2012 British GP - Silverstone Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2012 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit

schumifan wrote:No doubt I will be shooting myself on the foot, but I can see a strong Mercedes and a strong Schumacher - a typical fan boy comment, but I feel confident about this - here's hoping!
Yes, he has very big arms. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

razorbum

I hope to see a Schumacher, Vettel/Hamilton and Alonso podium. Of course Rosberg, Raikkonen and Grosjean are extremely deserving drivers too.

So many good drivers on the grid this season. Hope it turns out to be another great race like Valencia.

SiLo

I just want to see a result that puts Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton all on similar points again. And it should stay that way until the last race :P
Felipe Baby!

Princey

ajdavison2 wrote:Is anyone actually going? I am and would like to meet any of you for a few cans, and some crack on :) Also from anyones experience what does the general admission ticket grant you'? Does it allow for the pit lane walks? or just admission into the stands?
Unfortunately General Admission grants you neither of those.. (although you can get into the grandstands on fridays with the GA tickets during practice but thats all) it does grant you sitting against the fences in a scrum of people and getting up rediculously early on Sunday in order to be able to see something.. but it's the atmosphere and close proximity to the cars that is the fun part :)
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.

raymondu999

SiLo wrote:I just want to see a result that puts Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton all on similar points again. And it should stay that way until the last race :P
Well Alonso DNF, Vettel win and Hamilton P2 will put them on 111, 110 and 106...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ajdavison2 wrote:Is anyone actually going? I am and would like to meet any of you for a few cans, and some crack on :) Also from anyones experience what does the general admission ticket grant you'? Does it allow for the pit lane walks? or just admission into the stands?
The GA ticket gets you through the gate and that's it.

Makes sure you take a set of waterproofs and a hat/suncream because there is no cover around the circuit unless you're in the shadow of a grandstand so the rain tends to hit hard and the sun is unrelenting if it does come out. I remember getting horrendous sunburn on the back of my legs in '96 whilst watching qualifying because the wind made it feel quite cool in the sunshine. Very unpleasant for a few days thereafter and watching the race was very uncomfortable.

You need to be in the circuit very early to have a chance of securing a decent spot in the popular locations. If you're going with a friend then it's ok because you can take turns wandering off. If not, be prepared to lose your spot if you need to take a loo break etc. If you're lucky another punter might hold your spot for you - be nice to your neighbours :D

If you're there for the weekend, make an effort to walk around the entire circuit during a practise session - you'll get a good idea of the best views. I particularly like the entry to Maggotts as the cars are at their closest to the fence and they then sweep, at 170mph, in to Becketts. You get a real feel for the speed and fury of these machines there. Standing on the outside of Copse (the old first corner) allows you to see the high speed direction change as they turn in to the corner at nearly 180mph. A good spot is also by Chapel (the last corner before the Hanger Straight). You get to see the cars run through the Maggotts/Becketts complex. If you're careful, you can find part of the old track here too with a bit of kerbing still painted red and white. I hope it's still there - I haven't looked for a couple of years.

The view across to the pits from the opposite side of the old Farm Straight (now the start / finish straight) is a bit rubbish from ground level because the pitlane is cut in to the ground. Last year, the old Bridge corner was still in place although I believe they are intending to remove the old section of track from Abbey to Brooklands which is a crying shame. Have a look if you have time - if it's still there then you'll get a great idea of the commitment required for this fine old corner. I sat on the ground in several places "on the racing line" and you really get a sense of how challenging it must have been.

There is a lot of spectator space on the outside of Luffield and, with the right lens and a box to stand on, you can get some good shots of the cars cornering here. There is also scope for overtakes in this complex too as it's after the DRS zone.

Oh, and be prepared to spend a lot of time being bored - race day is several hours of nothing, an hour and a half of race and then the boredom of trying to get home though the crowds and traffic. If you're with friends then you can at least have a wander about to alleviate the boredom. Lots of people take a good book with them to pass the time between getting to their spot at 6-7am and the race build up from about 12:00.

Oh, and try to avoid drinking too much beer - the toilets can be a distance away and you don't want to miss the race because you're popping for a pee every 10 minutes or fell asleep and got sunburnt (assuming the sun actually comes out to play).

It's a good idea to try to get a spot near a big screen because it makes following the race much easier - it's remarkably difficult to know what's going on without that or a decent radio to pick up commentary.

Take food and water with you - it's pretty pricey at the circuit.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mr Alcatraz

FWIW According to my sources chance of rain 70% all three days!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

razorbum

SiLo wrote:I just want to see a result that puts Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton all on similar points again. And it should stay that way until the last race :P
I hope to see a rookie winning. Like Grosjean.

Hail22

Second last update before the weekend begins:

Qualifying:

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Alonso
4. Gro
5. Schumacher
6. Vettel
7. Rosberg
8. Massa
9. Raikkonen (steering issue)
10. Button

Race top 5:

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Gro
5. Vettel
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

razorbum

Hail22 wrote:Second last update before the weekend begins:

Qualifying:

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Alonso
4. Gro
5. Schumacher
6. Vettel
7. Rosberg
8. Massa
9. Raikkonen (steering issue)
10. Button

Race top 5:

1. Hamilton
2. Alonso
3. Webber
4. Gro
5. Vettel
That's a good list. I hope I see Grosjean finish above Webber though. Think he deserves a good position. Can't see him anywhere above Alonso though. Maybe Hamilton will retire again.

ParanoiD

I say, the more the merrier
Ay Carumba!

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

just rewatching the 2011 race and i remembered the pitlane is very short, so much so that they had to give stop and go penalties rather than drive through penalties. I think it should mean that teams will favour more pitstops, so we should see a 3 stopper.

raymondu999

Yup. And because of...well because the 1st garage is so close to the pit exit - it's a disadvantage to the WCC team, because the car's don't even hit the pit limiter before it hits pit exit. So the limiter doesn't even get engaged when the driver leaves the pits. This speed disadvantage is carried through the long flat-out left hander into Village.

The pit location is similar to Canada. You miss the last few corners, as well as Turn 1 - you feed directly into Turn 2, albeit off-line. The pit entry is also tricky in that if someone is right ahead of you, you're pitting and he's not, you'll have to brake early to not hit the guy ahead, before accelerating into the pitlane.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

Gerhard Berger wrote:just rewatching the 2011 race and i remembered the pitlane is very short, so much so that they had to give stop and go penalties rather than drive through penalties. I think it should mean that teams will favour more pitstops, so we should see a 3 stopper.
Not really that the pit lane is short, but that the track that covers that distance is especially long, and slow compared to most places.