POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.

Do you think voting on posts should be open to all?

Yes.
15%
Not to new users, until after a certain time or number of posts.
23%
No, it's fine as is.
35%
No. Voting & Reputation should be removed completely.
27%

Total votes: 92

xpensive

Re: POLL: Do you think voting on posts should be open to all

So did I, again only in spirit of course as I am a most responsible citizen of this fine forum.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

my take on this :
we have lost some excellent contributors over the years for reasons of the change of forum members ,growth and other factors .Unfortunatelly I´m not the only one who misses some of these bright guys who actually had also a great sense of humor.
Has the forum gained or lost value with the voting ? i doubt this.I´d prefer to not think about votes .I´m not basing my future plans on vote count anyways .

SeijaKessen

marcush. wrote:my take on this :
we have lost some excellent contributors over the years for reasons of the change of forum members ,growth and other factors .Unfortunatelly I´m not the only one who misses some of these bright guys who actually had also a great sense of humor.
Has the forum gained or lost value with the voting ? i doubt this.I´d prefer to not think about votes .I´m not basing my future plans on vote count anyways .
While I have not been here overly long marcus, the departure of Manchild I thought was a huge loss. Certainly there were those who didn't agree with him on various things, but he had an incredible wealth of F1 knowledge dating back to before the formation of F1 when we just had Grand Prix racing. He was vocal, but he had a lot of passion for what he believed in. I hope he'll come back at some point.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

richard_leeds wrote:I'm slightly underwhelming as far as evil dictators are concerned. Mods don't have super powers on this, we only have one up or down vote. :?

Can the mods see who has voted for what?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:So did I, again only in spirit of course as I am a most responsible citizen of this fine forum.
I gave him a real vote, maybe I'll make it back to 0.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mx_tifoso

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:I'm slightly underwhelming as far as evil dictators are concerned. Mods don't have super powers on this, we only have one up or down vote. :?
Si. And when.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso

I've moved out the recent off topic posts to the out of thread thread. Let's keep this thread for legitimate comments about the voting system.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive

Ah, but just fagedid...strad has been right all the time, this forum has lost every twinkle in the eye to the St*si.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mx_tifoso wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Si. And when.

Any patterns emerging?
More could have been done.
David Purley

Steven
Owner

@JET : Some patterns indeed. Creators of those patterns have been explaining how the system is meant to be used. Where needed, I downvoted posts which I didn't think were worth the upvote (that is one downvote per post of course, nobody can do more than that).

marcush.

I´m amazed that 747 has collected 14 votes already and he is away from this site since years ....

xpensive

marcush. wrote:I´m amazed that 747 has collected 14 votes already and he is away from this site since years ....
The mods must have missed that, there must be some unwritten rule against that, he should be downvoted asap!

strad

The problem with this whole thing has reared it's ugly head..
You get down voted for having an opinion...and that by the mods. what a joke!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

@strad, as pointed out repeatedly, and as the tooltips and the FAQ explain, the voting system is there to reward valuable an interesting posts, not posts that express an opinion that you accidentally agree with.
In addition to that, you can also see in the votelist that downvotes are a very very small minority of all votes.

strad

Tomba wrote:@strad, as pointed out repeatedly, and as the tooltips and the FAQ explain, the voting system is there to reward valuable an interesting posts, not posts that express an opinion that you accidentally agree with.
In addition to that, you can also see in the votelist that downvotes are a very very small minority of all votes.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean,
But I think it's working like I predicted and not like you guys intended.
Quite frankly I've come to the mind that Mods shouldn't even be allowed to vote.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss