Autodesk Falcon

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
tomislavp4

Re: Autodesk Falcon

astracrazy wrote:its clearly not as good as paid software, but for free and easy to use its a start.
It is a technology-preview and as such it looks pretty promising. I like how it is developed to be focused on exterior automotive design, it gives Cd and Df values without the user telling it to and isn´t crowded with options that aren´t needed for automotive development.

In it´s current form it really isn´t useful though. As I said before it lacks rolling floor and rotating bodies, features that are very important in this area. The model even sits a couple of dm above the floor and cannot be moved closer to it! That alone makes the Df-value meaningless, doesn´t it? You cannot specify boundary-conditions either. Even if these features were incorporated, I´d still be doubtful of the results. It´s just too fast.

N12ck

I cant see any obvious place where the overall Cd and Df figures are displayed
Budding F1 Engineer

Monster_Energy_F1

Anyone got a link for the Plugin?

tomislavp4

N12ck wrote:I cant see any obvious place where the overall Cd and Df figures are displayed
Choose 3D simulation wait untill the flow lines appear and look at the bottom of the window, right beneath the model. It should say Cd:xxx ; Fd:xxx there is also an arrow next to the values, click it for a graph.

RicME85

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Anyone got a link for the Plugin?
just google Sketchup STL plugin

N12ck

I dont really rate it as a CFD solver or any sort of credible analysis, I have used openfoam before, and from experience, I dont think this one is very good, the problems are:

cannot choose mesh size,
cant gain pressure gradients on the surface of the object,
results dont really 'converge' ,
cannot do much with customizing boundary conditions,
no rolling road,
no turning wheels,

overall I would say as a simple tool to see what the velocity looks like or pressure looks like around a wing it is okay, but other than that I dont think its a very good CFD solver for development.

:D
Budding F1 Engineer

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

yes, openfoam is undoubetdly a better tool in the right hands, at least two automotive oems use it

N12ck

Greg Locock wrote:yes, openfoam is undoubetdly a better tool in the right hands, at least two automotive oems use it
I managed an analysis at home and I can deffinatley say it is a far superior program to this, this I don't think gives reliable data which can be used to develop with, well not accurately :D
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

It wont let me convert stuff i need help lol
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

It isnt that great Dan, I would say stick to solidworks :D
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy
astracrazy

of course 100% solidworks, openfoam etc are better. This is just better than nothing

If i had solidworks or could use/understand openfoam i'd use it :D
tomislavp4 wrote: The model even sits a couple of dm above the floor and cannot be moved closer to it!.
I think you can adjust the test area size so i'm guessing you can adjust the y min height which i'm guessing (haven't tried) will move the model closer to the floor (or floor closer to the model)

tomislavp4

astracrazy wrote:I think you can adjust the test area size so i'm guessing you can adjust the y min height which i'm guessing (haven't tried) will move the model closer to the floor (or floor closer to the model)
Must´ve missed that. It does bring the model closer to the floor alright, but you still cannot make the model touch the floor.

N12ck

astracrazy wrote:of course 100% solidworks, openfoam etc are better. This is just better than nothing

If i had solidworks or could use/understand openfoam i'd use it :D
tomislavp4 wrote: The model even sits a couple of dm above the floor and cannot be moved closer to it!.
I think you can adjust the test area size so i'm guessing you can adjust the y min height which i'm guessing (haven't tried) will move the model closer to the floor (or floor closer to the model)
openfoam is relatively easy to use once you have learned it, only problem is you need linux to run it, and a decent computer :D
Budding F1 Engineer

astracrazy
astracrazy

i have tried it before, have to try again. I think half the problem was trying to understand how to use the linux interface

what does the cd and fd stand for on Falcon?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

mirror image

with a moving floor the streamline at floor level operates at free field speed and is straight, with no boundary condition.

So if you set two bodies as mirror images, separated by twice the ride height, the streamline between them is straight, and has free field velocity (approximately) and no boundary layer. So it is how people used to get around not having moving floors in wind tunnels.