Maria de Villotta injured in testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Callum

Re: Marussia driver injured in testing

Ray wrote:So, maybe find out the facts before making statements like that? Or is that too logical?
You've been here too long to expect logic from these boards...

Ray

I hate to say it, and it's a terrible thing to happen, but for all we know she could have caused this accident because of her inexperience. Having that truck there is no fault of Marussia, and saying it's not a good idea to drive for a lower level team is asinine. I suppose double world champion Alonso should have skipped driving for Minardi? Not everyone is Lewis Hamilton and has their career handed to them on a plate from the age of 8. These teams exist for a reason and saying this accident happened because it was Marussia is stupid. It's a terrible accident to happen and I hope the best for her, but let's not start pointing fingers until we have facts and not supposition.

n smikle wrote: I think that is why they don't allow cars to drive INTO the garage during an F1 weekend. You drive PARALLEL then the car is brought in by mechanics.
No, you can drive a car in nose first all you want, but it makes no sense to. They pull parallel to the garages to lay down rubber in their pitboxes, and back the cars in because it's easier and safer to pull out nose first that to try and back up a car that has no business backing up. This accident has nothing to do with that reason.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Hope she gets well soon my thoughts today have been with her and her family and team, we need women to enter F1, even in a TD role in my opinion.

As for straight-line tests, these need to be looked at for safety. The way they are set up needs to be looked at; McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and Sauber use the Iadia test track in Barcelona, this is a purpose built facility. Force India, Caterham and Marussia use Duxford, however they all use a different set up, Marussia use a side on set up where the driver draws up along side a marquee and the team reverse the car into the marquee as if it were a pit garage. However Force India and Caterham use a In = Out layout where the driver comes in one side of the marquee and exits the other side. However i have seen Force India use a different set up due to space constraints, he driver (Hulkenberg) stopped around 40-50 meters away from the trucks and the mechanics reversed him from there. Basically he did it in a safe zone.

This is another argument for In Season Testing to return for me, teasing at a track like Silverstone is safer as they are purpose built, using temporary facilities at Duxford is not feasible ay more.

Id be happy for the 4 straight-line days to be converted into 9 days track testing, but only 2 in season tests are allowed, teams can choose 6 days at Mugello, Silverstone or Yas Marina and 2 of those days are set aside for young or developmental drivers. However one day track testing can be converted into 2 days full scale in the tunnel.

Lets be sane about things, lets get back onto a properly controlled environment, a safe environment, where the worst for Marussia would have been a broken front wing or a nose, and the worst for Maria would have been a slightly bruised ego.

Mr Alcatraz

marcush.
marcush.

too far away to be able to make a qualified statement ...but tailgate lifts are dangerous items .I witnessed one crashing down in Lemans paddock a few years ago hitting a mechanic ...who needed to be taken to hospital.
You just cannot leave those at anything but closed or fully open and lowered to the ground to minimise risks.that´s not saying Marussia did anything wrong

PlatinumZealot

Ray wrote:So, maybe find out the facts before making statements like that? Or is that too logical?
I know the facts. Do you?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Image
The truck has no rear guards? anyway.. I still am of the opinion that operationally this could have been different.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ray

n smikle wrote:
I know the facts. Do you?
The only thing you know is that an accident happened.

element
element

Spanish newspapers re reporting that Maria is undergoing brain surgery, maybe due to internal skull bleeding, who knows...
I just hope she recovers quickly.

bill shoe
bill shoe

BBC radio presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said De Villota's car had ploughed into the truck after suddenly accelerating.

"She got into the car, fired it up and did a test run at probably about 200mph in the rain," Mann said.

"The car was slightly misfiring but there didn't seem to be any concerns.

"She came back into the area we were in with the engineers. She slowed down but then suddenly, inexplicably accelerated through the crowd and smashed into the side of the truck.
Pedal misapplication.

Hail22

Do you think this accident will re-ignite the closed cockpit debate?

Hope she makes a full recovery.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Basing that off of a freak accident with a stationary lorry is the last thing we need in F1. Remember that F1 cars spend extremely little time near these trucks, therefore catering to that is not necessary. F1 cars belong and spend 99% of their running time on a dedicated grade 1 level circuit.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

Hail22 wrote:Do you think this accident will re-ignite the closed cockpit debate?

Hope she makes a full recovery.
This accident will reignite whatever subject people chose to inflame. For some, that will be to question women's place in motorsport. But, they'll likely just allude to it, because, ironically, they usually don't have the stones to be forthright about their feelings. Others will question the wisdom of contemporary testing regulations. And, yes, some will even question the merits of open-cockpit racing.

A small group will opine about the absurdity of the prevalent opinions of others. (That's me.)

It will only be the smallest group who recognizes that accidents are simply part and parcel to the realities of life. They happen, and when they do, you move on with the knowledge that something will happen again no matter what you do.

jon-mullen

Best wishes to her for a full and speedy recovery.

I'd be sorry to see conversation regarding this center around her being a woman. To me the two obvious issues are the open cockpits and the lack of testing. Regarding the open cockpits, it's in the DNA of F1. F1 is on par in danger with many other sports and I don't think closed cockpits are necessary. Regarding testing, though, Marussia didn't feel comfortable replacing Timo Glock with her. If this were a bigger/faster team, there would've been a lot more questions about one car's absence damaging the spectacle. If a driver can get a superlicense and a gig as a third driver, they ought to have enough seat time to get comfortable to a point where they can replace an ill driver.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

FW17

bhallg2k wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Do you think this accident will re-ignite the closed cockpit debate?

It will only be the smallest group who recognizes that accidents are simply part and parcel to the realities of life.
This would have been avoided if there had been a canopy. Wonder how many more signs are needed before FIA implement safety in this area