Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
CMSMJ1

Re: Formula E

So, the first race of the season this weekend.

Seemingly about as invisible as a well hidden chameleon - no news, no 'buzz' and generally a racing series desperately drowning and no-one looking on.

My son likes it and I guess I will watch it (because racing..)

Anyone actually bothered with this series? If it disappeared would anyone care, or notice?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Big Tea

CMSMJ1 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 17:06

Seemingly about as invisible as a well hidden chameleon - no news, no 'buzz' and generally a racing series desperately drowning and no-one looking on.

Anyone actually bothered with this series? If it disappeared would anyone care, or notice?
I watched it fervently for the first period, determined that it was going to be a success, so stick with it.
No matter how hard I tried I could find no connection with it, and eventually felt so much that it was all about betting the sub 18's to be involved with the result I had to give up. No I would not miss it one bit.
They may as well have some celebrity drivers at a music festival. Well I say music festival, more like a DJ spintime.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

CMSMJ1 wrote:

I might take a look, but it has never really grabbed me.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

the EDGE

CMSMJ1 wrote:

I’ve tried to watch several times, the tracks are sterile and the sound is unpleasant… so even with the new McLaren team to pique my interest, I will still not be watching, and would not be bothered if it disappears

coaster

Its such an injustice that they locked in the apalling 1 make aero package when they made a giant leap in performance, if only next season could see an aero war begin, that would really unlock alot of interest in series, (and they might go faster also).

CMSMJ1

The general feeling then? It is bobbins!

It is a shame as there are some superb drivers and some strong manufacturer presence in a series that has zero fan engagement, poor venues and generally poor races*

The cars are slow. The tracks have mostly been terrible. The drivers have been so much better than the series deserved. Definitely a deeper reserve of talent than Indy, and probably better than F2 in some seasons!

* I have watched all of them I think. Some were OK..
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Big Tea

CMSMJ1 wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 23:14
The general feeling then? It is bobbins!

It is a shame as there are some superb drivers and some strong manufacturer presence in a series that has zero fan engagement, poor venues and generally poor races*

The cars are slow. The tracks have mostly been terrible. The drivers have been so much better than the series deserved. Definitely a deeper reserve of talent than Indy, and probably better than F2 in some seasons!

* I have watched all of them I think. Some were OK..
Racing is something that happens between texting and partying.

wogx

Anyone watching now?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

coaster

I must say the Mexico race had good pace, i like the commentry also, f1 has a horse racing commentator who s##ts me to tears, this guy calling the formula e race is easy to listen to.

jjn9128

coaster wrote:
15 Jan 2023, 11:34
I must say the Mexico race had good pace, i like the commentry also, f1 has a horse racing commentator who s##ts me to tears, this guy calling the formula e race is easy to listen to.
Where in the world are you and which F1 coms do you listen to? Croft is a numpty. Jack Nicholls does (or at least did) the F1 for BBC radio too. He seems to genuinely get excited (Murray Walker esque) rather than just shouting for the sake of it.

It was an okay race. The cars are on edge which I like, but they're still fugly. That said I like the low DF aero and super hard tyres combo.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CMSMJ1

Watched it. Was bored.

Cars are small and flighty looking but the drivers are so far away from driving them on their limits that it is a procession.

In what world did it become normal for racing vehicles to have pace restrictions on them in races? Why are we not seeing vehicles ragged within an inch of their lives? Power limited/fuel limited/tyre limited formulae are very irritating.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Big Tea

CMSMJ1 wrote:
16 Jan 2023, 13:15
Watched it. Was bored.

Cars are small and flighty looking but the drivers are so far away from driving them on their limits that it is a procession.

In what world did it become normal for racing vehicles to have pace restrictions on them in races? Why are we not seeing vehicles ragged within an inch of their lives? Power limited/fuel limited/tyre limited formulae are very irritating.
The drivers time is better spent on social media so they get the votes.
On the edge 100% of the time looking for 100th, or 90% and use the social perks to catch up?

coaster

They would need a chicken wire ceiling to have no limits, without batteries and an endless source of current those cars would really fly.

Wouter

What may have seemed like a fairly harmless crash has resulted in the worst injury of his career for Robin Frijns. The Limburg driver underwent five hours of surgery in Mexico City and was only able to leave intensive care about 24 hours after the relevant moment at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Frijns (31) retired on Saturday during the opening race of the ninth Formula E season, the fully electric class of the FIA, in the first lap after hitting Norman Nato in front. His team ABT Cupra first thought it was 'just' a broken wrist.

"But I not only broke my left wrist, but also four fractures in my hand," says Frijns. "I was really in pain. Fortunately, I am now out of intensive care and on painkillers, but the pain has certainly not gone away. It is quite a sight.”

It is still unknown how long his recovery will take, but Frijns will be out of circulation for the time being. "The bone was sticking out of my hand, no fun," said the Limburger, with a sense of understatement. "This is certainly the worst injury in my career. And hopefully it will stay the same here.”
The Power of Dreams!

tok-tokkie

Formula-E will be in Cape Town on February 25 for the first time. I live high up on Signal Hill overlooking the track (in middle distance).

What is really ironic is the state of our national electrical infrastructure. It has been run into the ground with minimal maintenance & new builds to the extent that areas have to be switched off on a rotational basis - referred to as '"load shedding" - to prevent the total collapse into a national black out. It goes in stages depending on how much is broken down. On Monday it was stage 8 which meant that here (where the track is) power was off for 10 hours. 4:00-8:00 14:00-16:00 & 20:00-24:00. I have not heard what arrangement is going to be made for the race. The track has been prepared (resurfacing in places) & some of the temporary stands have already been erected.

I have only briefly watched it on tv in the past but identical cars with different names & paint schemes does not interest me. It is the technical variety & corresponding differentiation that intrigues me.