2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ell66

Re: 2012 Singaporean GP - Marina Bay

Shrieker wrote:It's too optimistic to think that Lewis can win all the remaining races. Even if he does, it's still overly optimistic thinking that it'll be enough to catch Alonso. You never know though, that's the beauty of the thing. Let's wait and see. But I'm not holding my breath.
indeed, its a cliché but he just needs to takes 1 at a time, if he can string a few wins together (2-3) and alonso finally has some misfortune it can turn very very quickly.

LionKing

Shrieker wrote:It's too optimistic to think that Lewis can win all the remaining races. Even if he does, it's still overly optimistic thinking that it'll be enough to catch Alonso. You never know though, that's the beauty of the thing. Let's wait and see. But I'm not holding my breath.
The very optimistic part is Lewis winning all of the last 6.

But once he does indeed manage to win 6 then he will very very likely be the champion. He is 52 points down. 6 wins will erase a minimum of 42 points of deficit. All he needs is Alonso losing another 10 points compared to scenario where Alonso finishes 2nd in all Lewis wins.

i.e. If Alonso gets a 3rd and 5th, Lewis is champion. Alonso two 4th position finishes, Lewis champion, etc...
Alonso had a real good run and was averaging 14 points a race. At this rate he would lose 66 points of 150 points possible. So with no mechanical failures and fastest car it is doable, especially if Button gets his act together and Mclaren gets a few 1-2s.

Gerhard Berger

Last time someone won 6 races in a row was Schumacher in 2004 - and that car was hugely dominant, whilst Williams and Mclaren had dropped the ball that season.

I think it is a tall order for Hamilton to win the last 6 races.

Gerhard Berger

ell66 wrote:
indeed, its a cliché but he just needs to takes 1 at a time, if he can string a few wins together (2-3) and alonso finally has some misfortune it can turn very very quickly.
Alonso already had misfortune in Spa and Monza (if you want to call mechanical problems as simply misfortune).

SiLo

Such a shame for Hamilton, but it's nice to see him just racing really well again.

Vettel again sneaking a win, gotta hand it to him, he's there when it counts!
Felipe Baby!

ChipAyten

Red Bull generally does well on technical street circuits so if last you said Vettel would win I doubt anyone would have been shocked. But after this weekend it does seem that Hamilton could of had an easy path to victory if not for the gearbox problem. With Jenson finishing second I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will be out in force again.

What's more surprising and nice to see is for a second GP in a row we have a middle of the pack team in the top 5 with Paul di Resta's strong race. For several years now we've seen F1 try to level the playing field, and now we're perhaps seeing the fruits of their labor.

marcush.

I feel the slashing out of penalties is not correct .
the one thing thy got right is with Grosjean though.

Nando

The finger wins again...................

Too bad for Hamilton but i think he can turn this around. It was apparent he got this race in his hands until that...
He just reacted on Vettel´s actions and would have been able to do that all race.

I can´t read more articles on Autosport.com but it said he was "cruising" the last few laps.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

RB7ate9

CHT wrote:
what it meant is the the winner and 2nd place has got the biggest point difference, so if any of the driver from Redbull or Mclaren doesnt win regularly, while Alonso continue to finishes in 3 ot 4th, then alonso will have a good chance of winning the championship.

That's a key point. What I'm guessing is that Mclaren will have a hard time swallowing the notion of putting more effort behind Lewis while Red Bull will swallow that pill with gusto. Red Bull is on the bubble in terms of a double-championship hat-trick, that prize is not so easily let go of. If the teams were smart, Ferrari would continue to pump Alonso, Mclaren with Hamilton, Red Bull with Vettel. Lotus ought to continue splitting effort between Grosjean and Kimi, as they're both drivers that need points and finishes leading into 2013.

Nando

Remember Alo also had a nice dose of luck here too!

2 guys in front of him DNF´s.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Hobbs04

xzolien wrote:12th for Glock.. looks like 10th place for Marussia this year :)
Why aren't we talking about Timo? Bravo! Just behind Webber.

RB7ate9

Hobbs04 wrote:
xzolien wrote:12th for Glock.. looks like 10th place for Marussia this year :)
Why aren't we talking about Timo? Bravo! Just behind Webber.
Why aren't there more articles talking about Massa and Webber's overtakes throughout the track? Case in point, Webber's overtake on Perez before the DRS zone but after the detection point, which meant Webber could speed off with DRS open! Also, good overtakes on Force India. Good show for Massa.

Chuckjr

beelsebob wrote:I'm not entirely sure I'd call overtaking a torro rosso "got his mojo back".
Sorry I'm late, but just had to say that was hilarious. Thank you lol.
Watching F1 since 1986.

NonNewtonic

Nando wrote:Remember Alo also had a nice dose of luck here too!

2 guys in front of him DNF´s.
Actually it's only one as Maldanaldo retired behind Alonso

Chuckjr

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/ ... x_problem/

My thought is, at this level of racing with this much at stake, don't you just replace everything on that right assembly you can w/o penalty just to be sure? I mean with these budgets and such fragile suspension? It seems even a hairline off on these cars and they explode. Even if its fine you can just reuse the part later anyway so why not change all you can just to be sure? Is that just not an automatic thing to be 1000% sur for some reason?

That's real questions I'm not venting.
Watching F1 since 1986.