How is the forum rating system doing?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
George-Jung

Re: How is the forum rating system doing?

Giblet wrote: That is not the intention and unfortunate people view it that way.

If you post good stuff, you will be popular.
I know it is not the intention, but you are damn right lots of people view it that way..
*not only here, but everywhere.. people just want to be popular..

Pierce89

Giblet wrote:
hollus wrote:Welcome back, Giblet!!!
Amazing how mods often suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome, it is a tough world in the interwebz! Good to see another one recover from it!
Thanks man :) You were not an issue. When I had people so bothered and tracked me down on Facebook and attempted to shame me with lies in front of my friends and family, I decided that was enough. I had to change my Facebook name to stop it, and block someone.
That's sad
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

flyboy2160

The vote button instruction is "Rate this post as valuable and informative."

Can one imagine a situation in which a person agrees with the post, but finds it NOT valuable and informative? So that button becomes a default combined expression of This-is-a-valuable-and-informative-post-and-I-agree-with-it. Unless there are a separate "valuable" and "agree" ratings, I can't see how the current situation can be avoided. (And let's add a separate "This is funny" rating. Forget the Tech ratings, lets' see who are the funny guys here. :wink: )

What we have now is certainly better than a slew of 1 line posts "+1 with a smiley" that flood many other blogs and forums.

Pierce89

Sorry for getting slightly off topic, but who thinks, that while speaking to someone you've argued with for years, the phrase "You're kinda dense" deserves a week long ban? I just wanted the opinion of some here.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall

WhiteBlue wrote:The whole system is much more an exercise in sympathy than anything else. I opened a thread on the revolutionary carbon technology of the BMW i3. All I got for my effort was one down vote although I provided lots of data and links for people to find information about the issue "automotive technology". When you see this you get frustrated a bit when some intellectually challenged individuals get hundreds of up votes because they are popular.
I guess that depends on how one defines "intellectually challenged." For me, that seems like a pretty apt description for anyone who consistently presents for discussion unsubstantiated claims or other nonsense and then argues vociferously when other people, often experts in the field, point out the errors. It is indeed difficult not to get a bit frustrated when the pattern repeats itself over and over again, almost as if the person genuinely has a learning disability.

So, yeah, I share your concern.

strad

I think at least one new mod is a little flush with his new found power.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

flyboy2160

Pierce89 wrote:Sorry for getting slightly off topic, but who thinks, that while speaking to someone you've argued with for years, the phrase "You're kinda dense" deserves a week long ban? I just wanted the opinion of some here.
I gave you that ban because just prior to that you defied a warning to stop off-topic bashing Helmut with a reply post ~ "I'll bash Helmut in any thread I want." That got you a 1 day ban.

You followed up with your disrespectful "dense" comment despite online admonitions and stated F1T guidelines about not disrespecting other users. So obviously, a 1 day ban didn't have any effect. The mods have agreed to implement only "standard" length bans; 1 day is the minimum, then 1 week. Since you'd didn't pay attention to a 1 day ban, you got a 1 week ban.

So stop playing the innocent victim and just own up to what you did. If you want to keep bashing Helmut and disrespectfully attacking other users, you can expect to keep getting banned.

Your civil comments are welcome, but this place tries to be more civil than other social media and blogs.

flyboy2160

strad wrote:I think at least one new mod is a little flush with his new found power.
No, I'm not a power freak, some users just don't want to adhere to the posting guidelines here despite warnings.

strad

And you allow no leeway.
What we have now is certainly better than a slew of 1 line posts "+1 with a smiley" that flood many other blogs and forums.
flyboy2160
Moderator Joined: 25 Apr 2011
As I said there are times were nothing more is needed.
You pushing the upvote as a form of approval is no just as destructive as far as discouraging wordy discourse which is what you claim to want to encourage?? Odd me thinks.
I've never seen the issue pushed before.
BTW they are emoticons not smileys..they convey emotion.
Whatever the case as you have so pointed out..You hold the hammer. So it's your way or the highway. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

turbof1

Are we really discussing this here?

@Strad: you are trying to play the cliché-card here: that we are power-crazy dictators. We aren't; moderators are infact almost the same as normal members. The sole difference is that we safe-guard discussions from moving away from their purpose. We ask everybody to abide the directions, including other moderators themselves. We certainly aren't above what we demand, and what we demand is simply following the guidelines, which were laid out long before me and Steve were moderators.

Car threads are indeed very strictly moderated, and that's for a good reason. They are at the core of f1technical. People join us for those threads, not the team threads or the caption competition. It speaks for itself that these threads have a much higher moderation footprint, since they need to be strictly handled. The very nature of those threads don't give leeway, which is good, since they only are about the technicalities of the specific car, and not about how good one driver is to another, or laptimes, or whatever.

We always ask compliance for that. There's nothing difficult about that: it needs to be about what you can "touch" and "see" on the car. If people aren't willing to comply with that, they'll get a warning, not on their first infraction, but after several. If some persons think the rules still don't apply for them, further breaking them or showing insubordination, then realize they are putting us for the block: either we allow it and we loose every bit of credibility, which will result more and more members just ignoring requests for compliance, or we ban them to show them they are indeed bound to the rules.

Yes, we have more power, which also means more duties since we were given that power for a reason. People often forget we have a duty and only see the power.

@Pierce: flyboy didn't ban you just for that, you have to be fair about that. Rather, everything culminating up to and including that comment was motivating the ban. i'll give you another example: one member once told me to "go ahead, I don't give a toss about it". That same member received all week long PM's, not warnings at first, to be a bit more objective in his posts. Then when I finally gave him a warning, because he started to mock other members about drivers, and specifically stated further action would be taken if he didn't quit, he made that statement. We banned him. Not just for the comment, but because we gave him the message to stop his idiocity and he simply threw it back in our face.

(yeah sorry for the long PR talk :P.)
#AeroFrodo

Giblet

As someone who had to deal with this in the past, the line can be very clearly drawn.

Attack the post, not the poster. You can hammer every point in the post and dissect, and will never hear boo if you only attack/respond to the post.

Racing cars should never be about the poster, he is removed from his posts. Few people get offended if their post is incorrect and called out.

Just my opinion of course but it seems to line up with the idea that we can vote on posts and not posters.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

strad

when ya get in trouble for agreeing with someone or complimenting them, whilst rabble rousers run rampant somethings wrong.
Sir Stirling Moss

Giblet

Sort of what I saying, they look at posts. The posters don't really enter into it. If they had to go into context of the user for each post, they are now moderating users. At the risk of going off topic:

Why when I click on "view my votes" does it take me to all vote activity, where I then have to click "my votes".
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Steven
Owner

Giblet wrote:Sort of what I saying, they look at posts. The posters don't really enter into it. If they had to go into context of the user for each post, they are now moderating users. At the risk of going off topic:

Why when I click on "view my votes" does it take me to all vote activity, where I then have to click "my votes".
Because it's a bug that I will have to look into :oops:

Cam

Think there might be another bug - either that or I'm going crazy.

Example: thread "F1 Performance: is it the car, is it the driver?" - shows 35 points - but going through the thread and counting the +1's and -1's equals 6 (when I did it) - so where has the 35 come from ? Also, the thread did actually display 6 yesterday and then an hour after I looked, it displayed 35. This corresponded with a big reputation change for me from 102 to 95. Down votes are ok - but I cannot see 7 down votes in my reputation change history, during that hours time, to reflect that.

Can you confirm this is happening or is it something on my end i.e. cache or similar?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.