Solidworks, Help!

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
astracrazy

Re: Solidworks, Help!

heres a good plug in if you can't get solid inspector to work. just make a group, right click then fix solid. i've had best results selecting no and no on the settings. run it to create your solid then explode the group. obviously pm if you get stuck

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugin_details.php?id=793

cottrell: are you still importing as .dwg? you really need to try and use the above and get it so you can import .stl. it will save you so much time. what are you stuck on with the slow speed? using the pictures above, you can put - (minus) what ever number you want...

i'd rather you and ricme ask for help so we can get the whole .stl and solidworks working for you

CottrellGP

astracrazy wrote:heres a good plug in if you can't get solid inspector to work. just make a group, right click then fix solid. i've had best results selecting no and no on the settings. run it to create your solid then explode the group. obviously pm if you get stuck

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/plugin_details.php?id=793

cottrell: are you still importing as .dwg? you really need to try and use the above and get it so you can import .stl. it will save you so much time. what are you stuck on with the slow speed? using the pictures above, you can put - (minus) what ever number you want...

i'd rather you and ricme ask for help so we can get the whole .stl and solidworks working for you
Ill have a look at that pugin, and yes still exporting as .DWG because when i import as STL its just a flat image. Thanks for the help, ive been practising a lot the last week and got really used to it now, thanks to your help! :D
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy

i just got the error about the atleast 1 componant (no idea why). I tried running the import diagnostics and it solved it - something else you can try

CottrellGP

Just exported it as an .STL like you say and it say there has to be atleast one component
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy

CottrellGP wrote:Just exported it as an .STL like you say and it say there has to be atleast one component
when you use that plug in i posted last night, while its still a group (after you've run it), when you right click and select entity info. Does it give you a volume amount in meters cubed?

have you tried the import diagnostics? i think its under tools i think. It will bring up any problems with the model, and you can select to heal. When i had this problem last night it fixed it.

If this doesn't work I'm stuck mate..... Only over idea i can think of is build me a quick rear wing send it to me and i'll see what could be the problem in how your doing something?

The only thing it could be is i was at your and Ricme's stage of trying to get it to work before i started my model, so i've built this model understanding how it needs to be in solidworks. Like i say, if you want to build me something quickly, send it to me (pm me for e-mail) and i'll see if its the way your building your model

CottrellGP

It does give me a volume when i right click, and i cant run import dynamics fix thing when it is an STL ill have a fiddle around and send you one of my Sketchup front wing.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

astracrazy

you should be able to run the diagnostics? does it give you an error? Sometimes it comes up when you open a .stl asking you if you want to run it

if you have an old wing or just quickly make something? be better in the interest of the kvr challenge lol

astracrazy

must appreciated if someone knows the answer to this posted in aero forum
does anyone know how to do the following in solidworks

i want to simulate a floor (in this case it can be static) but i don't want it to be included in the results. Normally i'd set a global goal for force y and z (downforce and drag) but won't this also take the results from the floor? This is what i don't want i just want the floor to effect the results of my model. How can i do that?

krisfx

Rather than creating a new thread

I also need help with Solidworks

I'm trying to create a race helmet similar to an arai for a research project in university. Any help whatsoever/models you can donate would be much appreciated.

I'm looking into high speed buffeting in formula cars (so even the cockpit of a car would be a useful tool)

Thanks in advance

Smokes

Try this

http://grabcad.com/library/sparco-close ... et-3d-scan

You could create a proper editable part if you know how to use surfaces and 3d sketching. Rhino might be a quicker option when it comes to surfacing

krisfx

Smokes wrote:Try this

http://grabcad.com/library/sparco-close ... et-3d-scan

You could create a proper editable part if you know how to use surfaces and 3d sketching. Rhino might be a quicker option when it comes to surfacing
Needs to be editable in solidworks as it's more accurate afaik :(