2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

Really? Alonso can equal Vettel's wins, though I didn't check the other placings
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LionKing

raymondu999 wrote:Really? Alonso can equal Vettel's wins, though I didn't check the other placings
If he equals Vettel's wins, then it means that he will have won the next two races.

So in this scenario he will win by points...

raymondu999

Fair point. In any case, it makes the permutations calculations easier :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Chances of Alonso making it WDC have improved from three days ago. The Red Bull is still the superior car - and was surprisingly fast in race trim with the pit lane setup - but Alonso has closed the gap by four points. If he is lucky enough to finish both remaining races in front - or if Red Bull and Vettel mess up more times - he has a real chance to take it to the wire and win it. The other point is that Ferrari still have more development potential and can bring DDRS to the last two races. If that works they could beat Red Bull in Austin and also in Brazil. My money is on Vettel to make it as the vast majority of the betting money but I have to admit that Alonso makes it good to watch the show. Let this be a race of thrills and action like the last one. I would be happy with a championship decider in Interlagos. Both Austin and Interlagos deserve a good race as both are great places and superb venues of their own right. I'm extremely happy for the Austinites to have secured the race contract and build such a magnificent circuit. Hats off also to Tavo Hellmund for dreaming it up and having the vision that defined the place as the premium road racing venue of the USA. At least that is what I think of it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

beelsebob

WhiteBlue wrote:Chances of Alonso making it WDC have improved from three days ago. The Red Bull is still the superior car - and was surprisingly fast in race trim with the pit lane setup - but Alonso has closed the gap by four points. If he is lucky enough to finish both remaining races in front - or if Red Bull and Vettel mess up more times - he has a real chance to take it to the wire and win it. The other point is that Ferrari still have more development potential and can bring DDRS to the last two races. If that works they could beat Red Bull in Austin and also in Brazil. My money is on Vettel to make it as the vast majority of the betting money but I have to admit that Alonso makes it good to watch the show. Let this be a race of thrills and action like the last one. I would be happy with a championship decider in Interlagos. Both Austin and Interlagos deserve a good race as both are great places and superb venues of their own right. I'm extremely happy for the Austinites to have secured the race contract and build such a magnificent circuit. Hats off also to Tavo Hellmund for dreaming it up and having the vision that defined the place as the premium road racing venue of the USA. At least that is what I think of it.
Actually, alonso gained 3 points, he needed to gain an average of 4.33 per race previously. His chances have actually got slightly worse. He now needs an average of 5.5.

Joie de vivre

Vettel will be quick due to fast S corners where RedBull allways works great.

Lurk

Austin is a new track so there will be no bump: McLaren could perform well here and Hamilton should be capable of winning.
Plus Lotus performance are still unknown. Is Abu Dhabi an accident or are they a true contender for the last 2 races?

Oh, and there will be new alternators for Renault powerd cars :D

banibhusan

The Ferrari isn't bad either in high speed corners.

MarkedOne8

This type of circuit is simmilar to India.There are almost none terrain elevations on Silverstone.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

MarkedOne8

Kimi said they had speed even in India.It's really really important to start in front or have clean air.Lewis was in P1 - unstoppable until the SC.Kimi was in P1 - unstoppable until the second SC.He opened the gap to 8 seconds which was quite comfort.The tyres are now better known.Teams tend to use them better and have less pit-stops as season goes on.There is less and less space to overtake even during the pit-stop period.I don't want to think about what would happened if Kimi hadn't had so good start and got stucked somewhere around P4.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

WhiteBlue

beelsebob wrote:Actually, alonso gained 3 points, he needed to gain an average of 4.33 per race previously. His chances have actually got slightly worse. He now needs an average of 5.5.
I agree to your figures. I got the points wrong. Apologies for that. I disagree on the chances. You may be statistically right but the perception is different. Before Abu Dhabi they were 80/20 and now they are 78/22. Not a big change but a ray of hope for Alonso and the Tifosi. And from a technical PoV Ferrari's potential to gain qualy speed is still very high. So I'm looking forward to an enjoyable race again.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

beelsebob

WhiteBlue wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Actually, alonso gained 3 points, he needed to gain an average of 4.33 per race previously. His chances have actually got slightly worse. He now needs an average of 5.5.
I agree to your figures. I got the points wrong. Apologies for that. I disagree on the chances. You may be statistically right but the perception is different. Before Abu Dhabi they were 80/20 and now they are 78/22. Not a big change but a ray of hope for Alonso and the Tifosi. And from a technical PoV Ferrari's potential to gain qualy speed is still very high. So I'm looking forward to an enjoyable race again.
I guess the reason it looks more likely is that the expectation everyone had was that the gap would grow, and that it needed a miracle for Alonso to come back. Abu Dhabi gave is a hint that it might be possible for Alonso to compete.

godlameroso

The medium tire will be the tire of choice for the race and qualifying as the hard will have difficulty in getting up to temperature. I suspect it will be colder in Austin than in any other venue F1 has raced so far. One can only hope for a wet weather qualifying session to put Alonso on the front row, or maybe a race that starts wet and ends dry.
Saishū kōnā

SamH123

godlameroso wrote:The medium tire will be the tire of choice for the race and qualifying as the hard will have difficulty in getting up to temperature. I suspect it will be colder in Austin than in any other venue F1 has raced so far. One can only hope for a wet weather qualifying session to put Alonso on the front row, or maybe a race that starts wet and ends dry.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/4671654, looks pretty hot at the moment, that can't change too much in 2 weeks. It's going to be one of the hottest tracks I would imagine

Gerhard Berger

beelsebob wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
I guess the reason it looks more likely is that the expectation everyone had was that the gap would grow, and that it needed a miracle for Alonso to come back. Abu Dhabi gave is a hint that it might be possible for Alonso to compete.
Abu Dhabi was one of the weakest circuits for Ferrari in the run in. They seem to struggle in races with max downforce (Singapore and Hungary previously). The expectation was they would lose more ground.

However it is still a long shot. Realistially, he needs to win the next 2 races or hope that Vettel and Red Bull run into some more reliablity/operational problems.