2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP - Circuit of the Americas

Here are the official road closures surrounding the USGP at COTA:

...and here's a map of them from the Statesman:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

mx_tifoso

KATO wrote:Perez is expected to be the Home Driver here....
No.

Our home race could only be in Mexico. No other country could host our home race.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Mr Alcatraz

mx_tifoso wrote:
No.

Our home race could only be in Mexico. No other country could host our home race.
Thank you
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Mclaren track i think.
I'm not so sure. McLaren seem to be good in high speed corners, but suck in the high speed direction changes. They were good in Spa/Barcelona's high speed stuff, but when it came to flicking the car left and right through the quick stuff they haven't been stellar.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:Mclaren track i think.
I'm not so sure. McLaren seem to be good in high speed corners, but suck in the high speed direction changes. They were good in Spa/Barcelona's high speed stuff, but when it came to flicking the car left and right through the quick stuff they haven't been stellar.
True they haven´t been as strong in Suzuka for example but i don´t think it was a correct representation of the real speed around Suzuka..

T1-2 - RBR and Mclaren will be strong in the braking zone, perhaps RBR can toss the car in anbd downhill a little bit faster.

T3-5 - I think won´t be that crucial, they look way more straight then at Suzuka or Silverstone.

T6-9 - Is probably where the Red Bull will shine fully. Sort of backing of the speed as you go further into the complex.

T12-20 i think will be Mclaren territory, first the 12-15 corners which reminds me of Abu Dhabi, Singapore etc.
A perfect set of corners (for Mclaren i think) because for some reason their car runs very well in tight areas that are also pretty quick. So not Monaco tight but Abu Dhabi technical.

15-19 will be interesting, i think this one corner fits the Mclaren, it´s great in the really high speed corners with only one direction as you say.
Last two corners i think will only play in their strengths.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Last two corners i think will only play in their strengths.
"Their?"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:Last two corners i think will only play in their strengths.
"Their?"
Yea, should i say "we?" instead?

Last two corners should play into Mclaren´s strengths.

raymondu999

You were referring to Red Bull in half the post, and McLaren in the other half. How was I to know "their" meant "McLaren's?" :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

raymondu999 wrote:You were referring to Red Bull in half the post, and McLaren in the other half. How was I to know "their" meant "McLaren's?" :lol:
True but i separated everything and just spoke on Mclaren right before it. ;)

f1316

I think one of Ferrari's problem is not that they're slower than RB in qualifying, but that they're slower than Red Bull and a few other cars in qualifying. Alonso starting behind only two RBs has a decent chance to get a least one into the first corner, in which case, with the relative race pace, we'd have a decent race on our hands.

My point, as it pertains to this race, being that I think they have a better shot of doing that this weekend. It wasn't a huge surprise that a McLaren/Hamilton combination that was so fast in Singapore was fast in Abu Dhabi, but I'd be surprised if the McLaren we saw in Japan was fast here. Ferrari, on the other hand, were fast in Silverstone, fast in Spain, and even Massa looked pretty fast in Japan and Spa. I think the combination of the fast corners and long straights works in their favour relative to the a street circuit.

So whilst I think RB will still have a qualifying advantage over Ferrari, which is very important, whether other teams do is almost as important.

WhiteBlue

f1316, interesting POV. I agree.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

Despite all the negative talk before it doesn't look half as bad as Silverstone did before they build the dual carriage way in the 90ties. =D>
It would have obviously been better to agree on the necessary upgrades much earlier and have the stuff done for this race already but they seem to have reached a compromise which will somehow work for this race. One hopes that there is an improvement program in place for the future. I find it a bit hard for bicycle riders to park south of the airport to proceed with busses to the track. Hopefully this is a temporary measure which will only apply for one year.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

KATO

mx_tifoso wrote:
No.

The Vice President of the Circut of the Americas said Perez is the home driver here since its a track meant to represent The AMERICAS.. That's not my opinion they said it and for the record IDE love to see the Mexico Grand Prix take place..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

Mr Alcatraz

KATO wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:
No.

The Vice President of the Circut of the Americas said Perez is the home driver here since its a track meant to represent The AMERICAS.. That's not my opinion they said it and for the record IDE love to see the Mexico Grand Prix take place..
Could you provide a link please? I've searched high and low, and can find nothing along those lines. I also have some news for you. I don't know where you are from, but a driver from Jalisco Mexico would not be accepted in any formal or semi formal way in the State of Texas as it's home driver period.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Cam

Mr Alcatraz wrote:
KATO wrote:The Vice President of the Circut of the Americas said Perez is the home driver here since its a track meant to represent The AMERICAS.. That's not my opinion they said it and for the record IDE love to see the Mexico Grand Prix take place..
Could you provide a link please? I've searched high and low, and can find nothing along those lines. I also have some news for you. I don't know where you are from, but a driver from Jalisco Mexico would not be accepted in any formal or semi formal way in the State of Texas as it's home driver period.
So the 'Americas' in Circuit of the Americas, is plural though, more than one - North America & South America = Americas. Is this perhaps what the VP is referring too? There is no United States of Americas - it's singular, America. So the plural must represent something, or why use it?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.