Scuderia Ferrari 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hail22

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2013

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

fritticaldi

Pat Frye has confirmed Ferrari will continue in 2013 with the Pull Rod system they had in 2012.

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Nando

Horner paid a visit to the HQ according to rumors :)

http://www.yallaf1.com/2013/01/23/red-b ... aF1.com%29

Rumours Red Bull team boss Christian Horner recently visited Maranello emerged on Wednesday.

The German website motorsport-total.com reported leaks about the Briton’s secret Ferrari visit have been made to the Italian media.

The report said Horner met with Ferrari’s head of human resources, Mario Mairano, probably last month.

“The thought is that this is an attempt to indirectly gain access to the services of star designer Adrian Newey,” wrote journalist Christian Nimmervoll.

It is believed Horner and Newey always sign and renew their Red Bull contracts together.

Horner, understood to have a Red Bull contract until at least 2014, has also been previously linked to Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali’s job.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

stefan_

Alonso will not drive at opening Jerez test

Fernando Alonso will not take part in the opening pre-season test of the year, Ferrari confirmed on Thursday. The driving duties are instead set to be allocated between team-mate Felipe Massa and development driver Pedro de la Rosa.

Massa will start the team's 2013 Formula 1 preparations by driving on the 5, 6 and 7 of February in southern Spain, before de la Rosa makes his Ferrari debut on the final day of the test. Meanwhile, Alonso will be focusing on an 'intense' training regime.

For the second gathering at the Circuit de Catalunya, Alonso will enjoy the first three days of testing from 19-21 February, before Massa takes over for the fourth day. The final test, taking place at the same venue, will be split evenly between the pair.

Ferrari will launch its new contender at its Maranello factory on Friday 1 February. The presentation is set to be streamed live via the Italian team's official website.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

CjC
CjC

This's a bold move by Ferrari. Not that Alonso needs track time, but to give De La Rosa track time? Bizzare.
It can't be that the Ferrari is a dog (we don't know if it is or not) and needs a good test driver to sort it out, surely the best driver on the grid would be the better test drive? Alonso knows what he wants from the car to win, but how could Pedro know what Alonso wants from his car to win?
Just a fan's point of view

timbo

CjC wrote:This's a bold move by Ferrari. Not that Alonso needs track time, but to give De La Rosa track time? Bizzare.
It can't be that the Ferrari is a dog (we don't know if it is or not) and needs a good test driver to sort it out, surely the best driver on the grid would be the better test drive? Alonso knows what he wants from the car to win, but how could Pedro know what Alonso wants from his car to win?
Well, they worked alongside in McLaren and Alonso rates him highly.

CjC
CjC

Perdo is rated highly, but with testing so limited....
Then again, if I remember righly other teams have ran the test driver in the past so they arent doing anything that unusual. Anyway Ferrari know what they are doing better than I do
Just a fan's point of view

Mika1

Very strange move and it's hard to believe the reason. You should expect with all the limitations Alonso would drive as much as possible.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Lurk

Alonso ended last season in a very bad shape and for the first runs (evaluation of car reaction, finding reliability issues, piece comparaison, etc), DLR will be able to do the same work as Alonso.
Drivers like Alonso don't need 8 days of running to know how a car handles and setup refinement will come at the very end.

So good move IMO.

timbo

Lurk wrote:Alonso ended last season in a very bad shape
Strange to call 5 podium finishes in a row "a very bad shape". Being beaten by Massa two times in qualy might speak of some tiredness, but it might be just unhappy incidents.

Hail22

CjC wrote:Perdo is rated highly, but with testing so limited....
Then again, if I remember righly other teams have ran the test driver in the past so they arent doing anything that unusual. Anyway Ferrari know what they are doing better than I do
Put it this way...Pedro has been accustomed to pick up the smallest of issues, where as Alonso feels the car whilst racing on the circuit...now most people will say "How does this make them different".

During tests Pedro will literally be a human "Sensor" as he has been so used to driving sims and testing cars he will be able to pick up some things that Alonso may not.

Analogy (possibly incorrect this is reference to testing capabilities...by no means individual driver performance!)

Alonso: Fantastic driver, great at finding major and some small faults in the car whilst on race weekends...however In my humble opinion looks for medium to large performance gaps.

Pedro: A walking, talking and driving analyzing computer sensor, he can and probably does pick up small vibrational issues in not only suspension links, tyres, cockpit vibrations, etc...to me he seems more sensitive to his environment as he has been used to purely testing and analyzing data for Formula 1 teams most of his life.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

spadeflush

Hail22 wrote:
CjC wrote:Perdo is rated highly, but with testing so limited....
Put it this way...Pedro has been accustomed to pick up the smallest of issues, where as Alonso feels the car whilst racing on the circuit...now most people will say "How does this make them different".

During tests Pedro will literally be a human "Sensor" as he has been so used to driving sims and testing cars he will be able to pick up some things that Alonso may not.

Analogy (possibly incorrect this is reference to testing capabilities...by no means individual driver performance!)

Alonso: Fantastic driver, great at finding major and some small faults in the car whilst on race weekends...however In my humble opinion looks for medium to large performance gaps.

Pedro: A walking, talking and driving analyzing computer sensor, he can and probably does pick up small vibrational issues in not only suspension links, tyres, cockpit vibrations, etc...to me he seems more sensitive to his environment as he has been used to purely testing and analyzing data for Formula 1 teams most of his life.
Sounds plausible. Pedro being arguably the best test driver today will analyse the data collected by Massa on the first two days of testing. Alonso will take it from there for 3 days in Barcelona, assuming Pedro and Ferrari have made the right improvements and analyse the changes from a more advanced stage. By the end of the 2nd test, Alonso and Massa get equal time in the car, with Pedro also having played a crucial role.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Lurk

timbo wrote:
Lurk wrote:Alonso ended last season in a very bad shape
Strange to call 5 podium finishes in a row "a very bad shape". Being beaten by Massa two times in qualy might speak of some tiredness, but it might be just unhappy incidents.
I was only talking about his physical shape, not his results. He was quite exhausted at the end of each race the last 2 months of the season, way more than any other driver.

timbo

Lurk wrote:I was only talking about his physical shape, not his results. He was quite exhausted at the end of each race the last 2 months of the season, way more than any other driver.
Ah.. Yeah, but he had same thing happening some previous seasons as well.
And the rumors are that he spent quite a lot of time with his new girlfriend, so it's probably understandable :D

Anyway, I guess if they iron out most of the gremlins before he jumps in, it may work to his advantage.