A new way to drive an F1 car? "3D driving"

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: A new way to drive an F1 car? "3D driving"

I'd rather see AWD on F1 cars with left and right triggers on the steering wheel that vector a percentage of rear wheel power to the opposing front wheel.

So, in a tight left hand corner, pulling the right trigger would increase the front right wheel speed while reducing the left rear speed. It would just allow mid corner adjustments that might allow better overtaking opportunities.

gambler

Good Idea Platnum...I think it would be easier to let the ecm shift the trans via a smart learn program and use shifter paddles to make chassis changes if nothing other than changing the sway bar or whatever other torsional devices that the car has. I imagine F1 would ban it quickly.

PlatinumZealot

Well my idea is not aimed at building a faster car.. But to put the driver integral to what the car is doing. Allowing him to "feel" the car and react to it by controlling the suspension.
It is just a first step.

The vision is to have neural connection from the driver to relevant systems in the car. The human brain is largely underutilized. The driver's brains are plenty capable of controlling extra parts if the car even the aerodynamics. I think thats is truly exciting.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

gambler

It would be nice to hava a few more "on the fly' adjustments to help with the 18 inch wheel change. The base line is the same, where pitting and new tires is scientific, I'm not sure even a gret driver would pinpoint the change quite as well as flipping back and forth within a lap. What would be changes that could be done that way?

netoperek

I'd like to see an analog DRS/wing stalling control. Give a car a fat rear wing, offering plenty DF but also a lot of drag and then give the driver a chance to reduce it. The fastest way through would be to get it just right throughout entire lap, corner after corner. Right now aero setup is being optimised as a static setting for a whole lap and is thus a compromise, not a set of optimal solutions for each part of the track and variety of variables.
Yes, I know, picturing of such a system as a live adjustable rear wing angle, is a bit over simplified approach, but if that sort of system would have to be implemented (i.e. set in rule book) I'm pretty sure whole aero would be designed to give as much a predictable output to the driver input as possible. Drivers would learn how to use it pretty fast I guess, but getting it just right would be some indication of great skill.

PlatinumZealot

In 2010 there was driver adjusted front wings. The McLaren in particular had a very nifty one.

PlatinumZealot

Mercedes took Inspiration from my Idea about an additional Axis of steering!!

=D> =D> =D>

Mercedes Call it "DAS" Dual Axis steering.

My original Concept

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14411

Mercedes Immitation