Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Re: Ferrari F138

Nando wrote:Image

Further away and higher up, interesting. No idea what difference that will make though.

My suggestion: McLarens approach is aggressive. They try to create streams of high energy by creating strong shears. Therefore they use small volumes (undercut underneath the exhaust) which means higher flowrates. Ferrari is conservative, they create a smoother effect by using higher volumes and bigger working areas ( at the edges of the floor next to the reartyres) of the streams. So to me this means that McLaren creates a stronger sealing effect, paying with setup range (frontwing setup effects stream over the sidepots, the reason for flow conditioners invented by sauber), Ferrari wants a solid baseline as their car showed weaknesses in this area last season. What is your opinion?

stefan_
stefan_

Although it seems quite inaccurate to me,

F138 vs F2012
http://www.thef1times.com/compare/ferrari.php
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gridlock

That slider is pretty convincing on the "that's an F2012 tub" hypothesis..

ecapox

The genius in me says that's an F2012 chasis. The normal me says that would be dumb to outfit that car with new things for a show and tell.

Who knows.

Blackout

Big différences between the monocoques:
http://f1.f-e-n.net/images/f1/2013/2013 ... 38_top.jpg

Lurk

F138

F2012 @ Interlagos
source: f1fanatic.com

right click for full view

Well, I must admit I was not convinced but... appart RW and gearbox/rear suspension, it seems to be a perfect a clone. :wtf:

Blackout

A rough comparison

F2012 monocoque with sidepods removed (not completely removed hence a part of the sidepods around the crash structure belongs to the monocque):
http://www10.pic-upload.de/02.02.13/7bvazug1y8dh.jpg
While the F138 seems to have a different design (with perhaps completely removable sidepods like other cars...) : P

jonaliew
jonaliew

Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst

"There are some very positive aspects of the new Ferrari - and some that I'm not quite as excited about.

"The rear-end treatment, from the back of the engine, looks like a positive step forward.

"I was very critical of their car in that area last year - it was messy, with radiator outlets disrupting the airflow.

"It's much cleaner this year, with a much more aggressive treatment of the 'coke-bottle' area where the bodywork sweeps in between the rear wheels, an area they neglected in 2012. And it looks as if they have a very small gearbox, because the bodywork at the back is very low.

"That's all good for keeping the airflow as effective as possible in a crucial area and it looks like a big step forward.

"Forward of that, I'm less sure. The coke-bottle starts early, which is a very aggressive pursuit of downforce, but can lead to problems. I might have stayed clear of that and I think Ferrari might be the only team doing that.

"I looked at the new McLaren and saw a lot of positive points. The list of obvious gains is smaller on the Ferrari but we'll have to see how it goes on the track."

clipsy1H

stefan_ wrote:Although it seems quite inaccurate to me,

F138 vs F2012
not to much differences ... most visible is nose... a panel over for 2013 car :mrgreen:

CHT
CHT

clipsy1H wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Although it seems quite inaccurate to me,

F138 vs F2012
not to much differences ... most visible is nose... a panel over for 2013 car :mrgreen:
the rear end is looking more like willams now. Guess they must have shrunk the gearbox.

f1316
f1316

I keep reading that McLaren have done more than Ferrari, have gone further etc. - I'm not sure I see it.

The McLaren sidepods look like they start slightly further back (although both seem to have done work in this area) and is slightly neater and lower at the back, but the Ferrari has a very neat and small-looking gearbox and rear-end, which I think is a very important step.

So it seems to me like they're overall similar designs overall with pros and cons of both. But - and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I don't see this 'McLaren' have gone a lot further conclusion.

edit: and of course there's a lot more to come from both teams; we'll see two very different cars in Melbourne

amouzouris

f1316 wrote:I keep reading that McLaren have done more than Ferrari, have gone further etc. - I'm not sure I see it.

The McLaren sidepods look like they start slightly further back (although both seem to have done work in this area) and is slightly neater and lower at the back, but the Ferrari has a very neat and small-looking gearbox and rear-end, which I think is a very important step.

So it seems to me like they're overall similar designs overall with pros and cons of both. But - and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I don't see this 'McLaren' have gone a lot further conclusion.

edit: and of course there's a lot more to come from both teams; we'll see two very different cars in Melbourne
Ferrari's sidepods start further back to as a result of last year's work...if you notice the side impact structures are angled forwards...there were reports last year that Ferrari failed their first side impact crash tests until they got it right

michl420
michl420

The pull road of the rear supension stretches extem forward.

timbo
timbo

Will they do a Fiorano shakedown, or go directly to Jerez?

Matt89
Matt89

timbo wrote:Will they do a Fiorano shakedown, or go directly to Jerez?
Well, no news about it in the italian media, so probably we'll have to wait until tuesday to see some on track action.
"Mi chiedete quale è la differenza tra la F1 eroica e quella attuale. Beh, è come se prima si camminasse in equilibrio su un filo sospeso a strapiombo sul Grand Canyon. Ora quel filo è ben teso in camera da letto, a un palmo dal materasso: l'abilità richiesta per camminarci sopra è la stessa, ma la sfida è cambiata per sempre".

- Stirling Moss -

"Se gommo tiene, io vince gara! Se gommo non tiene, io come bomba dentro montagna."

- Markku Alen -