Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Ferrari F138

korzeniow wrote:What is this bulge?

http://i.imgur.com/ckXan0n.jpg

Something to do with their implementation of DRD maby?
I don't know. That bulge appeared during the Fiorano test days. I Asked about it but no one responded. Ferrari Kept it for the remaining races. Perhaps it hosts a differnt cooling channel (for the G-box) than the one they used at the start....
Last edited by Blackout on 01 Feb 2013, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

JayeOFarrell

I'm sorry if this has been asked all ready, but in the press release this was written.

"As for the electronics, it is worth noting the introduction, ahead of schedule, of the single control unit that will be used in 2014. This has involved a lot of work to integrate and control all its features in terms of both software and hardware."

What are they on about 'single control unit?' I haven't heard anything about this or what it might be, are they referring to a new stand alone ECU instead of the numerous ECU's that control different things around the car at present?

Thank you :)
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

spadeflush

JayeOFarrell wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked all ready, but in the press release this was written.

"As for the electronics, it is worth noting the introduction, ahead of schedule, of the single control unit that will be used in 2014. This has involved a lot of work to integrate and control all its features in terms of both software and hardware."

What are they on about 'single control unit?' I haven't heard anything about this or what it might be, are they referring to a new stand alone ECU instead of the numerous ECU's that control different things around the car at present?

Thank you :)
From Scarbsf1's blog:
Having run the McLaren Electronics Systems TAG-310B ECU since 2006, teams will have an upgraded ECU to run in 2013. The TAG-320 is the same physical size, but has far greater performance and more interfaces. Although useful, for 2013 this has no real impact on the teams, as the ECU is aimed at supporting the complex powertrains to be introduced in 2014.

Hope this answers your question :)
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Shrieker

Any chance of anyone sneaking in a bit of TC or extra engine maps with this new ECU ?

I don't like the nosejob on this car. Though it's hardly a technical contribution is it lol.
Last edited by Shrieker on 01 Feb 2013, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PistoneRovente

AMG.Tzan wrote:It seems like Ferrari is competing for the ugliest car and livery in history of Grand Prix Racing!! =D> ...i can't understand who is the one that designs such liveries!...On the technical side though they seem to have worked really hard on front and rear wings! :wink: But I don't think that it is going to be championship contender...something like 2011! :|
I don't agree. I find the addition of red on the wings quite nice. It's that white line that runs from the FW to the exhausts that isn't hitting the spot. Or rather the lack of another line, green in colour, underneath that one. :D

JayeOFarrell

@spadeflush

Thank you very much :)
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

PistoneRovente

Dream Theater

I've spotted few interesting things in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRQX7kFs0M at 0:12.

Ferrari seems to have similar strakes on the diffuser as the RB had in 2012. Here the image I've taken from the video, that shows the strakes:

Seems also that they now have a revised beam wing with curved edges.
Interesting RW vanes view indeed!
Last edited by Dream Theater on 01 Feb 2013, 15:11, edited 5 times in total.

Italiano

PistoneRovente wrote:broken image
Rehosted that for you.

It would indeed make it nicer. But I do like it as it is. Nice little twist.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Lurk

Blackout wrote:Image
Different scale/lense/viewpoint, tyres seem aligned but F138's antiroll structures & front bulkhead are higher.

PistoneRovente

@SchumacherM

Thank you

f1316

I think it's interesting that Ferrari and McLaren - using the same wind tunnel - are pursuing quite similar avenues.

They've both undercut their sidepods, done a lot of work cleaning up the back of the car, incorporated "Red Bull style" rear suspension packaging, both running pull-rod at the front too, and both, for now, sticking with the exhaust concept from last year.

It may be that both test some other alternatives in the exhaust, but also that they think the cleaner airflow they've got with their current solutions outweighs the small gains in exhaust flow from cluttering up the area with ramps.

But I also like what Ferrari have done with the gearbox and rear wing, both of which could be significant. Sam Michael's original explanation about why Williams went down their gearbox path was very ineresting, and coupled with the other facets of the Ferrari, is a good direction for them, I think.

Blackout

Lurk wrote:
Blackout wrote:Image
Different scale/lense/viewpoint, tyres seem aligned but F138's antiroll structures & front bulkhead are higher.
Obviously. It's just a rough comparison between the two noses

Forza