Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
ell66
ell66
2
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Expected a bigger difference to last years car, unless it changes radically I dont see it being as quick as the 28.

sknguy
sknguy
3
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:02 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Those rear wing endplates have quite the array of louvers and slots. Be interesting to see how those'll change.

User avatar
Rhodium
25
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

there is no sense between this photo

Image

and this one, isn't it?

Image



if the first is to show that the nose is higher, so why is not he on the other picture?

in reality, the cockpit appears to lower the nose and slightly above, but this is due to the cache.

reality, I think they are essentially the same.
it would be even more true if the comparative picture (taken from the front) can compare the latest version of the F2012 (GP of brazil for example) with the F138.

I would be willing to bet that would be almost the same.

same for those who think that the pontoons (?)( it's the right word ?) are lower ... they are compared to the version of the F2012 presentation. but not in the version "end of season" of the F2012.
Last edited by Rhodium on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FW17
155
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Is it me or does the car look candy apple - pink?
Image
Last edited by FW17 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
amouzouris
105
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

a lot of changes on the car! quite a revealing car launch, fairly new rear and front wings. the gearbox has been stretched out... completely new rear suspension covering the drive shaft ( because of the magnus effect the drive shaft creates some downforce but it is covered by the lower rear wishbone thus not creating any downforce, because of the exhaust blowing on it creates an issue as the exhaust is constantly blowing on it) very very interesting rear end. with strakes on top of the diffuser like the ones redbull used last year, and very interesting rear brake ducts.
Coming to the nose...the yellow highlighted region is the area the nosecone is not allowed to be in... gives you an idea of where the modesty panel is.

Image

Edit: In addition, the black bodywork around the exhaust is most certainly changing, both ferrari end macca are not showing us what they have yet

radosav
radosav
23
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is it me or does the car look candy apple - pink?
Image
is it me or that car looks to have very tight rear end (if you remove that shark fin)?

User avatar
Blackout
1310
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Again, those are rough comparisons. We are comparing the shapes not the dimentions. Angles and sizes are not meant to be identical. but they are close enough
Mind the length of the new nose. It's longer than the other. That's why it does'nt look as high as in the first photo. (add to that the inaccuracy of the angles and dimensions...) : P
Last edited by Blackout on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens
34
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:02 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Ferrari have also removed the front brake duct.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

User avatar
amouzouris
105
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

DaveKillens wrote:Ferrari have also removed the front brake duct.
not removed...the brake duct inlets are between the tire and the big vertical fin of the brake duct

User avatar
Redragon
18
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Rhodium wrote:there is no sense between this photo ... and this one ... isn't it?
From a point of view of a photographer, doesn't make any sense to do those comparations as they are not accurate.
First you don't know the focal lenses, distance and high where the camera was positioned.

If I look at your profile picture comparation. The F2012 was taken more from a central point of view where as the F138 a bit more from a right side, less frontal, with camera looking slightly to the left. If for example the lenses used was a 24mm a really wide angle lenses the distorsion created from the F138 is substantial, so it makes it longer and higher.

Same with the frontal view, the F2012 was taken with the camera in a bit higher position that the F138, just slightly, you can appreciate on perspective. So the F138 looks higher but that could be just an illusion created again by the distortion of a wide angle lens.
Last edited by Richard on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

aral
aral
26
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

ell66 wrote:Expected a bigger difference to last years car, unless it changes radically I dont see it being as quick as the 28.
How did you come up with that assumption? You cannot tell a cars speed or grip, simply on looks alone.

User avatar
Rhodium
25
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Redragon wrote:
From a point of view of a photographer, doesn't make any sense to do those comparations as they are not accurate.
First you don't know the focal lenses, distance and high where the camera was positioned.

If I look at your profile picture comparation. The F2012 was taken more from a central point of view where as the F138 a bit more from a right side, less frontal, with camera looking slightly to the left. If for example the lenses used was a 24mm a really wide angle lenses the distorsion created from the F138 is substantial, so it makes it longer and higher.

Same with the frontal view, the F2012 was taken with the camera in a bit higher position that the F138, just slightly, you can appreciate on perspective. So the F138 looks higher but that could be just an illusion created again by the distortion of a wide angle lens.

in fact, this is exactly what I'm trying to say awkwardly :wink:

ziggy
ziggy
11
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

I think it's still all about downforce. We've seen it on the new Mclaren and today on the Ferrari. They're all trying to get as much air as possible to the back.

They can add downforce on the front quite easy by changing the front wing, adding downforce on the back of the car is another story. Thats why they use pull-rod suspension, a barely legal high nose and modified side pods. Just to increase the airflow to the back of the car. I think the black end of the car will be totally different at the first GP. The one on the pictures seems to simple.

User avatar
Redragon
18
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Rhodium wrote:
Redragon wrote:
From a point of view of a photographer, doesn't make any sense to do those comparations as they are not accurate.
First you don't know the focal lenses, distance and high where the camera was positioned.

If I look at your profile picture comparation. The F2012 was taken more from a central point of view where as the F138 a bit more from a right side, less frontal, with camera looking slightly to the left. If for example the lenses used was a 24mm a really wide angle lenses the distorsion created from the F138 is substantial, so it makes it longer and higher.

Same with the frontal view, the F2012 was taken with the camera in a bit higher position that the F138, just slightly, you can appreciate on perspective. So the F138 looks higher but that could be just an illusion created again by the distortion of a wide angle lens.
in fact, this is exactly what I'm trying to say awkwardly :wink:
If I wasn't busy editing and reading your great posts and discussion I would make a couple of pictures of same object, same focal lens but moving the camera slightly down or right. You will see that with a wide angle lens the distortion is big

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini
11
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Rhodium wrote:there is no sense between this photo .... and this one .... isn't it?

the sidepost and the exhaust are the same as last year. I even think the chassis is the last year chassis and just the front end and the rear wing is new.

I expect them to change radically at the first test.


F2012 :
Image


F138 :
Image
Last edited by Richard on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post