Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Ferrari F138

Alonso:
With every change we made, the car reacted as I expected
That's the most encouraging thing I've heard about the car so far. Seems as if their track data may hopefully be correlating with what they were expecting.

Interesting that Ferrari are quick in the speed traps, which indicates that the good parts of last year's car - high speed cornering and (post-Spain) straightline speed - have carried over.

Update for the next test to apparently include new exhaust layout which - if successful - may hopefully give them better traction out of slow corners.

All about that data correlation though; let's hope it continues to go smoothly...

SiLo

I assumed the hole under the nose was for some cooling that now cannot be done at the rear of the car because there is so little space there. Maybe I'm wrong though?
Felipe Baby!

jaba.hut

Hail22 wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/11971is.jpg

Look at the opening then look at the floor, is it me or is that thermal exposure on the floor? (slightly discoloured/burned/warmed in).
I rather think that it was some dirt wiped with some cloth and you have some smudged area all over floor not only in squared area.

Forza

It's caused by exhaust plume. It's the same case with Mclaren's (image) & Sauber's (image) Semi-Coanda.

miguelalvesreis

Forza wrote:It's caused by exhaust plume. It's the same case with Mclaren's (image) & Sauber's (image) Semi-Coanda.
Nothing to do with the burned parts due to the exausts cracking. They've tested till it cracked, right?

jaba.hut

On the subject of exhaust, do you think that RB8 style exhaust and whole ramp idea would possible with current F138 cooling layout and cooling exits on the back of car?

hairy_scotsman

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Spankyham

Hail22 wrote:http://i48.tinypic.com/11971is.jpg

Look at the opening then look at the floor, is it me or is that thermal exposure on the floor? (slightly discoloured/burned/warmed in).
I'd like to know how many laps those front tires have done
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

miguelalvesreis

Wow! That is new! Any ideas anyone? Coming from the shark mouth?

Owen.C93

miguelalvesreis wrote:
What? No. It's just extra cooling.

This thread sometimes...
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

seinfeld

if you look at the ferrari front wing front on. it looks like the least designed part in the pitlane. overhead view is a different story.

Redragon

Owen.C93 wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:

This thread sometimes...
Come on it is also fun

miguelalvesreis

Owen.C93 wrote:

This thread sometimes...
Come on it is also fun[/quote]

Thaaank youuuu! B-)

hairy_scotsman

OK, this notion may have already been utterly obvious to everyone else here...but maybe, prior to opening up the cooling air exit, Ferrari were trying to pressurize and accelerate the exiting cooling air onto the diffuser by having a small exit. However, it just caused too much heat buildup because the heated air wasn't moving quickly enough from under the body panels.

Am I far off on this? Or is it something everyone does anyway.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

wesley123

no one ejects cooling air into their diffusers, they mostly enter them in empty space, like below the beam wing or in the central 15 cm in between the beam wing and rear wing
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender