Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

the sidepost and the exhaust are the same as last year. I even think the chassis is the last year chassis and just the front end and the rear wing is new.
I was thinking that too. It has some very subtle differences, but those just as well could be explained by the canada incarnation.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
Rhodium
25
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

you're right.
maybe is the same for all top team.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini
11
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Yes, all top team will do the same.I don't think they want to show early what they had in their hands.

User avatar
clipsy1H
-16
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

HAHA ! i knew it !! no stepped nose ! Stefano said few months ago :D

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

The McLaren definitely has a different chassis: higher at the front and cleaner at the back.

I do hope Ferrari isn't going to continue with those bulky sidepods; last year it was proven that diagonal radiators were the way to go. If they stubbornly keep hanging on their vertical ones, they might be forced to redesign it mid-season.

I too am glad they went for the panel. I was struck with fear when Lotus came with the stepped nose, but in the meanwhile we had 3 cars that used the panel, and that to a degree you don't notice it is there. Just a clean looking nose. Knowing Newey, who is known to give great importance to aesthetically looks, he will do the same.
#AeroFrodo

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini
11
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Apparently, Pat Fry said : 'The launch car we have aerodynamically is a long way off where we are in the windtunnel'

Some interview, Fry and Tombazis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CHvwVd_to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8hW-J39rtA
"I would say the biggest changes relate to the front suspension, which has an improved layout, while at the rear, the suspension is completely new. We also have a revised sidepod design, aimed at improving the aerodynamics in this area, as well as a completely new layout for the exhaust system.

“The car we will race in Melbourne will be quite different to the one seen at the launch and the first test,” continues Resta. “In the past few weeks we have improved and indeed in those ahead of us now, we can improve further, the performance of the car, which guarantees that the F138 in Melbourne will be significantly different to the F138 at Test 1…and hopefully quicker. I am reasonably happy with the car so far as there was a significant performance gap to be closed, something which we cannot deny, but I think we have done a good job in all areas, trying to cover all the weak points of its predecessor.”

imightbewrong
imightbewrong
17
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

turbof1 wrote:I do hope Ferrari isn't going to continue with those bulky sidepods; last year it was proven that diagonal radiators were the way to go. If they stubbornly keep hanging on their vertical ones, they might be forced to redesign it mid-season.
How was that proven exactly?

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

Because the diagonal radiators allowed for a far better undercut, allowing more air to be guided towards the diffuser. The common consensus last year was that Ferrari's sidepods just were too bulky. Of course they will have their reasons to keep the vertical ones, but aerodynamically it isn't a good solution.
#AeroFrodo

User avatar
amouzouris
105
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

turbof1 wrote:Because the diagonal radiators allowed for a far better undercut, allowing more air to be guided towards the diffuser. The common consensus last year was that Ferrari's sidepods just were too bulky. Of course they will have their reasons to keep the vertical ones, but aerodynamically it isn't a good solution.
The reason they are using the vertical rads is because it allows for much more space at the back...the sidepods are only bulky at the front...if you compare the ferrari to the other cars you will see that the ferrari has more space at the back..between the sidepods and the diffuser

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

amouzouris wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Because the diagonal radiators allowed for a far better undercut, allowing more air to be guided towards the diffuser. The common consensus last year was that Ferrari's sidepods just were too bulky. Of course they will have their reasons to keep the vertical ones, but aerodynamically it isn't a good solution.
The reason they are using the vertical rads is because it allows for much more space at the back...the sidepods are only bulky at the front...if you compare the ferrari to the other cars you will see that the ferrari has more space at the back..between the sidepods and the diffuser
Yes, but it is a critical area to get airflow to the back. What good is a slim back if you have a wall in front of it (I know I am excagerating)?
#AeroFrodo

imightbewrong
imightbewrong
17
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

turbof1 wrote:Because the diagonal radiators allowed for a far better undercut, allowing more air to be guided towards the diffuser. The common consensus last year was that Ferrari's sidepods just were too bulky. Of course they will have their reasons to keep the vertical ones, but aerodynamically it isn't a good solution.
Ferrari kept the vertical rads, so I'm guessing they feel that the vertical rads are a better compromise in their design. They also had the pull-rod front and almost everybody and their mothers said that it was a huuuuge mistake. Seems McLaren didn't think so though.. The "consensus" among the laymen is not all that relevant at times..

User avatar
amouzouris
105
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

turbof1 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Because the diagonal radiators allowed for a far better undercut, allowing more air to be guided towards the diffuser. The common consensus last year was that Ferrari's sidepods just were too bulky. Of course they will have their reasons to keep the vertical ones, but aerodynamically it isn't a good solution.
The reason they are using the vertical rads is because it allows for much more space at the back...the sidepods are only bulky at the front...if you compare the ferrari to the other cars you will see that the ferrari has more space at the back..between the sidepods and the diffuser
Yes, but it is a critical area to get airflow to the back. What good is a slim back if you have a wall in front of it (I know I am excagerating)?
U r not exaggerating that much! they are in the way of the airflow! what you are saying i think was a problem at the beginning of 2012 but it seems that they have managed to solve it..i don't think they would persist with he same rad layout if they didnt find an advantage to them.
But as they said there are going to be changes on the sidepods so they might slim it down

wesley123
wesley123
198
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

amouzouris wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:Ferrari have also removed the front brake duct.
not removed...the brake duct inlets are between the tire and the big vertical fin of the brake duct
They already went 'scoopless' in mid-2012
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

User avatar
amouzouris
105
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

wesley123 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:Ferrari have also removed the front brake duct.
not removed...the brake duct inlets are between the tire and the big vertical fin of the brake duct
They already went 'scoopless' in mid-2012
exactly!

gold333
gold333
7
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:59 am

Re: Ferrari F138

Post

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is it me or does the car look candy apple - pink?
Image
Judging from this photo the color is Standox Monza red it is a two tone paint which alternates between Rosso Corsa and pink used in F1 Ferrari's such as the 641 / 642 and the F355.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).