Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
allstaruk08

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

if that were the case couldn't they extend the bulge further away from the sidepods

Crucial_Xtreme

allstaruk08 wrote:if that were the case couldn't they extend the bulge further away from the sidepods
Of course I'm just guessing right along with Pierce but I don't think simply extending the bulge would help, if anything it would be awkward. If you look at the Sauber and it's sidepods, there simply doesn't seem to be enough surface area to really get the downwash going for the exhaust. Sure they have the flow conditioner above sidepod inlet, but in comparison to other teams that use this type exhaust, their implementation is radically different to other teams and the way they're crossing over the flows(as Pierce said) might(?) possibly be some of the cause of their problems. Obviously I don't know as I'm not in their wind tunnel & have zero access to their data. I'm just guessing which isn't proper on a technical forum, but I think their sidepod design must be looked at now considering the drop in pace from last year to now.

versus

allstaruk08

ah good point man, their exhaust bulge does look like its just stuck on to the sidepods compared to others maybe if they intergrated it into the sidepod more and increased the surface area just right at the top of the sidepods (and keeping the super tight sidepods at the bottom) to bring more air over the sidepods the downwash effect might work better. likewise im just guessing.

hollus

The downwash for the exhaust is kind of enough, though. This is from February testing:
Edit: pointing at the rubber stuck to the floor, which must have been hot.
Last edited by hollus on 21 Apr 2013, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.
Rivals, not enemies.

stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Sunday (21.04.2013)

via Matt Somerfield
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Sauber to pin hopes on a rear wing upgrade

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107161

Are they going to revert to a more "mainstream" rear wing without the spoon shape in the middle?
#AeroFrodo

Artur Craft

I thought they would use their more maintream wing already in Sepang after testing it on FPs

They are the only team that consistently are using the spoon shape on RW, who is missing a trick here, all other teams or Sauber?

It's not hard to bet on the later

turbof1

korzeniow wrote:This season's Sauber struggles are down to Monisha Kaltenborn lack of expirience.

Why would they go for such a revolutionary car when next year the rules change anyway? That's stupid.

Moreover, they will be on the back foot with the 2014 campaign because they will put a lot of effort into this season's car trying to figure out what's wrong with it...
Except that the car acts like a stepping stone between next year and last year. Lower nose, advancements in radiator tech, less dependency on the coanda exhausts... . What differs this car from the rest of the field this year, they can take over partially next year.
#AeroFrodo

Huntresa

korzeniow wrote:This season's Sauber struggles are down to Monisha Kaltenborn lack of expirience.

Why would they go for such a revolutionary car when next year the rules change anyway? That's stupid.

Moreover, they will be on the back foot with the 2014 campaign because they will put a lot of effort into this season's car trying to figure out what's wrong with it...
Cause they can carry over alot from this car to next year and if they dont find enough speed soon they will push for 2014 HARD, and with exhaust being removed as a perforamnce enhancer who cares bout coanda next year.

beelsebob

Huntresa wrote:

Cause they can carry over alot from this car to next year
I didn't realise they were carrying an alot around with them. Surely they could dump that and go significantly quicker?

turbof1

offtopic:
:wtf: Didn't knew that one either. Remember, a lot (must be the first time I use this correctly) of us don't speak english as a mother tongue. We pick that up somewhere and we keep making that mistake.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_

Spain 2013 - Thursday (09.05.2013)

New positioning for the camera housings.

via Tobias Grüner

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

The camera mounts on the nose is new. More Red Bull'ish ....

stefan_

Spain 2013 - Thursday (09.05.2013)

patrik

Nobody's talking about that FW? It's nothing like I've ever seen! So many new shapes and concepts!