Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

new Infinity livery on the sidepod should make life easier for commentators

Holm86

Where can you follow the launch?? I cant find it on their webpage.

diego1960

I don't know, sidepods appear slightly larger than the ones on RB8, although I might be mistaken.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stfn_ger

diego1960 wrote:I don't know, sidepods appear slightly larger than the ones on RB8, although I might be mistaken.
I think you are, just compare:

also, if I'm not mistaken either, the barge boards should be at the same position, which would be the max. allowed bodywork width.

Holm86

Looks excatly the same as last year. But that was expected. Only difference is at bit smaller sidepod intakes and new step on the nose.

i70q7m7ghw

Not sure about the purple...

Anyway, interesting take on the modesty panel. Much like Sauber, they've chosen to stick with the step, and just improve the airflow around the transition. Sauber have chosen to "fence" the side of their nose, so the airflow doesn't spill over. Red Bull have chosen to do the opposite. My guess would be neither team wanted the additional weight of a full modesty panel, which would be very high and very far forward. That or this is actually more efficient than a flat nose... I would find that hard to believe.

CHT
CHT

diego1960

stfn_ger,

the angle doesn't help though so I'm still not sure. I can't see anything special on this car compared to the previous one. Although we must always have in mind that Newey might have some aces up his sleeve that he won't reveal until the last test.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Blackout

Sidepod comparison. Couldnt find a better angle

turbof1

Worst launch ever.
#AeroFrodo

CHT
CHT

notice there are couple of vertical blade above the side pod just above the air duct.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2006/rb91.jpg
Last edited by CHT on 03 Feb 2013, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Interesting that they've added a monkey seat. Last year we were told by certain people that a monkey seat means the team are struggling with downforce. I wonder if those same people will claim the same now...

I like the look of the car. The purple colour scheme looks good in the pictures. Hopefully it will help the commentators pick out the RB from the STR this year (some struggled last year at times).

The sidepods have been reworked and there is a lot of floor plate in front of the sidepods. Presumably this helps scavenge the front wing as well as helping to flow air to the rear.

Interesting that RBR have decided to run a hybrid-step nose rather than a full aeropanel like McLaren and Ferrari. Perhaps the rear benefits from the flow coming off this area?

It's going to be interesting to see how this car is developed compared to the McLaren and Ferrari as it uses the ramp exhaust compared to the pod exhaust. I get the feeling that the RedBull might be running out of development potential with this series of car (RB6-9) compared to others - albeit because they started ahead and the others have been catching up a lot of the time. Will be interesting to watch.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Craig Scarborough ‏@ScarbsF1
@redbullf1spy 'Launch' over, car covered up, sunday afternoon wasted to see a nose cone from a distance in a dark warehouse

Either they're really hiding something, which is unlikely, or they're afraid competition might realize they simply dont have an answer for 2013.