Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

lio007 wrote:according to AMuS RB used a new FW after disappointing FP1+2
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 75646.html
Yes. Buemi , using the simulator, found an improvement and flew out on Friday with two new wings. Quick work at Milton Keynes.

henra

SectorOne wrote: The RB had nothing to set against the Merc on low fuel or in the race except for the first couple of laps.
Everytime Vettel did something they responded.
Hmmm, I think it is more related to RB's difficulties in understanding and prediction of the tyre Performance.
In the second last lap SV set an impressive fastest lap. It was more than 4s faster than the pace he was cruising along for the entire race and significnatly faster than anyone else's fastest lap.
I guess they simply didn't really know what lap time they could have gone without risking the tyres and they didn't want to find out the hard way. There was nothing to win anyway. You can't overtake in Monaco.

kebab

:D

gandharva

gilgen wrote:
lio007 wrote:according to AMuS RB used a new FW after disappointing FP1+2
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 75646.html
Yes. Buemi , using the simulator, found an improvement and flew out on Friday with two new wings. Quick work at Milton Keynes.
Sadly I couldn't find any good picture(s) of the new frontwing. It seems the new wing creates completely different airflow on it's lower surface. AMUS also states that Red Bulls real problem is the more flexible front tire in 2013.

aral

gandharva wrote: AMUS also states that Red Bulls real problem is the more flexible front tire in 2013.
Good photo. Proves that Red Bull gives you wings! :lol: :lol:

But re the AMUS quote, that is peculiar, as the 2013 tyres actually have STIFFER sidewalls. I see that for the race in Montreal, the new tyre will NOT be used.

ziggy

Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to produce a complete FW in 24 hours or less? I mean its not only the carbon, there's also a paintjob, some wiring (testing?) and the stickers?

FP2 finished at 15.30, I've read that Buemi did 400 laps in the simulator. This alone takes 8 hours and a half. Without a break...

gandharva

I think this wing was not only made for Monaco. So maybe they started to redesign the frontwing way earlier.

aral

ziggy wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to produce a complete FW in 24 hours or less? I mean its not only the carbon, there's also a paintjob, some wiring (testing?) and the stickers?

FP2 finished at 15.30, I've read that Buemi did 400 laps in the simulator. This alone takes 8 hours and a half. Without a break...
FP2 was on Thursday, FP3 was on Saturday, so they had 42 hours. And the change may well have been to an endplate, or cascade, or mainplane

Tim.Wright

ziggy wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to produce a complete FW in 24 hours or less? I mean its not only the carbon, there's also a paintjob, some wiring (testing?) and the stickers?

Not a chance. Whats probable is that some small details were made and attached to an already existing wing and nosebox.
Not the engineer at Force India

gandharva

gilgen wrote:FP2 was on Thursday, FP3 was on Saturday, so they had 42 hours. And the change may well have been to an endplate, or cascade, or mainplane
Buemi posted that pic on friday @twitter.

ziggy

Right. And you can still see daylight trough the windows in the back.

aral

gandharva wrote:
gilgen wrote:FP2 was on Thursday, FP3 was on Saturday, so they had 42 hours. And the change may well have been to an endplate, or cascade, or mainplane
Buemi posted that pic on friday @twitter.
Not being a follower of twitter, I didn't know that. But they still had 30 hours or so. And as I said, it was probably something like an endplate or cascade. These can be 3D printed fairly rapidly.

Richard

Pirelli posts that were waaaayyyy off topic are gone .....

By the way lets be grown up enough to allow people to have different opinions without having to call them liars. #-o

gandharva

@richard_leeds
Where is my post about RBR rake concept related to frontwing height and tire deformation? This was only about the car. So why got it moved or deleted?

SiLo

gandharva wrote:@richard_leeds
Where is my post about RBR rake concept related to frontwing height and tire deformation? This was only about the car. So why got it moved or deleted?
Seconded. It was a very good question IMO and I would like to see what others have to say about the theory.
Felipe Baby!