Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gerhardsa

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

GrizzleBoy wrote:The clearance from the coanda exhaust to the floor looks huge in that picture.
I saw that as well...
So much for keeping the flow attached to the body work.
Why do you chaps think they might have gone for something like this?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Gerhardsa wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:The clearance from the coanda exhaust to the floor looks huge in that picture.
I saw that as well...
So much for keeping the flow attached to the body work.
Why do you chaps think they might have gone for something like this?
Either sandbagging, this is an early prototype with the real thing to come soon, or I don't know.

stefan_
stefan_

Nando wrote:
stefan_ wrote:That was not the point. The point was that continuing this "let's mock the W04" attitude is not constructive and it drags other people into making the same.
So no criticism of the Mercedes, i get it.

I´m sure this is a red bull killer.
OK, that's what you undestood from what I wrote. Better leave it this way because we're not getting anywhere.

via F1 Fanatic.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gibells
gibells

Very small gearbox, a la Williams. Except the top wishbone runs into a point within the bodywork.

Overall the back end looks really compact.

Cocles

stefan_ wrote:That was not the point. The point was that continuing this "let's mock the W04" attitude is not constructive and it drags other people into making the same.
Exactly. Constructive criticism is fantastic. Mocking is easy. If you think you know what you're talking about then let's hear some suggestions as to what you'd like to see them tweak throughout the season. Without the constructive nature, the criticism just reads as some wannabe F1 engineer shouting sour grapes at a the group of guys who took the dream job.

Too bad there isn't a forum rule that requires criticism to be constructive. That would help a lot.

JoeE
JoeE

not that I know much about F1 aero and such, but to me, it doesn't look fast fast but does seem to have a basic form for good development over the year, and that's key in today's modern F1.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Moving on from my initial impression taken from a blurry photo from F1Fanatic I have to revise my opinion and state that this car certainly seems to have an interesting diffuser. There seems to be all manner of tunnels/strakes/conditioners all over it. Hope they work!!
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

This pic makes it look like they've got one big f-off cannon exit covering basically all central bodywork at the back.

They really do seem to have a lot of bodywork in that area...the engine cover seems to almost want to reach out and touch the rear wing lol.

Is it just me?

Unc1e_M0nty

I think the Platipus like nose looks good, and the condar exhaust ducts look very Ferrari/Acer like.

I notice the car is already fitted with its turning vains and such, unlike most of the other car launches it looks like this is pretty much what we can expect to see from tomorrow onwards, it doesn't make sence to send dummy parts all the way to spain just to be taken off the next day.

gray41

GrizzleBoy wrote:This pic makes it look like they've got one big f-off cannon exit covering basically all central bodywork at the back.

They really do seem to have a lot of bodywork in that area...the engine cover seems to almost want to reach out and touch the rear wing lol.

Is it just me?
It certainly looks like they are trying to use the body work in a "blowing" kind of way.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

stefan_
stefan_

via F1NL

prince
prince

GrizzleBoy wrote:This pic makes it look like they've got one big f-off cannon exit covering basically all central bodywork at the back.

Is it just me?
+1 HERE.

f1316
f1316

Very interesting looking thing. A bit Ferrari-like with the small gearbox and higher, more withdrawn exhaust (although, of course, both may change).

As ever they seem to be trying to think a little bit out of the box, with cooling exits in interesting places and a different looking diffuser. Could be important.

Do we know the wheelbase? Does it look a little shorter to anyone else?

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

I've put together a quick analysis of the W04 if anyone is interested http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/ ... lysis.html
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images