2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
wuzak

Re: 2014 Design

ringo wrote:Question:

Will ferrari change to a nose similar to the other teams?
Suppose they feel their car is not where it needs to be at the moment (not to say the nose is the performance differentiator) but can we expect an upgrade similar to the other teams if ferrari doesn't find itself on the front row?
Which others?

Lotus?
Williams?
Toro Rosso?
RBR?
Caterham?

I suppose they could change to the Mercedes styel, which is very similar to theirs in any case.

idfx

Suppose they feel their car is not where it needs to be at the moment (not to say the nose is the performance differentiator) but can we expect an upgrade similar to the other teams if ferrari doesn't find itself on the front row?
vortex generators at the bottom.
Some changes in difussor and lateral.
Adjustments brakes.
Update the exhaust
----------

Lycoming

Changing the entire nosecone? unlikely given the amount of work and testing involved. in the unlikely event that they do, don't expect to see it anytime soon.

Rikhart

Raikkonen was the first driver to benefit from the new smaller front wings. With the old dimensions, it would be wing on tyre (and race end) instead of a tyre bop from kobayashi´s caterham =D>

n_anirudh

From Adamcooepr's twitter:

Submarnining:

Huntresa

n_anirudh wrote:From Adamcooepr's twitter:

Submarnining:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi5XNB3CUAALx3L.jpg:large
How close is that backwheel of Massa to Kobas head ?

WALL_ZACK

So the choices are cop a deformable nose cone in the side of the head last year or a gearbox and rear wheel full in the face this year. I know which I'd chose...

Wasn't this what everyone said would happen in a rear end crash? That looks so much more dangerous than any rear end shunt I've seen in recent years...

And I bet Koba has a giant skid mark on the side of his helmet after that hit. Lucky he didn't break his neck.

PhillipM

WALL_ZACK wrote: And I bet Koba has a giant skid mark on the side of his helmet after that hit.
I bet that's not the only place he's got a skid mark looking at that photo!

MadMatt

That is wonderful, thank you FIA, you've proved once more how efficient you are =D>

What an utter piece of joke.

Damn I miss that. 10 years ago exactly.

wuzak

Huntresa wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:From Adamcooepr's twitter:

Submarnining:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi5XNB3CUAALx3L.jpg:large
How close is that backwheel of Massa to Kobas head ?
Probably not as close as it looks in that picture.

xDama

I doubt the wheel came close to his head.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

gray41

Massas car only ever got as high up at the start of the tub.

No marks further back.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

wuzak

gray41 wrote:Massas car only ever got as high up at the start of the tub.

http://i.imgur.com/8hojmrR.jpg

No marks further back.
It looks better without the vanity panel!

Bazza

Wait, what part of Massa's car did the Caterham nose actually hit?

It's all good and well saying it could submarine or flick up if it makes contact, but there's a 90 degree window at the back of the rear tyres where the dominant direction of the rubber is 'up', so what's probably not going to make a difference is where in that window it hits anyway assuming there's nose-to-tyre or tyre-to-tyre contact.

I'm talking about the rear bodywork, between the tyres.

If the nose gets caught underneath the rear crash structure, presumably it's gonna submarine no matter what.

Surely it wouldn't be low enough to get under the diffuser in any way?

If the nose misses the rear crash structure, then what? Does it get caught in the suspension members and the resultant force is dictated by their geometry interacting with the nose shape? Does it plough through them until the front wheels touch the rear wheels and it gets launched (into the rear wing)?

Manoah2u

what i find 'positive' about this accident is the fact that the nose itself is still intact. in the past, the high noses would make contact and get damaged, even so to the point that they can almost snap off (even though obviously there is a significant force needed) - but in this case, it seems the actual nose rather then the vanity panel is able to withsand the 'impact' and weight of scooping up another car, and remain intact.

i think, if the car would be scooped up deep enough by the rear entry, the combination of front wheels hitting rear wheels,
and the 'lift' created would still keep the driver out of rear crash structure from impaling the helmet. nevertheless, it's still
a danger present. the high noses gave rear-contact the possibility of getting the car airborne over the back of the front car,
now the low nose gives the possibilty of 'submarining' under the front car.

even though it seems the rear of massa's car was far enough away from his head, the images show a danger more potent then the possibility of the crash structure contact with the driver: a rear wheel hitting the driver. in a worse-case scenario,
the rear wheel could maintain 'contact' with the entire nose and 'drive' into the helmet - if you'd look at it in the massa-koba contact,
this would mean in a worse case scenario that massa's car would be aimed slightly to the right, and having koba's left front wheel under the floor/plank of massa's car, and massa's right rear wheel essentially 'rolling up' on the entire front tub.
the size of the rear wheel would maintain contact on the tub and possibly hit the driver in the head.

is this scenario a possibilty? i'm afraid to say so - but maybe i'm missing some crucial car design structures that'll prevent this from happening.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"