2013 German GP - Nurburgring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
khaliweed
khaliweed

Re: 2013 German GP - Nurburgring

SO we expecting temperatures in the low 20s. no rain expected, but just cloudy weekend. Perfect temperatures for Mercedes I guess

mikeerfol

What do you think about this one?

Dominic Harlow @Dom_Harlow
Wondering if any driver who had a tyre failure and finished yesterday will have damaged their differential. Could affect the grid on Sunday?

kooleracer
kooleracer

Medium and Soft tyres, These will mean we will have a stronger Lotus and Ferrari. So it will a 4 way battle. And don't know if Nurburgring is front or rear limited but i think this a traction circuit so rear limited. That means Merc and RBR have less advantage. I think Kimi or Alonso to take the win. Vettel 3rd and Merc 4-5.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

rssh

This is a track on which all the cars strong point get nullified over the lap i.e. Macca strong front end (S1) Redbull good traction and balance (S2) Ferrari at par in everything in all sectors (as always FA only). Loved the 2011 race and love the track (I hate Hockenheim new layout). I have to say I am impressed with the post-tyregate Merc and it has shown good wear levels and I expect them to win from Pole. Redbull though has good traction and better braking I expect them to be on the second row.

PS - I will be surprised if Bernie Eccelstone turns up for this GP :mrgreen:

raymondu999

kooleracer wrote:Medium and Soft tyres, These will mean we will have a stronger Lotus and Ferrari. So it will a 4 way battle. And don't know if Nurburgring is front or rear limited but i think this a traction circuit so rear limited. That means Merc and RBR have less advantage. I think Kimi or Alonso to take the win. Vettel 3rd and Merc 4-5.
Haven't noticed the Merc, but the Red Bull has proven a stronger rear-limited car than the Lotus or Ferrari.

Having said that though - I see this circuit as front limited, actually. Not many slow traction events - more about carrying the right speeds.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vasconia

Vettel wasnt great in 2011 but he is now a much competent and regular driver. I expect a pole from Mercedes and then a close battle between them, Vettel and perhaps Alonso if the Ferrari doesnt struggle too much with the low temperatures. He really needs to improve on Saturday.

I dont know what to expect from Lotus, they need higher temperatures and high tyre degradation to make the difference.

max_speed
max_speed

rssh wrote:This is a track on which all the cars strong point get nullified over the lap i.e. Macca strong front end (S1) Redbull good traction and balance (S2) Ferrari at par in everything in all sectors (as always FA only). Loved the 2011 race and love the track (I hate Hockenheim new layout). I have to say I am impressed with the post-tyregate Merc and it has shown good wear levels and I expect them to win from Pole. Redbull though has good traction and better braking I expect them to be on the second row.

forget Ferrari and Lotus , they r done with this year's championship. its a straight 2 way fight between mercs and redbull . lets hope mercedes dominates this race and keep championship alive for sometime. post tyregate mercedes looks like best car on the grid (a bit down on race pace) but if temp remains low as predicted , they will take away an easy win against Redbull.

Racer X

I can see Vettel still getting enough wins. Nico and Lewis will take away from each other eliminating chances for Drivers Championship leaving Vettel to still win it even if Merc takes the Constructors Champ.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

gandharva

Rumors... Seems we already will see kevlar belt tires at Nurburgring. An official announcement is expected during the day.

This seems a bit too quick for me. But never say never...

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

gandharva wrote:Rumors... Seems we already will see kevlar belt tires at Nurburgring. An official announcement is expected during the day.

They had them ready to go at silverstone. It was only the veto by Lotus and Ferrari that stopped them being used so I can't see any reason why they can't use the tyres that they had ready fro that event. It may mean that it's Hard and mediums, rather than hard and soft...

myurr
myurr

bonjon1979 wrote:
gandharva wrote:Rumors... Seems we already will see kevlar belt tires at Nurburgring. An official announcement is expected during the day.

They had them ready to go at silverstone. It was only the veto by Lotus and Ferrari that stopped them being used so I can't see any reason why they can't use the tyres that they had ready fro that event. It may mean that it's Hard and mediums, rather than hard and soft...
Be fair, Force India vetoed the tyres as well.

Mika1
Mika1

I expect Mercedes to dominate S3.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Unc1e_M0nty

max_speed wrote:
rssh wrote:This is a track on which all the cars strong point get nullified over the lap i.e. Macca strong front end (S1) Redbull good traction and balance (S2) Ferrari at par in everything in all sectors (as always FA only). Loved the 2011 race and love the track (I hate Hockenheim new layout). I have to say I am impressed with the post-tyregate Merc and it has shown good wear levels and I expect them to win from Pole. Redbull though has good traction and better braking I expect them to be on the second row.

forget Ferrari and Lotus , they r done with this year's championship. its a straight 2 way fight between mercs and redbull . lets hope mercedes dominates this race and keep championship alive for sometime. post tyregate mercedes looks like best car on the grid (a bit down on race pace) but if temp remains low as predicted , they will take away an easy win against Redbull.
Oh come on.... after the first race of the season it was Lotus's title to loose, then Ferrari's, I expect both the Merc's & Red Bull's to drop away again as some point, it will be dependent on track, tyres & temp. Horses for courses some might say.

What a fickle game this is

f1316
f1316

You would think a quick fix would be to bring the soft and super soft from last year. If this year's tyres are one step softer, this would be equivalent to the soft and mediums fro 2013 - which is exactly what we were supposed to have.

Do we think Pirelli still keep enough of these old tyres? I'm sure they *had* a stock pile, but what happens to tyres from previous seasons once they are no longer part of the current 'crop', I wonder?

diego.liv
diego.liv

f1316 wrote:You would think a quick fix would be to bring the soft and super soft from last year. If this year's tyres are one step softer, this would be equivalent to the soft and mediums fro 2013 - which is exactly what we were supposed to have.

Do we think Pirelli still keep enough of these old tyres? I'm sure they *had* a stock pile, but what happens to tyres from previous seasons once they are no longer part of the current 'crop', I wonder?
Couldn't they just recycle old tyres? Metals and rubber, something more?
I don't mean they recycle them for f1, but normal tyres, cheap tyres for other markets (maybe not even under Pirelli brand, some 2nd market, tyres for toys, etc..)