2013 German GP - Nurburgring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: 2013 German GP - Nurburgring

All F1 tyres used or not used are destroyed. Except for those that Pirelli keep for samples. It is done by all suppliers of performance tyres to protect their secrets.

The rears for Nürburgring will have to come partially from the test batch they produced for Canada and Silverstone and from new production. I doubt that they had two different compounds ready for Silverstone. So one compound has to be made as we speak.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

turbof1

WhiteBlue wrote:All F1 tyres used or not used are destroyed. Except for those that Pirelli keep for samples. It is done by all suppliers of performance tyres to protect their secrets.

The rears for Nürburgring will have to come partially from the test batch they produced for Canada and Silverstone and from new production. I doubt that they had two different compounds ready for Silverstone. So one compound has to be made as we speak.
It is actually mandatory by the rules. The FIA really demands them to be destroyed. Pirelli complained about that last year or 2 years back.
#AeroFrodo

SamH123

We could be talking about an air temp of 27C+ because a heatwave is expected in northern Europe starting this weekend

Good news for Lotus & Ferrari. Also, Pirelli are bringing kevlar bonded tires, that will still be in the Soft & Hard configuration?

edit: although I've read now that the Nurburgring is at quite a high altitude so it might not be so bad
Last edited by SamH123 on 02 Jul 2013, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Given the situation should Pirelli even consider 2 compounds? They could just take 1 which is best suited and drop the option tyre plan.

WhiteBlue

WilliamsF1 wrote:Given the situation should Pirelli even consider 2 compounds? They could just take 1 which is best suited and drop the option tyre plan.
Two compounds are required by the regulations. The respective paragraphs are not lifted by the FiA. So the requirement is valid. It is also a safety issue to have two different compounds.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

kalinka

At the main page of F1Technical, there is still the wrong date for the German GP. July 14th, and 12 days to go :)
Please correct...

oT v1

I think webber will on good form again so I expect RBR/Merc/RBR podium. Goujon is the darkhorse :p
The Power of Dreams

raymondu999

It's Grosjean, not "Goujon"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

monsi

raymondu999 wrote:It's Grosjean, not "Goujon"
... and will Lotus deliver, so that the Nurburgring will be his plaice ?

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

SectorOne

I've said Ham pole every race and hopefully he gets his first win here for the season.

If it's cool i think Mercedes can dominate the race, yes dominate.
But with the heat wave expected, maybe Alonso and Kimi come through.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

iotar__

max_speed wrote:
rssh wrote:This is a track on which all the cars strong point get nullified over the lap i.e. Macca strong front end (S1) Redbull good traction and balance (S2) Ferrari at par in everything in all sectors (as always FA only). Loved the 2011 race and love the track (I hate Hockenheim new layout). I have to say I am impressed with the post-tyregate Merc and it has shown good wear levels and I expect them to win from Pole. Redbull though has good traction and better braking I expect them to be on the second row.

PS - I will be surprised if Bernie Eccelstone turns up for this GP :mrgreen:
forget Ferrari and Lotus , they r done with this year's championship. its a straight 2 way fight between mercs and redbull . lets hope mercedes dominates this race and keep championship alive for sometime. post tyregate mercedes looks like best car on the grid (a bit down on race pace) but if temp remains low as predicted , they will take away an easy win against Redbull.
Lotus were done long time ago, if you don't fight for wins in China or Bahrain, you can't call yourself championship contender. Trademark collecting leftovers will not be enough. You might also say they were done when Pirelli decided to bring hard-medium type combinations to Hungary (obligatory tyre reference).

As for Ferrari, you will be surprised for the third time but maybe not in Germany. It's interesting that you don't consider losing middle of the season test as a set back. It looks like it's going to be a mixed young/regular driver test. FIA is making sure Mercedes don't lose too much. So it IS important to ensure that regular development is separated from tyre testing, do they have some special deal (FIA-Merc)?

Specifically about Germany I have no clue, Ferrari slipped badly without wind tunnel, Lotus's (Raikkonen) pace was much better in Silverstone, I don't see a reason why they couldn't fight with Mercedes if not RB, especially if it's warm. Overall it should be closer. I predict odd podium for Di Resta, this time he'll have every luck in the world :o , qualifying penalties, DNF, safety car and strategy, everything.

max_speed

SamH123 wrote:We could be talking about an air temp of 27C+ because a heatwave is expected in northern Europe starting this weekend

Good news for Lotus & Ferrari. Also, Pirelli are bringing kevlar bonded tires, that will still be in the Soft & Hard configuration?

edit: although I've read now that the Nurburgring is at quite a high altitude so it might not be so bad
lets hope sun comes out in full force on saturday and keeps ferrari and lotus in mix for qualifying . a mix order among mercedes , ferrari , redbulls and lotus will make it exciting prospect for sunday. if we can see a ferrari and a lotus in top5 , then this will guarantee that GOD has but interest in keeping this year championship alive. i am counting on hamilton and rosberg to keep vettel close to alonso and raikonen.

Vasconia

SamH123 wrote:We could be talking about an air temp of 27C+ because a heatwave is expected in northern Europe starting this weekend

For the track it is expected no more than 24 degrees, but this could change, if it is a very sunny day the temperature could be increased in 3-4 degrees easily. So Lotus and Ferrari are praying for the typical summer day.

Higher temperatures are expected in all europe, I live in the south and now we have 21 degrees, 27-29 are expected for Sunday.

SectorOne

max_speed wrote:then this will guarantee that GOD has but interest in keeping this year championship alive.
I hope this is a joke,
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"