2013 Hungarian GP - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
rssh

Re: 2013 Hungarian GP - Hungaroring

I know Hungry is still some time ahead but are there any weather prediction ? I am longing for a wet race (w/o SC offcourse) like 2011 and this track is boring in dry atleast for the TV audience (not as boring as Monaco) due to relatively less passes. I know people would want a completely dry weekend to simulate the latest tyres (especially MERC) but its a green track than most other in EU tracks due to lack of racing so one may not get ideal result of tyres in practice session.

In dry I expect Lotus to dominate after passing MERC in the race due to soft and medium tyre choice. I don't know but the Ferrari looks to have horrible under-steer mid corner following a car as seen in previous 2 races so far. RB will be competitive and contender for podiums. Also I expect Macca to get better pace than FI due to newer tyres .

PS- Is this front or rear LTD track cause it looks more front than rear atleast in simulation games.

WhiteBlue

I think it is premature to speculate about tyre performance in Hungary. The last race absolutely did not turn out the way the speculation generally called it before. It could be once again a surprise to see which team adapts best to the changes. So far this has been Red Bull and Vettel. I would not bet against them in Hungary as well. But calling their performance boring is a bit unbalanced IMO. They are certainly given the run for their money as Seb said in Germany. The races are unpredictable and mostly exciting. We cannot ask for much more. If your preferred driver does not win there is no justification to spoil the fun for others by whining. Nothing is as certain in motor sport but the fact that things change quickly. Next season we will have very conservative tyre and so we should just enjoy what we have now. I'm sure next season people will complain of the boring tyres. One thing I do agree with is the criticism of the three week breaks. No good really.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hollus

This wasn't supposed to be a 3 week break. Istanbul was supposed to happen in it.
Rivals, not enemies.

komninosm
komninosm

hollus wrote:This wasn't supposed to be a 3 week break. Istanbul was supposed to happen in it.
I knew Turkey was axed from 2012, but was it ever in for 2013 in the first place?

banibhusan

rssh wrote: PS- Is this front or rear LTD track cause it looks more front than rear atleast in simulation games.
IMO, its a mix of both I guess. There are lot of low to medium speed corners in S1 and S2 which would require good change of direction, whereas S3 has few slow corners which would need good traction while existing the corners. Merc will be mighty in the S3 as usual.

WhiteBlue

komninosm wrote:
hollus wrote:This wasn't supposed to be a 3 week break. Istanbul was supposed to happen in it.
I knew Turkey was axed from 2012, but was it ever in for 2013 in the first place?
It was kind of under discussion when New Jersey failed to pay their bill. But as usual Bernie was too greedy.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

kalinka
kalinka

rssh wrote:I know Hungry is still some time ahead but are there any weather prediction ?

You can bet on very hot weather in this time of the year. In Hungary the hottest day of the summer comes usually late July / early August. So it will be above 30c for sure, but more probably around 35c. I lived there and I know the climate very well, and I live not too far away either. The only thing that could change this is an usual summer thunderstorm, which can be brutal, but it's almost always very localized and short-term. I hope it will happen, because dry race will be boring I'm sure :)

godlameroso

rssh wrote:I know Hungry is still some time ahead but are there any weather prediction ? I am longing for a wet race (w/o SC offcourse) like 2011 and this track is boring in dry atleast for the TV audience (not as boring as Monaco) due to relatively less passes. I know people would want a completely dry weekend to simulate the latest tyres (especially MERC) but its a green track than most other in EU tracks due to lack of racing so one may not get ideal result of tyres in practice session.

In dry I expect Lotus to dominate after passing MERC in the race due to soft and medium tyre choice. I don't know but the Ferrari looks to have horrible under-steer mid corner following a car as seen in previous 2 races so far. RB will be competitive and contender for podiums. Also I expect Macca to get better pace than FI due to newer tyres .

PS- Is this front or rear LTD track cause it looks more front than rear atleast in simulation games.
Looks like it's going to be a dry and boring race.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

banibhusan wrote:
rssh wrote: PS- Is this front or rear LTD track cause it looks more front than rear atleast in simulation games.
IMO, its a mix of both I guess. There are lot of low to medium speed corners in S1 and S2 which would require good change of direction, whereas S3 has few slow corners which would need good traction while existing the corners. Merc will be mighty in the S3 as usual.
The slow stuff isn't where you gain time. It's turns 4,8, 9 and 11 that yield the most time per lap, and also the place where the most tire wear occurs. Whoever can go fastest in those turns consistently is the fastest. Everywhere else pretty much relies on mechanical grip, or the car has too much downforce for the turn to matter.
Saishū kōnā

iotar__

godlameroso wrote: Looks like it's going to be a dry and boring race.
Like most formula 1 races :o

Three chances for more interesting race:
- Lotus qualifying closer to the front, they were not far in Germany, but since they're not a normal team and their aim will be not to repeat "problems" of the last race, it's not going to happen.
- if Mercedes qualify in front of Red Bulls and unlike in Germany will be able to keep the position and be a nuisance for them as well.
- forced stints length differences (pace/tyres), preferably unexpected

Hail22

So with Pirelli changing the tire allocation it seems like Red Bull / Lotus will run away with this race?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Neno
Neno

Hail22 wrote:So with Pirelli changing the tire allocation it seems like Red Bull / Lotus will run away with this race?
what pirelli change you cant whole season race on hard component :?

raymondu999

Hail22 wrote:So with Pirelli changing the tire allocation it seems like Red Bull / Lotus will run away with this race?
Interesting. What makes you say that?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

raymondu999 wrote:
Interesting. What makes you say that?
If you just go by the result of the German GP and disregard the tyre construction changes that will happen for the next race you could jump to the conclusion that Red Bull and Lotus are the teams to shine again in Hungary. But it probably is not that simple. Ferrari can never be discounted and even Mercedes could find the silver bullet that solves their over heating problems. For me it is pretty much up in the air except the fact that Red Bull have started the season strong and are unlikely to fall back now. That would be completely against the pattern of relative competitiveness that we have come to expect from them over the last four seasons. So I expect the betting money to be on Red Bull for every race until we get some fundamental contrary indicators.

raymondu999

To me it discounts many factors - too many to be of a high probability. Sorry Hail.

Germany was an example of one layout, one range of track temps. We've seen how the pecking order has fluctuated even until SIlverstone - and there were no tyre changes involved. Furthermore, the changes to happen from Germany to Hungary are greater than Silverstone to Germany
失败者找理由,成功者找方法