FIA - Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Why not get rid of the rear wing completely?

BAR did this with their high-speed prototype, just has a rudder on the end.

"It looks more like F1 cars of previous decades before huge wings" they said.

The rudder was for safety, because that car is on a different "track." However, would getting rid of the rear wing allow for a good amount of overtaking? What about when combined with other techs like regenerative braking, larger diffusers, and active aero? maybe new tire designs? assymmetric tires anyone?

I forgot to add, it will make the cars look better too!

johny

just having a single front wing and a single rear wing, big slick tyres and increasing the breaking distance, even come back to groud effect and of course, forget all driving aids
the perfect solution will be go back to the 60's

manchild

Can anyone imagine what will happen in case of tyre or suspension failure?! It takes only a brief contact between tyre and CDG wing to cause serious incidents and create a mess on circuit.

RH1300S

manchild wrote:Can anyone imagine what will happen in case of tyre or suspension failure?! It takes only a brief contact between tyre and CDG wing to cause serious incidents and create a mess on circuit.

Good point and funny pic.............

But if you are going to revert to the 60´s in regard to car design then Formula 1 will no longer be percieved as the pinnacle of motorsport and that is kind of what keeps Formula 1 above other series.

So how do you intend to keep the Formula 1 cars the fastest and at the same time the most interesting ?

In my view the problem today is the racing but the cars are amazing. I dont think the otherway around is the best way to go.

/ Fx

Scuderia_Russ

Well noted, this is partly why the F.I.A. have such a tough job.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

johny

there's no need to revert, as a sport f1 must provide some action, it could be the pinnacle but not a hiper exclusive show where just 2 or 3 teams can compete, that isn't motorsport

manchild

Problem is in fact that F1 was actually doing fine before FIA came to an idea to cut costs, ban a lot of technology etc. Before FIA started messing there was between 30 and 39 cars on each race weekend, we had many different concepts, many small teams, different designs and a lot of overtaking.

Since FIA started to “save” the F1 from disaster it turned out to be saving F1 from itself. Small teams have died because of incompetence of the “Dr. Mossley”, any passenger car nowadays has more advanced technology than F1 car and the overtaking has disappeared.

Operation successful - patient dead!

That is why today reverting seams logical and I support it when it considers allowing banned technology. Unfortunately it can’t resurrect teams that made history of F1 – Lotus, Ligier, Tyrell… :cry:

Scuderia_Russ

It's natural progression, not the F.I.A. tampering with the sport that has hurt it. There is a good chance that there could be less than ten teams on the grid if the F.I.A. hadn't made some attempt at keeping costs under control.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

The areo regs have been changing alot but the changes has been made to maintain a reasonable level of safety for both spectators and drivers.

If they had kept the same regs as during the early -90s then the cars would have to fast for the circuits and to unsafe for the drivers.

How would you have done to increase the number of teams ? I dont think that quantity over quality is way to go.

/ Fx

guest222
guest222

Reverting to no front or rear wings a la 60's doesn't necessarily mean that F1 would fall from the pinnacle of world motorsport technology. Aerodynamics will always be a key factor in these cars and these teams will still be doing the research to prove that.

There are also still things like active aero or underbody airflow management that can be allowed for in the regulations to compensate for the lack of the rear wings. Bringing these back from the dead would make for some interesting cars, ones that probably will look better too. No rear wings might actually make Monaco an interesting race, not just qualifying.

manchild

The technical directors that form Formula One's Technical Working Group, have rejected the FIA's controversial new wing - the Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing.

YEEESSSSS! :mrgreen: \:D/ =D>

Wonder what Mosley is doing now ... :-({|= ](*,) :-#

ackzsel

manchild wrote:The technical directors that form Formula One's Technical Working Group, have rejected the FIA's controversial new wing - the Centreline Downwash Generating (CDG) Wing.

YEEESSSSS! :mrgreen: \:D/ =D>

Wonder what Mosley is doing now ... :-({|= ](*,) :-#
That's great news! Do you have any details about why it has been rejected?

guest222
guest222

hmm, the title of the article is misleading... it is rejected for 2007, but seems likely to be on the 2008 cars.

what is it exactly that you dislike about the CDG? Aesthetics? Do you not want more overtaking?

If its a matter of aesthetics, then why have a rear spoiler at all?[/i]