A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
strad

Re: A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

Quoting from the book Gurneys Eagles the exciting story of the AAR Racing Cars, in the section on the "mag-ti" (so nicknamed for the used of the then novel materials) section on reducing the weight:
"A big challenge successfully surmounted was the crafting of the exhaust headers in titanium, reducing their weight to 16½ pounds from the 36½ pounds the steel headers scaled."
There are many pictures in the book that show them in painted white. I assume those are the steel ones used at first.
In all through the use of magnesium and titanium they shaved off 88 pounds to bring it down to 1,192 pounds from the original 1,280.
As an aside that was still 92 pounds over the 1100 pound minimum :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

e36jon

Hey gang

I feel like I started the header material debate and got us into an image-free conversation. So, as penance, here are the Ti headers (I believe.):

Let's all commit to getting our image on so the thread maintains it's awesomeness...

63l8qrrfy6

e36jon wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 03:53
I think of the Eagle F1 crew being not unlike Penske in the CART days: No one was going to call them scruffy...

Roon: You would think with an engineering degree I could break down the factors of mandrel bending Inconel, but I can't. Ask me about draft angles for injection molded parts though... I'm working off of a vague memory that Inconel is much harder and less ductile than either stainless or other steels that might be used for headers, so cracking during forming is an issue. But then, how do they come to have mandrel bent sections to then cut up into pieces and re-weld into headers? I leave it to others to put this to bed.
Modern inconel exhausts use hydroformed sections welded together. I think before that they did mandrel bend them though ?

Fun fact: the exhaust primaries of the Merc V8 posted by roon on P78 used overlapping sections to act as a friction damper for the manifold.

e36jon

I looked around online and there are several motorsports centric places that will make Inconel u-bends for you. They all talked about the specificity of the internal support die (material, offset, etc.) and other aspects of 'doing it right'.

Below are some pics of the associated tooling:

Here's a link to 'Goodfabs' who make exhaust systems for a number of F1 teams: https://www.goodfabs.com/single-post/Cr ... om-scratch

e36jon

Since we're on the exhaust topic I thought I would post some old 500cc two stroke MotoGP pics. They seem like they are ALL exhaust:

These top two are the 1996 Yamaha YZR500:

These bottom two are the Honda NSR:

strad

One more Westlake
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

roon

Long engines, then? How about a wide-vee flathead Cadillac V16.

Guess they call that a hot & cold vee. Warm vee?

A slightly smaller, narrower version:

But why stop at 16?

Zynerji

I always liked flat heads...

Id love to see a side- fired tji implemented into one, but with 4 valves, 2 on each side of the cylinder.

roon

I bet someone's made a 4-valve/cylinder flathead in the past hundred years.

Zynerji

roon wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 03:13
I bet someone's made a 4-valve/cylinder flathead in the past hundred years.
Can't find any...🤨🤨🤨

djos

Zynerji wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 02:54

Id love to see a side- fired tji implemented into one, but with 4 valves, 2 on each side of the cylinder.
They look cool, but they would have to be the most inefficient head design possible!
"In downforce we trust"

wuzak

dren wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 19:09
This was posted on reddit today:

https://i.redd.it/su2ylk5rc6h11.jpg
BRM V16 with 2 stage supercharger by Rolls-Royce.

wuzak

roon wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 02:43
But why stop at 16?
42 Cylinder Wright Tornado

A modular design that could be built in 14 cylinder, 28 cylinder, 42, cylinder, 56 cylinder, etc, versions.

Of course there was teh R-4360, with a mere 28 cylinders

http://www.nyemachine.com/pratt_whitney_r4360.php

And teh 24 cylinder Rolls-Royce Pennine was also planned ina 32 cylinder version

https://oldmachinepress.com/2012/11/23/ ... d-pennine/

BassVirolla

djos wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 07:14
Zynerji wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 02:54

They look cool, but they would have to be the most inefficient head design possible!
But rock-hard reliability and an awesome and quite special sound does for me forgiving it. I have a single cylinder flathead with over forty years still running from time to time. And it always start at first try. :D

Just_a_fan

wuzak wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 08:58

Of course there was teh R-4360, with a mere 28 cylinders
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ajor_1.jpg
Ah, that's what that is. I saw one of those on a stand (with no information attached) at the Reno Air Races back in 2015 and had no idea what it was. It looked like someone had built it in a shed as a joke - it was so long and complicated!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.