Formula One fatalities.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Formula One fatalities.

I think they are reasonably safe.
:lol: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

timbo

strad wrote:Now you can alter that to deal with luck if you believe differently, but the fact is, you cannot be safe from death ever.
Doesn't mean I can't improve my chances.

Manoah2u

GitanesBlondes wrote:Manoah, 2 things.

1) Maria de Villota's cause of death was marked down as being of natural causes, and there has been no verification to date as to whether her accident contributed to it. It's pointless to speculate till the actual facts come out.

2) Your Jeremy Clarkson example as to the "normal" seating position is pointless as Jeremy is a huge man.
1) that is not true, the 'natural cause' was a indirect result of the head traume as autopsy reveal neurologically. it was 'natural' as it was not induced in a direct accident at the time of death.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... aim-family

there is no way a human of that age just 'dies' naturally at such a young age.

2) it is not pointless. jeremy clarkson's seating position is not natural compared to a 'normal' seating position indeed because it is designed for smaller drivers. if the driver of the 96 arrows in the classic race was larger or fatter then the drivers it was designed for, he finds himself in an unnatural position and thus more prone to dangers that would exist less for the original drivers.
comparison of j.clarkson are made because for example jean alesi would not be exposed to the same dangers as jeremy clarkson though they're both driving exactly the same cars.

if you bring 2 things don't bring 2 things that are not correct.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

strad wrote:I really think this thread should be closed as it's always the same. A bunch of name calling by those who think we should all be packed in cotton versus those who think life is an adventure that should be enjoyed to the max.
I can only suppose most of you think that to fly in one of those "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" suits are crazy and that they should be outlawed...If I wasn't so old and lacking in the required arm strength, I'd do it today. :wink:
so because there are forum members who are disgusted by lack of respect for human life and state this just as publically as the person that publically states he'd rather have the 'good old days' where people died during races this thread should be closed? rediculous.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Scuderia Nuvolari

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=830_1256313127

I have mixed emotions about posting this
1) This was not a f1 race but Pierre was an f1 driver
2) This is not what racing is about
My memory is that they say Mike Hawthorne did not signal to enter the pits
Hell has no furry like magnesium
Delete this if you like but i think this thread should be locked

Ted68

I also thought this thread should be closed due to the obvious.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

rayden

Ted68 wrote:I also thought this thread should be closed due to the obvious.
Why?

GitanesBlondes

For those who do not like my opinions, accept it, as I have accepted that you will never share my viewpoints. I know why you gentlemen think the way you do, and I can respect that...a courtesy multiple posters have been incapable of extending me, resorting to personal attacks when someone doesn't share their views.

In any event, it's time.

July 29, 1973. Those of us know the date and what it means. A death in a Mosley March, Roger Williamson.

"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

strad

so because there are forum members who are disgusted by lack of respect for human life and state this just as publically as the person that publically states he'd rather have the 'good old days' where people died during races this thread should be closed? rediculous.
No,,Because so many cannot refrain from personal attacks which is never good.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Blanchimont

Is the fifth picture in your last post really necessary, gitanes?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Manoah2u

Blanchimont wrote:Is the fifth picture in your last post really necessary, gitanes?
+2.

FW17

FIA sure have made F1 safe but I also think that it has been a natural progression of the western society as a whole towards occupational health and safety. F1 was lacking in it in the 90's, senna's accident was an avoidable wake up call to the FIA which was preoccupied in selling F1 rather than governing it.

On the other side hats of to NASCAR and Indycar for continuing with ovals, making cars and circuits as safe as possible while reminding drivers of the risks when they get it wrong.

Gravel traps were an integral part of a racing circuit, it was a mistake to remove it.

DaveKillens

Blanchimont wrote:Is the fifth picture in your last post really necessary, gitanes?
I think it is necessary. People need to understand that racing carries terrible consequences for mistakes, be it human or mechanical. To wrap yourself in a cotton ball and pretend, or consciously avoid the realities of racing is a form of denial. Or would you rather see the written word, that Purley could hear his friend Williamson screaming for help as he was trapped upside down, and burning to death?

Of course this brings up haunting, horrific mental images that grate against our civilized minds and lifestyles. But if we wish to live in a land of fairies and unicorns and stories that always end in "and they lived happily after after', then having anything to do with racing should be off our list.

Because the cruel sport of racing is dangerous by nature, we should never be complacent, and always be aware of this so that safety can continuously improve.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

munudeges

gilgen wrote:hence my comment to you about what do you want to see? I certainly would not get any pleasure to see a dying person on tv, and don't understand any person who seemingly wants to view the crashes in detail.
Go ask Jackie Stewart or Max Mosley that question. They felt happy to continue in a sport where this was going on, and you've also inadvertently touched on why Formula 1 finally got motivated to do something. You don't get any pleasure seeing someone killed or injured on TV, that means viewers and that means money.
...and for you to say that the safety crusade by stewart and others , saw no improvement? That is one of the weirdest comments I have seen here! there was a terrific improvement in safety...
No there wasn't. Right through the 60s into the early 70s when Jackie Stewart and Max Mosley claimed they were on this safety crusade zilch changed, as I've said. You can't just make blanket statements like this.

The state of medical care didn't improve until into the late 70s and mandatory regulations for breathing equipment and cockpit safety structures didn't come in until the mid to late 70s as the sport was becoming more and more televised.
I think that every f1 pundit attributes most of the current safety of f1, to stewart
Because it's a part line they repeat to each other. They are severely misinformed, as this thread has shown.
it is well known and accepted in the medical industry, that assisting in a crash is best left to the trained experts, and I doubt that stewart had any such training.
There were no trained experts back then, and this is where you show your lack of knowledge about the subject. All a fellow driver had to help was his fellow drivers. The state of marshalling didn't improve one iota until long after Stewart had retired, despite all his bleating. Those who can do and confront the situation as it is, those who can't try and make it look like they can do by talking about it. Stewart was the latter.
Last edited by munudeges on 30 Dec 2013, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

munudeges

I'm afraid it is because this is a thread about Formula 1 fatalities and this is the kind of thing that used to happen, all too regularly unfortunately.

It's why I make my point somewhat forcefully about Jackie Stewart, because this is the kind of thing he used to regularly drive past while his fellow drivers are the ones who climbed out of their cars to assist while he attempts to take all the credit for going on about safety. The assistance of a fellow driver was about all a driver in difficulty had back then because marshals still didn't have any fire safety equipment or retardant clothing despite Stewart's constant bleating.
Last edited by munudeges on 30 Dec 2013, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.