Formula One fatalities.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Formula One fatalities.

good!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

mnmracer wrote:
langwadt wrote: The cars tended to just skip over them and lose very little speed or roll over, I believe them tarmac run offs are considered safer though I'm not sure that it is as clear in the wet
The problem with gravel traps is that they work perfectly for the more heavy cars, such as touring cars, that can really dig into the gravel. When you have a combination of light and fast, like F1 and LMP, it doesn't work quite as well.
I may be wrong here but I have seen 2 types of gravel traps;
1) which have ruts on them
2) flat gravel traps

the 2nd one is still employed in OZ gp with colored/synthetic gravel and works quiet well.

countersteer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxWT59NEfY[/youtube]
But if you get the trap grooming wrong, things can go very wrong...

Manoah2u

countersteer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxWT59NEfY
wow, that could have gone very very wrong...... :wtf:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

j2004p

countersteer wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoxWT59NEfY
Holy s*** the way the rotational axis of the car appears to be his head which is centimeters from the catch fence during the rotation makes this particularly frightening!

strad

Once again it would appear some are looking for a magic bullet...I can show gravel trap footage where they work perfect,,,then there are the ones where the vehichle skims across without slowing and others where they dig in and make things worse...Same with asphalt...grass, anything,,,there is no perfect solution.
With gravel, I don't think you can have one type that works with all cars..you'd need different size and texture for almost every different series.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xDama

I've posted this same idea in another thread, but it's relevant to the discussion here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 2&start=15

Why aren't circuits build with a tarmac run-off zone, with a layer of gravel or grass on top of it? I'm thinking tarmac, with about 5 or 10cm of gravel or dirt. If a car goes off, he's still heavily penalised for the mistake, since the layer of gravel will slow him down, make the tyres dirty and make the car lose a lot of grip. At the same time a car is less likely to flip or dig in to the gravelbox, like with the old gravelboxes.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

GitanesBlondes

strad wrote:Once again it would appear some are looking for a magic bullet...I can show gravel trap footage where they work perfect,,,then there are the ones where the vehichle skims across without slowing and others where they dig in and make things worse...Same with asphalt...grass, anything,,,there is no perfect solution.
With gravel, I don't think you can have one type that works with all cars..you'd need different size and texture for almost every different series.
Some would have us believe there is a one-size-fits-all solution for everything.

Kind of interesting how I mentioned tarmac runoffs are extremely dangerous for motorcycle racing, but those extolling tarmac runoffs are silent on that.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

xpensive

This man was also one of Formula One's fatalities, but in another way, died of leukemia at the age of 30.

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

henra

GitanesBlondes wrote: Kind of interesting how I mentioned tarmac runoffs are extremely dangerous for motorcycle racing, but those extolling tarmac runoffs are silent on that.
In the other Thread an interview with Hermann Tilke was mentioned. From that interview I understood that the main purpose of the tramac runoffs was to make sure not too many Cars/Drivers retire early and Drivers taking bigger risks consequently.
Somehow seems a more honest explanation/reasoning for the blossom of tarmac runoffs in F1. Such reasoning could come straight from Bernie...

CMSMJ1

Gunnar Neilsson - he looks older than 30. It is no age to die. He won one though? A wet race was it?

There might be scope for the Martin Donnelly/Lehto/Lamy/Wendlinger type crashes - that may have been fatal a few years earlier and that also have impetus to the current safety regs and specs
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

xpensive

And Mario looks a lot older than 37, don't he, but those were the days.

xpensive

Somehow Patrick Depailler survived this at Hockenheim in 1980, but died only moments later;

FW17

I don't think i have ever seen such inconsiderate driving

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3FZbU-RRjo[/youtube]

idfx

John Button, father of Jenson, died?
----------