Moving F1-Staff

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pierce89

Re: Moving F1-Staff

wunderkind wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Red Bull will pay Macca some money. Surely Mclaren are too smart to employ a person that doesn't want to work there.
Maybe I'm being evil here. If I were Ron, I'd sue to get Fallows just to weaken Red Bull.
Fallows would weaken Mclaren if he didn't want to be there.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

alexx_88

wunderkind wrote:
321apex wrote:
wunderkind wrote:I doubt the addition of Eric Boullier would help Ferrari win.
Do you understand what role team managers fulfill?
Do you appreciate the magnitude of accomplishment Eric Boulier has achieved at Lotus?
Yes, but is Boullier going to help design and build a better car? Management-wise (both at Maranello and trackside), I don't think ferrari is poorly managed at all. Far from it in fact.

My point is, Ferrari needs to hire designers and engineers who can help build a better car than what they have at the moment.
And isn't the TP's job to make those hirings?

I think that Ferrari could learn a lot by studying the operations of Red Bull or Mercedes. Both of these companies have almost a separated management structure, with Newey and Lowe directing the technical side, while Horner and Wolf take care of the PR side of things. Domenicali does a very good job on the PR side of things. The real question is who handles the technical objectives for a season and the amount of risk to be taken. If Domenicali is to be blamed for this risk-free approach year after year that gets them nowhere, then it's both his fault and Fry's for accepting this. That's why I think a management structure like Mercedes has is much more efficient as it divides responsibilities to people who have the skills to handle them, rather than relying on one person to know it all.

321apex

wunderkind wrote:Management-wise (both at Maranello and trackside), I don't think ferrari is poorly managed at all. Far from it in fact.
So if Ferrari management is great and is not responsible for poor results, then who is?
Who makes the decision to hire this or that genius engineer?

wunderkind

321apex wrote:
wunderkind wrote:Management-wise (both at Maranello and trackside), I don't think ferrari is poorly managed at all. Far from it in fact.
So if Ferrari management is great and is not responsible for poor results, then who is?
Who makes the decision to hire this or that genius engineer?
You do the best with the hand of cards you got. The fact of the matter is there are not that many aero guys, designers, and engineers that are for hire that are on the same level as Newey & co.

The hiring of Allison is a great start. But I feel Mercedes has too much momentum to be challenged regularly.

ESPImperium

On the Prodromu/Fallows thing and Red Bull/McLaren possible legal action, something that could come out of it is that McLaren settle for Prodromu to start at the end of April and not work his Gardening Leave at Red Bull so that he can influence the McLaren-Honda MP4/30 as soon as possible and push the development path of that car now. It may come down to a civil agreement like that, which would be a good news story for the sport as well i think.

However, i think Litigation is going to happen.

wunderkind

ESPImperium wrote:On the Prodromu/Fallows thing and Red Bull/McLaren possible legal action, something that could come out of it is that McLaren settle for Prodromu to start at the end of April and not work his Gardening Leave at Red Bull so that he can influence the McLaren-Honda MP4/30 as soon as possible and push the development path of that car now. It may come down to a civil agreement like that, which would be a good news story for the sport as well i think.

However, i think Litigation is going to happen.
I would say litigation would be certain if it was left to Ron and Helmut. But I think Bernie will step in and tell them they need to get on with their jobs because Mercedes is so far down the road.

CjC
CjC

321apex wrote:Eric Boulier would be awesome at Ferrari.
I hope the decision makers at Scuderia come to their senses and show the door to Domenicalli. Nearly a decade of screwing up a winning operation is enough. I feared when Alonso was joining them, that he will fail to gain any success.

Eric Boulier being a francophone is out of place at a "stuffy" outfit like McLaren. Conflict of mentalities. Hope to see him at Ferrari in near future.
Supposedly Boulier is a mclaren fan and Ferrari and mclaren are as near as arch rivals
Just a fan's point of view

321apex

CjC wrote: Supposedly Boulier is a mclaren fan and Ferrari and mclaren are as near as arch rivals
From my experience, top flight engineers are fans of:
- status/ego
- challenges
- money
- women

Brands are for kids and rank near the bottom of the list.

CjC
CjC

321apex wrote:
CjC wrote: Supposedly Boulier is a mclaren fan and Ferrari and mclaren are as near as arch rivals
From my experience, top flight engineers are fans of:
- status/ego
- challenges
- money
- women

Brands are for kids and rank near the bottom of the list.
Rather,

Ok so Mclaren are offering Boullier status/ego as the racing boss, surely they have set him a list if challenges and I'm sure he isn't working for mclaren for free, so I think the top 3 on your list are covered, you also have to ask the question what more could Ferrari offer?.... Not much, which leads me back to my previous statement, Boullier is a mclaren fan so with the mclaren and Ferrari offers being the same he'll swing towards mclaren.

Maybe that's the kid in me though.
Just a fan's point of view

321apex

CjC wrote: Rather,

Ok so Mclaren are offering Boullier status/ego as the racing boss, surely they have set him a list if challenges and I'm sure he isn't working for mclaren for free, so I think the top 3 on your list are covered, you also have to ask the question what more could Ferrari offer?.... Not much, which leads me back to my previous statement, Boullier is a mclaren fan so with the mclaren and Ferrari offers being the same he'll swing towards mclaren.

Maybe that's the kid in me though.
[edited out fanboy comment - Flyboy]

When Boullier realized that his "house is on fire" (Lotus money situation) and needed to bail out, McLaren deal was truly mega attractive for him, while Ferrari did not exist. I commend Eric Boullier for staying the whole season and taking upon himself the wrath of the racing community for bad upper management practice at Lotus/Genii. He is the MAN.
Now we have a completely different situation.

Ferrari is in quickcrap and emergency moves may have to be called upon to turn things around. [edited out fanboy comment - Flyboy]

Considering the fact that clearly Ron is running things from the backseat, Eric's body language seen on TV says a lot. He is more capable than he is allowed to do at McLaren.
It's a fact that English always mistrust the French for many reasons.

If Ferrari decides to hire Eric, then regardless of contract situation he will go to Maranello and there will finally be hope of Scuderia repeating it's Schumacher era like success.

flyboy2160

If you disagree,just say so. Don't call other people's posts stupid and nonsensical.

edited for grammar

321apex

mclaren_mircea wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:If you disagree,just say so. Don't call other people posts stupid and nonsensical.
Why don't you ban those type of comments? If I would have written something like this as a Mclaren fan, I would have been bannen by you for a week/month an accused of "fanboy". Tell that guy that Boullier will never go to a team that is desintegrating at every level and at every aspect.
I am shocked by the emotional response and angry down votes stemming from my previous note. Apologies to those whose fan feelings may have been hurt. Be sure that I am not a Ferrari fan or any other team fan, rather I'm and an adult engineer with some experience willing to share my commentary on subject of F1 technology and management.

This site was created exactly for that sort of opinion exchange w/o throwing personal insults.
Currently I am rooting for Ricciardo to show Vettel some sand.

flyboy2160

I've edited out the fanboy comments that generated the complaints and deleted the complaints to try to get this back to civility. I don't read this thread other than to respond to a reported post. So instead of venting in public, please report an offensive fanboy post and I'll try to fix it.

mclaren_mircea

I found three more signings by Mclaren that were not mentioned until now.

Riccardo Ceccarelli - Control Systems Engineer, June 2013
Stephen Lambert - Battery Systems Engineer, August 2013
Marco Galliere - Control Systems Engineer, February 2014

munudeges

wunderkind wrote:Maybe I'm being evil here. If I were Ron, I'd sue to get Fallows just to weaken Red Bull.
Ron knows all about getting out of contracts. That wouldn't work.