Renault R26 Breaks Cover!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild

Tomba wrote:I wonder what's under that bulge in between the exhausts. I mean, it's just in front of the gearbox, so I would think of it as the engine. However, the shape is tigher further towards the front, and that's a lot of space there...

Any ideas that make more sense? :?
Perhaps they have made tunnel between engine and the exaust pipe and that is where the hot air is flowing trough before exiting at rear end :idea:

When you think of it there is enogh space for such design especialy if that was an idea at the begining of development.

French GP 2005
http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/p70901449id.jpg
Last edited by manchild on 17 Jan 2006, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Spencifer_Murphy

thats a good piont, another idea I had was that there could be some suspension components under their (torsion bars...dampers...that sort of thing)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

bernard

Giorgio Piola, eat your heart out! :D

Spencifer_Murphy

Nice one Bernard!!! Altho...what's the number 3 pionting at? :lol:

bernard

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Nice one Bernard!!! Altho...what's the number 3 pionting at? :lol:
Lemme see. Nr.3 rear impact structure, abnormally long. :)
That's actually from an up and coming, free f1technology news site, of which I'm the second illustrator.

Not to worry, it's not a competitor of this site, but rather a strike at f1.com. :D
We want to show that volunteers can give better quality content for FREE than f1.com pays their workers to do.
Stuff like the following just isn't good enough when the artist is getting paid for doing it.

The latest on f1.com; notice the amount of detail and technical insight on this beauty: :roll: :D

jezzwa

bernard wrote: notice the amount of detail and technical insight on this beauty: :roll: :D
At least the artist drew the logo's right and thats all f1.com care about :P
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

Spencifer_Murphy

True...have you noticed that EVER car (with the eception of the Mclaren & renault i think) have nose cones that look IDENTICAL in shape on f1.com's technical analysis pages?!

Oh btw...Barnard, that site you're working on...have you got a web address for it yet? If so what is it, and if not make sure you let us all know...cos I really like the illustarions you've done (okay I've only seen one...but its good).

bernard

Spencifer_Murphy wrote: Oh btw...Barnard, that site you're working on...have you got a web address for it yet? If so what is it, and if not make sure you let us all know...cos I really like the illustarions you've done (okay I've only seen one...but its good).
The web address and server space have been bought already.
The site is now in a testing phase, and probably will be ready for public beta test at the end of this month (2weeks). Hopefully :wink:

But rest assured, it's not one of those "will be ready sometime" sites, after all this money has been invested already- now we just want the results.
It's just annoying that the site is not finished yet when we would have content already, for example we had the Mclaren test livery news 2 days before any major news source caught a wiff of it (autosport.com, f1racing etc.)
I will keep you updated on the progress. =P~

monkeyboy1976

Great illustration Bernhard! 8) 8) 8) :!:

As soon as your site goes live let us all know. I guess you are pretty busy with at the moment. Best of luck!
If you need any help/support let us know.

bernard

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys.
Work is continuing behind the scenes, though I was upgrading my comp this past weekend so I was mainly offline and the site's look didn't progress all that much. Though now, with the new extra horse power under the hood and a new bigger, badder monitor I can kick some serious ass on the design department! :D

kilcoo316

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:That shape of the Rear Wing is something I've been thinking about ever since the 2004 "larger engine cover" rules came about. Everyone was talking about the aerodynamic effects, how the engine cover will be closer to the wing and how that will create more turbulant air on the rear wing and therefore less efficiency.

So, if Renault are thinking what I was thinking (obviously they have had to test it and perfect it in windtunnels etc) then maybe the wing is shaped that way to increase the distance between bodywork and the rear wing, to make the wing more efficient.

Also of note, anyone else noticed that the nose cone has sharper endges than the R25, a good comparison can be seen on the two pics that Dumrick posted. Another thing I saw was how "chunky" the airbox inlet appears...why do you think they would do that?...I have no ideas!

- Increasing the curvature of the rear wing like they have done will change the direction the wing produces its force. Instead of a large down and large rearward component (i.e. the wing produces both downforce and drag - without factoring in turbulence etc) the wing has a much reduced rearward component, so it is making the same downforce for reduced drag.

- As for the airbox, the main aim in airbox design is to prevent seperation of the air around the externals of the airbox at all conditions (worst being high speed and engine braking - where previous rammed air is being ejected from the airbox). To keep this attached a thicker rounded surface with reduced curvature is better.

Spencifer_Murphy

Aaaaaah, see that makes a lot more sense! Its great how we can learn from eachother, everything of what you said is something I should know...yet quite obviously I didnt think of...its great having so many different people with different opinions and abilities...we can all learn so much.

here's an idea...Max wants More Privateers???

How about "Team Tomba" made up of F1technical.net forum members :lol:

"2007 FIA Formula One Champion, Steven de Groote"

Has a nice ring doesn't it? :D

Sorry for being a bit off topic :oops:

ginsu

kilcoo316 wrote:- As for the airbox, the main aim in airbox design is to prevent seperation of the air around the externals of the airbox at all conditions (worst being high speed and engine braking - where previous rammed air is being ejected from the airbox). To keep this attached a thicker rounded surface with reduced curvature is better.
I don't know why I didn't think of this either. This must also be the reason why we've been seeing ever increasing 'shark fin' engine covers. When the flow separates off the cover it must destroy the flow going to the rear wing (especially during cornering, where the airbox has some sideslip). I bet the CDG wing will completely change the airbox/engine cover area of the car. It should be interesting.
I love to love Senna.

monkeyboy1976

Interesting image of the rear of the R26...

Steven
Owner

Here is the technical specification and an image of the engine:

http://www.f1technical.net/f1db/cars/899