Renault R26 Breaks Cover!

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
scarbs

Yes and very similar strucutres sit beneath the skin on the more recent cars too.

manchild

Why would they need to attach sidebars in new desing when the structure of of sidepod inlet is closed (rounded) and therefore much stiffer than bars conneted on one of their ends to chassis? I mean, if the bars were there like on older cars than why would new sidepod inlets be as much integral part of the chassis as it is roll bar structure/airbox inlet?

Last edited by manchild on 27 Feb 2006, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

johny

new nose for r26

m3_lover

The back wing looks less pronouced as it did when it debuted, maybe a new wing?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild

Renault switched to cooling air intake at the begining ot the nose insead of one on the top of the chassis they had before. Just an observation.

Last edited by manchild on 23 Feb 2006, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

vyselegend

The camber angle of the front tires seems quite pronounced, especially on the pic posted by johny (or maybe just an impression). Is it a classic set up for barcelona, or could it be linked with a problem with the car's behavior? (or maybe it's a set up that fit to the intermediate tires...). can someone enlighten me?

manchild

:cool:

Scuderia_Russ

Sweet!

ginsu

Blown engine?

I guess there's no doubt about it being an outlet back there. Possibly helping to drive the diffuser?

Nice detail on the rear wing endplate.
I love to love Senna.

manchild

On first pic car is being pulled in the garage after running (used tyres) and since it was cold and I guess that this "smoke" is acualy the water condesated during runs evaporating trough the outlet above the diffuser since.

This is the pic of same event from different angle

As it can be seen there is no mechanic with fire extinguisher behind or near the car.

Second pic show car with fresh tyres mounted on, during pit stop practice.

Blown engine usualy blows water or oil (or both) in cylinder(s) and trough the exhaust pipe or directly trought the hole on block (if connecting rod breaks and makes hole on engine block).

ginsu

Yes, I didn't think it was a blown engine, but I also didn't think it could be steam, so I really wasn't sure. I am suprised that it vents back there, and there must be an aerodynamic reason for it.

Personally, I can see the diffuser air being pulled out by the hot air exhausting right above it, but I'm not sure if it's there because of that reason, or just because the hot air vents better in the low pressure region out the back. That is, without disturbing the rear wing.
I love to love Senna.

Spencifer_Murphy

Any body else notice that the R26 is sportiong a wider nose? Sorry if it's been mentioned b4...I have been away for a few days.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

johny

what happens to camera casing?

manchild

Could be some thermal cam recording situation at the rear end of the car.
Perhaps a mic pointed backwards to pick engine sound?

DaveKillens

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Any body else notice that the R26 is sportiong a wider nose? Sorry if it's been mentioned b4...I have been away for a few days.
Yes, I noticed that too, a nose much wider than the previous one which was more about penetraton than managing airflow over it. I compared noses from the previous year's car, and it appears that since the lines are relatively straight from nose to sidepods, the entire front chassis has been widened a bit. If so, that's pretty substantial. The distance between front upper arms may be further apart, the pushrods, as well as the driver's footwells.
The smoke coming from the rear? It appears to be a normal byproduct of coming to a stop. Those cars run very hot, and as soon as the airflow stops, they start to cook. I don't know the history of that car, but since the tires appear almost unblemished it is reasonable to assume the car went out for just one, two laps. If that happened, any oil residue or stuff that usually burns off after a few laps didn't have the chance, and are the source of the smoke.