Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

According to omnicorse.it, it took Mercedes 5 crashtests to get FIA approval.
http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/36859/ ... cedes-w-05

( Is used google translate to read that)
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Thunder

Just_a_fan wrote:Revised endplate. One slot instead of two and the single slot is different from the one it replaces.
It's the new (raced in Bahrain) Frontwing on the Top and the Old (Launch) Wing below. I don't see any further modifications of the Wing yet.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

zioture

Do you think the dummy Cameraa in the room are several new nose?

Jef Patat

zioture wrote:Do you think the dummy Cameraa in the room are several new nose?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5912_o.jpg
I'm not buying that comparison. The scales do not look the same, big difference in front wing flaps.

gray41

Very nice upgrade.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

gray41

Changed the shape of the antenna/measuring devise on the tub, not sure how that will look going through Nicos #6.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

De Jokke

Aren't you guys worried, with all the crash test issues and the hami shunt in Barcelona + this front wing seems so breakable!

I hope it doesn't come of :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Jef Patat

Man it almost looks like the FW is 'not' attached to the nose. Bearing in mind the amount of force generated by the FW that is just unbelievable. Just hope it stays attached and doesn't play the same tricks as their first front wing during winter testing. I also think it will be more vulnerable when the FW (slightly) touches another car.

Crucial_Xtreme

New barge boards

via Spontonc

Helios

De Jokke wrote:Aren't you guys worried, with all the crash test issues and the hami shunt in Barcelona + this front wing seems so breakable!

Do you really think Mercedes would put it on the car for a race weekend if it wasn't 100% save in this respect?

astracrazy

De Jokke wrote:Aren't you guys worried, with all the crash test issues and the hami shunt in Barcelona + this front wing seems so breakable!

no why would we be worried? It passed the test so its safe and i'm sure Merc would of learnt from the first test

if i'm concerned about anything it would be i hope it was worth all the effort, clearly a lot of time and resources have gone towards this update

Jef Patat

Helios wrote:

Do you really think Mercedes would put it on the car for a race weekend if it wasn't 100% save in this respect?
Do you really think any team puts anything on the car of which they expect it not to work? That doesn't mean it does work though. First there is testing, then there is racing and even then things brake apart.

I'm not really worried, but I am impressed/amazed.

lewishamilton90

Mercedes hat nicht umsonst so viel Arbeit in die Nase gesteckt. Der Vorteil ist signifikant. Teamchef Toto Wolff erklärt: "Das Auto wurde für die kurze Nase konzipiert. Wir sind bis jetzt also nur mit einer Notlösung gefahren."

De Jokke

Remember what Lowe said about the first nose guys: "we thought it was fabricated strong enough, apparently not, so we'll need to make changes" after Lewis was talking with the spanish marshalls after his test shunt.

I really hope you're right but it seems SOOOOO fragile.... (while the previous one didn't)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Jef Patat

lewishamilton90 wrote:Mercedes hat nicht umsonst so viel Arbeit in die Nase gesteckt. Der Vorteil ist signifikant. Teamchef Toto Wolff erklärt: "Das Auto wurde für die kurze Nase konzipiert. Wir sind bis jetzt also nur mit einer Notlösung gefahren."
In plain english: the car was designed around the short nose, the current one was an emergency solution.