Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Emerson.F wrote:
Trocola wrote:https://vine.co/v/M1ntHmEDtBj

¿any idea of what that green light is?
Never seen it before. Maybe an indicator when he's about to lock up?
isnt that illegal?
RicerDude wrote:

Could be a reflection from the roll hoop light.
probably right
or could be reflection from track side marshal flag light system

Can anyone tell me which lap is that from?? and which session? coz i can look up in my DVR

Gaz.

In this radio transcript he mentions a blue light for his brakes on lap 23, Bonnington replies that the brakes are getting cold going into T14:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/23/2 ... ranscript/

Could the light colour appear bluish through his visor?
Forza Jules

l4mbch0ps

Combination of factors of course, but the major points are likely:

- higher rear downforce
- superior heat management vis a vis brakes and wheels
- better understanding of the compound characteristics
- better traction management
- differences in the compound itself from last year

Powershift

l4mbch0ps wrote:Combination of factors of course, but the major points are likely:

- higher rear downforce
No way there is more rear downforce than last year, but the new compounds are probably helping a lot. I think they also moved a lot of weight forwards this year for a more forward weight distribution than last year. Plus the cars probably weigh less on the starting grid this year than last.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Akodo

Emerson.F wrote:

Never seen it before. Maybe an indicator when he's about to lock up?
It's a video compression artifact. If you pause the video and zoom in you can see that the green area is perfectly square.

siskue2005

Gaz. wrote:

In this radio transcript he mentions a blue light for his brakes on lap 23, Bonnington replies that the brakes are getting cold going into T14:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/04/23/2 ... ranscript/

Could the light colour appear bluish through his visor?
he was talking about the dash display

diego.liv

Any suggestion about the replacement of the tower sensor, now on the driver's number? Would their readings be a little different?

beelsebob

Powershift wrote:
l4mbch0ps wrote:Combination of factors of course, but the major points are likely:

- higher rear downforce
No way there is more rear downforce than last year, but the new compounds are probably helping a lot. I think they also moved a lot of weight forwards this year for a more forward weight distribution than last year. Plus the cars probably weigh less on the starting grid this year than last.
The car doesn't need to have more than last year, just proportionally more than last year relative to the other cars on the grid.

Powershift

beelsebob wrote:
Powershift wrote:

- higher rear downforce
The car doesn't need to have more than last year, just proportionally more than last year relative to the other cars on the grid.
We are comparing the rear tire wear rates from last year to this year, so it has very little to do with
"proportionally more than last year relative to the other cars on the grid."
but since Bahrain was switched from day to night this year, and China is front limited, we only have AUS and MAL to go by. In Spain last year the Mercs destroyed their rear tires mercilessly, we will see how they cope this year, but I can easily surmise that they have less rear downforce(and overall downforce) than last year, and that would not be one of the reasons why they have better rear tire wear this year.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

beelsebob

Powershift wrote:We are comparing the rear tire wear rates from last year to this year, so it has very little to do with
"proportionally more than last year relative to the other cars on the grid."
That's an impossible comparison to make. The tyres this year are very different to the tyres last year.

The only comparison you can make is the tyre wear compared to other cars on the grid. They have less tyre wear this year than other teams on the grid. Last year they had more tyre wear relative to other teams on the grid. It may well be that this years car would wear last year's tyres much much faster than last year's car, but that other teams' cars would wear them even faster still.

Shakeman

Powershift wrote:
but since Bahrain was switched from day to night this year, and China is front limited, we only have AUS and MAL to go by. In Spain last year the Mercs destroyed their rear tires mercilessly, we will see how they cope this year, but I can easily surmise that they have less rear downforce(and overall downforce) than last year, and that would not be one of the reasons why they have better rear tire wear this year.
I'm pretty sure engine maps played a great part in the demise of their tyres last year and it was the one thing they couldn't change.

I believe it had to do with the formation of standing waves in the tyres that contributed to the over heating. Quite how the engine maps helped that I don't know. Would love an explanation.

MercedesAMGSpy

Don't forget the new Pirelli tyres compared with the 2013 ones. At least they don't explode anymore.

mbchc

Granted, Mercedes did a great job managing tires. However, from the team radio script, w05 seems to have understeer. Yet, we need to sit and watch, wait for them to improve.
When the season goes on, the will gather more and more data on the car and improvement will come out.
Mercedes AMG Petronas
AMG|||

OO7
OO7

mbchc wrote:Granted, Mercedes did a great job managing tires. However, from the team radio script, w05 seems to have understeer. Yet, we need to sit and watch, wait for them to improve.
When the season goes on, the will gather more and more data on the car and improvement will come out.
The understeer was probably because China is a front limited circuit. Also it was mentioned to both drivers by their respective engineers that rubber build-up in the front wing slots was contributing to the under steer.

OO7
OO7

Multi21 wrote:
mbchc wrote:Granted, Mercedes did a great job managing tires. However, from the team radio script, w05 seems to have understeer. Yet, we need to sit and watch, wait for them to improve.
I think the biggest hurdle they had to overcome was introducing that new front wing and that's now been done. And I think all the updates that they had planned starting in Aus that were delayed by not passing the crash test will slowly start to pop out. But I doubt they'll need to rush them out due to how much they have in Han on the competition.
Just a slight correction Multi21, the front wing hasn't been an issue, it was the nose that required multiple redesigns and attempts in order for it to pass the crash test.