whats wrong with the renault engines?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: whats wrong with the renault engines?

so rumor was true, Renault / RedBull wanting to postpone 1. Jerez test becuase of engine problems... boom.
Shi*t, maybe MAL should have stayed with Willimas ... #-o (also Willimas car looks good and running goodalso it seems, but as usaul too early...)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ChrisF1

So my understanding of the press conference is that Renault said there is a fundamental problem, and that Red Bulls problem is separate and of their own doing (cooling isn't good enough)

Edit: the problem should be fixed by tomorrow, pretty important point that I didn't add..

NTS
NTS

ChrisF1 wrote:(cooling isn't good enough)
If cooling is already not good enough with a tuned down engine in a very cold climate I'm getting a little afraid of what will happen when they will actually race.

copperkipper1

" Renault said there is a fundamental problem"
"Should be fixed tomorrow"

So they are having some intermittent problems... nothing surprising here folks.

flynfrog

dans79 wrote:
flynfrog wrote:
dans79 wrote:bad cranks? How do you mess up an entire batch of crank shafts? for what these engines cost they should have 10 levels of quality control to make sure that doesn't happen.
10 levels of QA wont fix an incorrect heat treat on a drawing or a missed tolerance

It happens this is the first time these engines have been run outside of the dyno the sky probably inst falling yet.
what are they saying was wrong with the heat treatment specifically? Testing that a part has reached the proper hardness for example is a trivial task. I know people who have the tool needed for it in their home workshops.
it was just an example I have no idea what is wrong. My point one no matter how many quality steps you have it wont fix something missed in the design

Ferraripilot

Is EN40 or 4340 more common for F1 cranks these days?

Pup
Pup

They are fessing up to the ERS issue, but no mention of the crankshaft problem, which remains rumor. And yes, Red Bull's cooling issues are their own problem, and not really unexpected either.

TJ13, who broke the crankshaft story, claim that because of it, Renault has limited the teams to 250km per engine, or about 56 laps at Jerez. No mention of rev limits.
"We know on our side we have one problem that we have clearly identified and we want to fix it," explained Taffin. "We could not fix it for this morning, so we decided to do as much as we could on our side to make sure that, for tomorrow, and especially for Red Bull and Toro Rosso, that we are sure we can take to the track at 9 a.m. We are confident that tomorrow morning we will have all three cars on track."

Taffin declined to elaborate on the specifics of the problem with the energy stores, but suggested it was the way that the batteries were interacting with the rest of the power unit that was causing troubles.

"You have to bear in mind that a power unit is made up of a lot of sub components, and it is not a matter of one of them not working," he said. "It is clearly a problem of integration of all these systems.

"In particular, for this problem, we had to fix the problem through the energy store, but I am not going to go into detail due to the nature of the architecture of our system. We have clearly identified something that we would have to change.

"We have the parts, we have the people here, we have the means to do this, and we were prepared to do this. We did not want to do this when we came here, but that is what has happened and we are doing it."

Taffin added that the smoking issues spotted at Red Bull did not relate to the energy store problems.

dans79

flynfrog wrote: it was just an example I have no idea what is wrong. My point one no matter how many quality steps you have it wont fix something missed in the design
Ok, but one would hope fundamental design flaws would have been worked out on the dyno.

update: they say its the batteries
197 104 103 7

ecapox

Ouch. This does not bode well for Renault powered cars. So Renault have a problem with the batteries in general, but Redbull have that problem as well as some other gremlin?

mkable1370

OK, so maybe this is an extremely far-fetched idea, based on the latest info I''ve read today by Renault as to what's been plaguing the Renault-powered teams thus far at Jerez. What if Renault knowingly supplied defective battery/electronics to their teams with the knowledge that it would more-or-less prevent their cars from running successfully at Jerez, and with the end-goal of using this to pressure the FIA into engine/development concessions or a separate free test session of some sort only for the Renault powered cars? #-o

Ok, so its a crazy conspiracy theory. I know. I'll be quiet now.

NTS
NTS

That would be a very dangerous gamble, because the FIA might just as well decide not to let them have that extra session.

dans79

mkable1370 wrote:OK, so maybe this is an extremely far-fetched idea, based on the latest info I''ve read today by Renault as to what's been plaguing the Renault-powered teams thus far at Jerez. What if Renault knowingly supplied defective battery/electronics to their teams with the knowledge that it would more-or-less prevent their cars from running successfully at Jerez, and with the end-goal of using this to pressure the FIA into engine/development concessions or a separate free test session of some sort only for the Renault powered cars? #-o

Ok, so its a crazy conspiracy theory. I know. I'll be quiet now.
anything is possible when it comes to the French FIA & and a French company. :twisted:
197 104 103 7

Skippon

It was KERS that was the weak part of Red Bulls package 2011 to 2013 so I'm not surprised the larger ERS package is any different. In contrast Merc made theirs in house has been considered to be the most reliable!!
:D

motobaleno

Skippon wrote:It was KERS that was the weak part of Red Bulls package 2011 to 2013 so I'm not surprised the larger ERS package is any different. In contrast Merc made theirs in house has been considered to be the most reliable!!
:D

according to what Autosprint says, the problem would be connected with the battery pack and it originates just because renault is the only one to produce the battery pack in house (actually I found that strange myself...but that's what autosprint said)

Shakeman

Apparently it is a problem with the accumulation of energy so either the ERS is not recovering it or they're not able to store it.