Caption Competition

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild

wrk wrote:so where do you put the batteries???
No batteries, Schuey fans have to blow to inflate him :lol:

(don't ask me where the valve is located) :mrgreen:

Ciro Pabón

Look what I got with my time machine....

F1 Technical, May 4, 2020

2021 "green specifications" prototype at Williams's new racetrack.

Today, Williams proudly presented its new racetrack and its car for next year's season.

Note that the asphalt surface at Williams new racetrack is almost indistinguishable from the gravel trap surface (in the background). What actually seems to be a gravel surface is the new regenerative pit stop area, now mandatory at every track. Crash barriers are cleverly disguised as bushes.

The car uses a 1 cylinder, 20 cc, 215.000 rpm engine, rated at 1750 hp. The new V-configuration, with cylinders at a 360 degrees angle, as well as the 6 and a half-keel configuration has brought some theething problems. Williams has been putting pressure on the suspension and body teams to compensate for the underpowered Yugo engines contracted last year.

Frank Williams failure to renovate the contract with Dacia's racing subsidiary was blamed by Marius Thiesenovna, who tried to renegotiate the contract, on Mr. Williams own failure to produce a race-worthy car. He explicitly denied that he had interest on directing the new Dacia's Racing Team, saying "we learned nothing from this guy".

Notice also the blue bucket in the foreground that holds the team's entire year fuel supply. The "Bridgeline" tires you see are the ones they have been using since June, 2019, following the new rules.

Sir Frank hopes to clone and grow two more cars in his bio-lab factory, with little modifications to the monocoque basic DNA design, before December: that is, in time for the critical 2-hour testing period allowed this season. He has great expectations about the recent CRAP (Computer and Robot Aided Physiology) package they are starting to use for the aero desing.

Still fit in the pit

This year, Nelson Piquet IV, Santiago Montoya, the imperturbable Rikki Makkinen, also known affectionately as the "Liquid Nitrogen" man, and the unfatigable Michael Schumacher are the main contendors... It is rumored that Schuey could renegotiate his 12 years contract with the Ferrari-Honda team, previously known as Ferrari-Hyunday, in January, 2021. Schumacher recently broke the record of "most pit stops in reverse during monsoon season".

Michael waved away questions over the italian Giorgio Velocetti, (the qualifying one-lap master) replacing his present partner, the 86 years old Mary Wittingham, housewife from Lancaster, England, citing that "it would be a shock for Ferrari fans to have an italian driver: they are simply not used to it. Russ agrees with me.". Miss Withingham is under intense pressure from british tabloids to qualify for a race under the 140% limit time en vogue before her 200th GP.

Makkinen machinations

Makkinen is falling behind in the championship, after blowing 16 engines in the first three races, failures which he atributed to poor design. Dennis stayed behind Rikki, citing how Montoya has the same lap times of the finn, even if Santiago's pedal-powered car is a little behind in development. Makkinen stated: "I have learnt a lot from Michael". Here you can see the young prodigy at the press conference:

New track on the rack

The new F1 adapted kart circuit of Exterior Baclavia has been redesigned by Hermann Tilke. Some kerbs have been added inside the chicane they put last year right inside the old chicane, which now qualifies as a 15 radius curve. The lonely voice of Jacques Villeneuve, always a rebel without a cause, complaining about the stress the kerbs put on the pilots were dismissed, as the new 850 degrees hairpin should give more overpassing opportunities, as well as the 14 G's capable driver-suits. Mr. Tilke seem to be right, as this year's record of 2 overtakes during the season overwhelms last year record of 1 overtake, warmly remembered and scrupulously analyzed by the fans for the entire year.

The redesign was widely discussed in our forums, where there was an agreement on qualifing Jacques as a "girly-wussie, four-eyes, mommy boy" and dismissing the incomprehensible observations of some ranting members, complaining of the 230 euros spent on the track versus the 4'300.000 euros spent on the paddock spresso machine.

New servers for F1Technical

Following complaints from some forum members (Jason) on the 12.000 icons per message limit of our web hosting, and other complaints from other members (Jason) that after staying in line over 72 hours he was logged out of the forum (he, he. He never saw the hacking coming!), Tomba finally decided to improve the forum servers capacity. Here we see a photo of the server happily humming along while absorbing a 200.000 words post by Ciro "I do not know when to shut up" Pabón and a 300.000 word post by Dave "Big picture" Killens. Notice the "hot" mouse and the upper-left "Enter key". This server "array" has a combined capacity well over 7 kb/hour.

Other news

In other news, F1Technical fans finally signed the "Development Car Concorde Agreement". Manchild posts a legendary 6 pages post on why this is seen by some as an illegal move by Ferrrari representatives... Montezemolo surrenders and finally confess, weeping that he is the Antichrist. :D
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 05 May 2006, 15:07, edited 20 times in total.
Ciro

Sawtooth-spike

Classic,

That Really made me smile. Dude you have a Sick mind to think up all that stuff.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Ciro Pabón

Sorry, no offense intended to anyone, this thread has become sort of a lighter side of F1, I guess. It sort of "grew out of itself", after seeing the Williams "bush car". Anyway, I hope they don't throw me away from this forum... I edited it umpteen times to take away the crazy parts, I swear. Please, be gentle ... O:)
Ciro

NickT

Well Ciro Pabón there is only one word to describe your 2020 article.....

....... EXCELLENT :D
NickT

manchild

hehehe.. very nice :lol:

wrk

what is wrong with this sentence????

The car uses a 1 cylinder, 20 cc, 215.000 rpm engine, rated at 1750 hp. The new V-configuration, with cylinders at a 360 degrees angle,

hate to be picky.....lol
gentlemen start your engines......

kkobayash

what is wrong with this sentence????

The car uses a 1 cylinder, 20 cc, 215.000 rpm engine, rated at 1750 hp. The new V-configuration, with cylinders at a 360 degrees angle,

hate to be picky.....lol
lol everything....how can you have 1 cylinder in any sort of (V???) configuration, and then which has 360 degree angle :? ( :lol: )

Ciro, one of the funniest things i have read tho, well done.

Sawtooth-spike

clearly, it becasue is half a Cylinder :)

Shaped like a D

:wink:
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Ciro Pabón

Sorry, wrk, kkobayash and sawtooth-spike, I should have posted the entire quotation:

"The new V-configuration, with cylinders at a 360 degrees angle, as well as the 6 and a half-keel configuration has brought some teething problems...."

"... thank God this implied 1000 hp less than last year, when the last driving-aids, hated by the fans, like steering wheel, brakes and seat were finally removed. Unfortunately, even after the severe restrictions that prohibit valves, injection and exhaust, this new rotating cylinder configuration (known as "Wanker" engine), seems to be able to recover those 1000 hp in the next few weeks of redesign. This has been like a current of fresh air for CFD designers (no pun intended): last year they were confined basically to find new liveries for helmets. Now, Huey, Louey and Newey have said that they have hopes of keeping steady the current 3.4 average drag coefficient, while searching for maximum downforce, through the use of the new wing design, known as 'The Mack truck window-pane'."

"This will make next race at Silverstone, where last year 3/4 parts of the circuit were removed for more parking space, a more entertaining race, as the 11 meter radius curves demand 15 G's from the pilots when they try to take them at almost 90 kph."

Thanks to Manchild for this link, which he obtained searching in the Romulan sector of the Internet, approximately 22 seconds after my post.

I sincerely hope this clarify this nasty bussiness. Please, feel free to correct my original post, as I have already edited it 20 times.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 05 May 2006, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Sawtooth-spike

i really like the half cylinder idea :(

Ciro Pabón

Half cylinders were banned in 2016, if you remember well.

The idea of the magnetically controled piston took time to engineer. To overpass the 30.000 rpm engineers were forced to, basically, dispose a huge poloidal field around the block that virtually suspended pistons in the air, getting rid of crankshafts and rods.

The movements of the pistons, wich are made of a magnetic material, take the place of the rotor of a conventional electric engine. The stator is the field around the block. The movements of the pistons generate huge currents in the field that in turn move the windings around the wheels directly, without intervening axles. The trick is to use the stator field to contain the plasma fuel, creating in effect magnetic combustion chambers around the "heads" of pistons.

The pistons follow complicated trajectories in the magnetic field that are similar to the stable trajectories of electrons around the nucleus. Several trajectories have been tried, until almost all teams agreed on a figure-8 trajectory of pistons. This is what is called a 360 degrees configuration, wich some members naively thought impossible. :D

The main advantage of this configuration is that you get TWO combustion points for each "up and down" cycle of the piston. In essence every time the piston moves up and down its head is reversed for a new compression. This is what I modestly call the Pabón half-cycle engine that propelled Williams to the 2015 championship. This idea, which now seems ridiculously basic, was unheard of as recently as 2006. At this time the quaint Otto cycle was universal.

When the computer is not able to figure out the correct configuration for containement of fuel because of extremely high rpm, the entire assembly fuses in a spectacular way, leaving sometimes a small crater in the track. This happens because the fuel is converted to hot plasma before being injected in the engine core to interact with the pistons. Everybody knows what happens when you join plasma and asphalt. One of the less wished professions in F1 nowadays is rear tyre mechanic, as you are centimeters away of a plume of hot plasma coming out of the engine.

Half cylinders, which I think are a really good idea... :wink: were used until 2016 in an attempt to reach over 180.000 rpm. The idea was to join the half cylinders in the air right at the exact moment of compresion. This halved the mass that the computer had to control and made inertia one eight of the original complete cylinder. After several major blowups when some defective half-cylinders collided, they were banned.
Ciro

Sawtooth-spike

Good point, The poor souls who were lost in the Half cylinder era, how they will be missed.

kkobayash

The pistons follow complicated trajectories in the magnetic field that are similar to the stable trajectories of electrons around the nucleus. Several trajectories have been tried, until almost all teams agreed on a figure-8 trajectory of pistons. This is what is called a 360 degrees configuration, wich some members naively thought impossible.
Wow!! thats crazy. Im sorry i ever doubted you Ciro. :wink:

manchild

Ciro, those roads you design must be twisted for sure :lol: