bhall II wrote:From 2014 to 2015, as written in the regulations, 8% of the PU will be frozen (cylinder bore spacing, deck height, bank stagger, crank throw, main bearing journal diameter, rod bearing journal diameter, pneumatic valvetrain compressor/pressure regulation devices), and half of the remaining 92% can be modified, or 48% of the total PU. From 2015 to 2016, 23% of the PU will be frozen (everything listed above and a shitload of other stuff), and half of the remaining 77% can be modified: or 38% of the total PU.
My question is this: will Honda be obliged to follow the update schedule exactly as written, which ties updates to calendar years, or will their delayed entry be taken into account? In other words, will they be forced to bypass the initial 48% update entirely, because the 2016 rules only allow for a 38% update, or will they be allowed to make a 48% update on account of it being their first update?
It's a convoluted question; I hope it makes sense.
Since it's such a good question, I've written the DMSB (German Motor Sport Club) for an explanation, since the FiA doesn't answer technical questions themselves - I now feel more confident that we'll get a correct answer
Edit: in the meantime I reread the Sporting regulations for 2015, and found this:
POWER UNIT HOMOLOGATION
1. An homologated power unit must include all the parts described as “INC” in the “App. 4 Sporting regs.” column of Appendix 2 of the F1 Technical Regulations.
Other than any parts solely associated with power unit installation in different types of car (which have no performance benefit and which may be changed from time to time during the homologation period with the consent of the FIA), any such power unit is one which is identical in every respect to either :
a) A power unit delivered to the FIA no later than 28 February 2014.
b) A power unit delivered to the FIA after 28 February 2014 which has been modified in accordance with the Annual F1 Power Unit Homologation table in Appendix 4 to the F1 Technical Regulations.
Once homologated in accordance with a) or b) above, and except as permitted by (c) below, no changes may be made to the design or construction of the homologated parts for the duration of the homologation period laid out in Article 28.5 of the F1 Sporting Regulations.
c) A power unit delivered to the FIA after 28 February 2014
, or modified and re-delivered to the FIA after that date, which the FIA is satisfied, in its absolute discretion and after full consultation with all other suppliers of power units for the Championship, could fairly and equitably be allowed to compete with other homologated power units.
Such changes will normally only be accepted if they are being proposed for reliability, safety or cost-saving reasons. Any manufacturer wishing to make a change for any of the above reasons must apply in writing to the FIA Technical Department and provide all necessary information including where appropriate, clear evidence of failures. The FIA will study such requests and, if they agree that the changes should be permitted, will circulate the correspondence to all manufacturers for comment. If the FIA receive no comments which cast doubt on their original decision about the proposed modification(s) they will confirm to the manufacturer concerned that they may be carried out.
All such power units should be delivered in such a condition that the seals required under Article 28.4 can be fitted. Power units will be held by the FIA throughout the homologation period."
c) would be Honda, and therefore they will have to follow the update schedule just like all the others. They will have had to nail the design, or hope that their mistakes lead to failures to be able to make updates.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail