Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive

Re: Honda Power Unit

bhall II wrote: ...
...especially if they're benchmarking their engine to what will be an obsolete design next year.
I'm not so sure, with the fuel flow limit and the 160 Hp MGU-K, there is a cap on how far you can develop these PUs,
the ERS systems are limited to deliver those 160 Hp anywhere around the track, while the ICE can only be improved
in power by increasing its efficiency, which is very likely to be marginal.

I suspect that Mercedes is well aware of this, that they are already maxed out, why they are so against an unfreeze.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wuzak

xpensive wrote:
bhall II wrote: ...
...especially if they're benchmarking their engine to what will be an obsolete design next year.
I'm not so sure, with the fuel flow limit and the 160 Hp MGU-K, there is a cap on how far you can develop these PUs,
the ERS systems are limited to deliver those 160 Hp anywhere around the track, while the ICE can only be improved
in power by increasing its efficiency, which is very likely to be marginal.

I suspect that Mercedes is well aware of this, that they are already maxed out, why they are so against an unfreeze.
Rumours are that the Mercedes will get an approximate 10% power increase next year....

xpensive

wuzak wrote: ...
Rumours are that the Mercedes will get an approximate 10% power increase next year....
So, what are they afraid of with an unfreeze?

wuzak

xpensive wrote:
One of life's mysteries....

Perhaps they think Renault or Ferrari, or both, would be able to catch up some time before 2020.

prince

wuzak wrote:
xpensive wrote:
One of life's mysteries....

Perhaps they think Renault or Ferrari, or both, would be able to catch up some time before 2020.
:lol:

Seriously speaking, may be they feel the world around them was very in-sensitive last few years, not to allow in-season testing of tyres? Despite having a good car, their biggest pain in the arse was tyres. So, how would they be sensitive now to anyone else. Rules applied then and rules apply now. As Toto put, "We are suddenly bad guys now, because we adhere to rules".

Holm86

Sevach

wuzak wrote:
That would mean 80 horses, my first thought is "no way".

Where did you read that?

wuzak

Sevach wrote:
wuzak wrote:
That would mean 80 horses, my first thought is "no way".

Where did you read that?
I think I heard it on the Australian TV telecast of the Japanese GP.

gruntguru

xpensive wrote:
wuzak wrote:...
If they are confident of that 10% - without an unfreeze - erhaps they don't think they will gain much beyond the 10% if there was an unfreeze.

Worse still they are no doubt aware of what is responsible for their huge advantage and whether the other teams can implement the necessary changes to catch up - without an unfreeze.
je suis charlie

xpensive

So with the ERS limited to 160 Hp, the 10% increase of the PU must come from the ICE, right?

This means the ICE going from typically 600 Hp to 680, yeah right, how would that happen?

Fact of the matter is that MHPE has already maxed out, why they don't want no competition.

Holm86

xpensive wrote:So with the ERS limited to 160 Hp, the 10% increase of the PU must come from the ICE, right?

This means the ICE going from typically 600 Hp to 680, yeah right, how would that happen?

Fact of the matter is that MHPE has already maxed out, why they don't want no competition.
That would be from 600 to 660 hp.

And I don't believe the merc engine is maxed out, that would be a real achivement to max out an engine in your first try.
All PU manufacturers will have learned a lot over this season. Mercedes probably wont make as large gains as the others as their unit was very good from the start.
I wonder how many chooses to implement the variable inlet trompets in their 2015 engines.

xpensive

10% of the PU, all gained from the ICE, now how much is that homie?

Holm86

xpensive wrote:10% of the PU, all gained from the ICE, now how much is that homie?
It must be a 10% gain on the ICE. Not at 10% gain of total PU. Doesn't make sense to take the ERS into the calcutation as that is fixed at 120 kw, so no gain is possible there.

xpensive

10% from the ICE with a fixed fuel flow, like increasing efficiency from 36 to 40%, I doubt it homie?

Holm86

xpensive wrote:10% from the ICE with a fixed fuel flow, like increasing efficiency from 36 to 40%, I doubt it homie?
I know, and I doubt the 10% figure my self. I dont believe that Mercedes will have a 10% power increase next year.