Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

MarcJ wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 15:57
godlameroso wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 04:16
MarcJ wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 16:08

KSPG are supplying steel pistons to a OEM for a V6 petrol engine. Now could that be Project One.

There's plenty of published papers on steel piston for gasoline engines published by Ferrari University di Modena. Saverio Barbieri.

Doesn't matter if your combustion of MiLD ultra lean low temperature combustion is in a reciprocating engine or rapid compression machine it's still low temperature below 2000 Kelvin at peak thermal efficiency.
So heat issues of stoichiometry not relevant here.

Ferrari said they used 3D printed steel pistons at Phillip Island in 2017.
Peak gas temperature is >2,600K though.
Peak gas temperature is ~1800K at peak thermal efficiency, this is in many optical and laser imaging diagnosis.
I was under the impression these engines produced a fair bit of NOx which would be hard to do at such low temps.

Or am I confusing gas with flame temperature?
Saishū kōnā

trinidefender
trinidefender

godlameroso wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 17:47
MarcJ wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Peak gas temperature is ~1800K at peak thermal efficiency, this is in many optical and laser imaging diagnosis.
I was under the impression these engines produced a fair bit of NOx which would be hard to do at such low temps.

I don't think that it was ever explicitly stated that it was NOx that these PU's produce high levels of. It was just stated that the exhaust emissions weren't environmentally friendly or healthy to those around it.

If I had to guess, it would be fuel additives that would be the major cause of any harmful emissions.

If high levels of NOx are also present then I would imagine that they would be formed from the very high temperature flame jets.

Gas turbines suffer from that problem (where a lot of the development money is going to reduce NOx outputs on commercial turbofans). Even though the overall air:fuel ratio is very high, the combustion event itself is limited to a very small area where the mixture is much closer to stoichiometric. Ergo high combustion temperatures and high levels of NOx.

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
MarcJ wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

2,600K is the adiabatic flame temperature.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 20:23

I don't think that it was ever explicitly stated that it was NOx that these PU's produce high levels of. It was just stated that the exhaust emissions weren't environmentally friendly or healthy to those around it.

If I had to guess, it would be fuel additives that would be the major cause of any harmful emissions.

If high levels of NOx are also present then I would imagine that they would be formed from the very high temperature flame jets.

Gas turbines suffer from that problem (where a lot of the development money is going to reduce NOx outputs on commercial turbofans). Even though the overall air:fuel ratio is very high, the combustion event itself is limited to a very small area where the mixture is much closer to stoichiometric. Ergo high combustion temperatures and high levels of NOx.
Yeah the SAE papers showed high levels of NOx.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

trinidefender
trinidefender

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 00:38
trinidefender wrote:

Oh well evidently I'm a muppet and missed those papers #-o . Do you mind posting them or sending them via PM?

If that's the case then I would have to say it would have to do with high flame fronts on the jets.

gruntguru
gruntguru

The papers I've read on TJI mostly show very low engine-out NOx at the typically lean mixtures.
je suis charlie

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

"It's turbulent jet ignition - TJI. Used by all F1 engines" when I as much as made a statement like that I was asked to sustain/proof what I am saying,

MarcJ
MarcJ

godlameroso wrote:
MarcJ wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

At 1800K there's no NOx as it's formation temperature is above this. Only NOx is from prechamber combustion.
Peak thermal efficiency @ lambda 1.85 in tested engines and the RCM rigs rapid cumbustion machines.
F1 run high pressure like the RCM.

henry

MarcJ wrote:
26 Dec 2018, 17:23
henry wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 10:14
gruntguru wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 00:31

.... TJI is very different to CVCC. Pre-chamber volume is much smaller.
I feel we ought to be able to calculate the volume. Mahle say their TJI pre-chamber use 2-3% of the fuel consumed. If I assume the AFR in the pre-chamber is 12:1 and in the main chamber 20:1 I get a volume of 4 to 5cc. That doesn’t include the volume of the fuel which may add a little.
Prechamber is nominally 1-2cc for automotive sized cylinders. Prechamber volume had me uncertain for a long while.
Thanks for that. If those volumes and Mahle’s claimed fuel percentage are combined that suggests quite a low AFR. Very rich. Maybe they need a rich mixture to generate enough active ingredients for the jets.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

godlameroso

henry wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 14:10
MarcJ wrote:
henry wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 10:14

I feel we ought to be able to calculate the volume. Mahle say their TJI pre-chamber use 2-3% of the fuel consumed. If I assume the AFR in the pre-chamber is 12:1 and in the main chamber 20:1 I get a volume of 4 to 5cc. That doesn’t include the volume of the fuel which may add a little.
Prechamber is nominally 1-2cc for automotive sized cylinders. Prechamber volume had me uncertain for a long while.
Thanks for that. If those volumes and Mahle’s claimed fuel percentage are combined that suggests quite a low AFR. Very rich. Maybe they need a rich mixture to generate enough active ingredients for the jets.
The radical chain reaction is the key to modeling the combustion process in these engines. There is something like 20,000 chemical reactions that happen in a few nano seconds after the spark plug fires that basically determine everything afterwards. Modeling this accurately has been key to development and why Mercedes doesn't believe the limits of this formula have been reached.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

trinidefender wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 07:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Oh well evidently I'm a muppet and missed those papers #-o . Do you mind posting them or sending them via PM?

If that's the case then I would have to say it would have to do with high flame fronts on the jets.
My memory actually was a little faded when I typed that! I have the papers on my computer... but anyway I know the F1 engines exhaust high NOx. If you are reading it now, the NOx from combustion in the SAE paper is about the same trend as regular spark ignition as lambda increases. The ignition type doesn't really matter much actually, as the peak NOx is near 15:1 AFR and falls off similarly for both types. So yeah this argument is moot anyway.

However I must mention that the part of the catalytic converter that reduces NOx to N2 and O2 only work well in reducing conditions (low oxygen). The ultra lean burn mode in F1, whether you want to use TJI or whatever technology, I assume, produces O2 levels that the NOx reduction part of the typical catalytic converter wont be effective at. Advanced converting technology is required. Lean NOx Catalyst (LNC), Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) and the Lean NOx Trap (LNT) are solutions being developed.

gruntguru wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 10:19
The papers I've read on TJI mostly show very low engine-out NOx at the typically lean mixtures.
Yes. For both types.. there are some other lean burn engines that achieve 1.5 lambda without TJI (but only at low rpm low load).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MarcJ
MarcJ

PlatinumZealot wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

While some of us recognise someone being funny, many won't so please use facts.

With ultra lean NOx emissions drop by 99.75% down to 2 or 3 parts per million.

MarcJ
MarcJ

godlameroso wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 16:26
henry wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 14:10
MarcJ wrote:

The radical chain reaction is the key to modeling the combustion process in these engines. There is something like 20,000 chemical reactions that happen in a few nano seconds after the spark plug fires that basically determine everything afterwards. Modeling this accurately has been key to development and why Mercedes doesn't believe the limits of this formula have been reached.
The rate coefficients of intermediate reactions are not known for all species and only to a few digits accuracy. Mostly it's guessed at, cuz they needed a number, and they get it wrong and they calculate off each other.

The active thermodynamics rate coefficients effort is trying to minimise the lack of accuracy. ATCC site.
Rates are much slower in the microseconds range, temperature effects rate and negative temperature coefficient reverses this behavior, reducing the species number modeled down to a few dozen is essential for compute power available even using 1.25 million cores.
SpaceX have at least moved this to GPU architecture where you have 4,000 high performance cores per chip. They perform simulations in a weekend more accurately than a million dollar server farm does in weeks on their standard engineering workstation.
Last edited by MarcJ on 29 Dec 2018, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

subcritical71

MarcJ wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 06:47
2 to 3 ppm. :shock: I would have never guessed a race engine would ever approach that level.

MarcJ
MarcJ

subcritical71 wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 07:23
MarcJ wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 06:47
2 to 3 ppm. :shock: I would have never guessed a race engine would ever approach that level.
RCM where piston rapidly compresses and holds compression for optical high speed imaging gives researchers good data.
TJI relieves engines of stoichiometry limited combustion and their issues. Be good if li-ion cells had a similar major improvement their want to be a solid fuel bomb.