Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
McMika98

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

GhostF1 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:32

Ok, question for you. Do you think race pace is solely engine based? I really hope you don't believe that...
Its a difference maker. Merc and Ferrari are faster in race today which means RedBull have gone back massively. At least 50% of that is down to the fresh engine.

Capharol

GhostF1 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:32
McMika98 wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 15:23
So question for you
Did the race pace of Honda cars meet, exceed or fall below your expectations? 3 cars were on new tyres and got safety car assist.
They stockpiles extra engines for 5 races so they can go max power. Where was it in the race?
Ok, question for you. Do you think race pace is solely engine based? I really hope you don't believe that...
Looking at onboards, RBR had zero loss on the straights to Mercedes, only to Ferrari. Mercedes had the better car in the twistys this weekend than both RBR and Ferrari. Considering we started 9th and from the pitlane, 4th and 5th was the maximum result without a severe issue hitting either Merc or Ferrari.

The stockpile was not for 5 races. I think this was explained to you before as well. Please read slow and tell me if you have gotten confused..
Alex and Pierre. New engine was brought in Spa. Which means it would have to survive 9 GP's... That will not happen. Not one manufacturer has demonstrated reliability at that level, let alone while running it at a competitive setting. Max and Kvyat took the engine in Monza. So would need to last 8 GP's, again that's pushing it. These are only designed to make 7 GP's at best. And by the looks, it doesn't look like Merc works or Ferrari works will be able to do it either, they certainly haven't elsewhere, their customer engines have well surpassed only using 3.. We'll have to wait and see if the works outfits can do that, but based on Seb's failure, probably not

Another thought. If you were RBR that is safely 3rd and not in contention for 2nd, would you sacrifice potential 10-20 points for a fresher engine?
I know I would..
@GhostF1 just give it up, this guy is only here to troll around and has no interest in taking your view or any others view in this topic anyway
which you are right with anyway

godlameroso

Let's see how things wind up after the fuel is introduced.
Saishū kōnā

McMika98

godlameroso wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 18:24
Let's see how things wind up after the fuel is introduced.
You said fuel was in Singapore who is feeding you these false information. After today you still think the combustion concept is amazing? Fresh new engines and still nowhere. Even Toro Rosso failed to get anywhere near the midfield just ahead of the Alfas.

subcritical71

This isn’t the race thread...

63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:00
They brought the fuel it works. Ferrari just had too much pace this round. On to Sochi, I think RBR will be much better there as the downforce requirements are right in the car's window. Mostly mid speed corners in sector 1 & 2 which is where they are fastest of all.
So did they or did they not bring the fuel lol ?

godlameroso

Mudflap wrote:
29 Sep 2019, 22:56
godlameroso wrote:
They brought the fuel it works. Ferrari just had too much pace this round. On to Sochi, I think RBR will be much better there as the downforce requirements are right in the car's window. Mostly mid speed corners in sector 1 & 2 which is where they are fastest of all.
Yes they did. We'll see next round.
Saishū kōnā

63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 01:05
Mudflap wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
You said the new fuel worked fine in Singapore then you said there is new fuel in Japan?

What exactly are you proposing we are going to see? Green flames shooting out of the exhaust? RB matching Ferrari's straight line performance?

Then there is the mystery Honda secret device that would take a year for others to match? Come on..

Sieper

there is no secret device. He talked about a combustion concept. Combustion takes places in the cylinder. So the "secret" of the concept is the ICE itself. All engine manufacturers have this secret device (an ice and their own thoughs, analysis and results of the combustion cycle).

Wouter

Post deleted.
Last edited by Wouter on 30 Sep 2019, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
There was NO new fuel in Singapore.

David Tsurusaki from ExxonMobil (Global Motorsport Technology Manager) confirmed this.

It is still a question if the new fuel is ready for Japan.
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Albert Fabrega said on Movistar F1 that the fuel was almost ready for Sochi, but they decided finally to bring it to Japan. So yes, it seems that it will debut at Suzuka with the fresh spec 4 taken on Sochi

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 12:59
Albert Fabrega said on Movistar F1 that the fuel was almost ready for Sochi, but they decided finally to bring it to Japan. So yes, it seems that it will debut at Suzuka with the fresh spec 4 taken on Sochi
Thank you @Marti. I hope it is true. They said the same thing about Singapore, almost ready.
The Power of Dreams!

HPD

I think fuel is a very important part.
So how can you develop a new combustion concept without having the fuel ready?
Well, it may not be necessary, but I suppose it would be best if you want to bring updates.

godlameroso

Mudflap wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 11:38
godlameroso wrote:
Mudflap wrote:

You said the new fuel worked fine in Singapore then you said there is new fuel in Japan?

What exactly are you proposing we are going to see? Green flames shooting out of the exhaust? RB matching Ferrari's straight line performance?

Then there is the mystery Honda secret device that would take a year for others to match? Come on..
I said they brought fuel, whether it was used at any point, I don't know. Could have been on one or two cars, could have been used only in practice and not raced.

More power, whether it is enough to beat Ferrari, I have no clue. It is supposed to give another tenth or two in qualifying. Biggest benefit is that it allows more usage of quali mode in the race.

There isn't any fancy device, just something that happens to exhaust gases at EVO. I don't know exactly what they are doing. It is supposed to drive the turbine harder than conventional methods. This allows them to use a more free flow turbine and maintain the same response as before.

Fuel is to control knocking, whatever they are doing increases it at the highest modes. They can't use a higher mode for too long, maybe 2 quali laps per weekend and a half dozen semi quali laps during the race.

If you want specifics I don't know any. You should be able to piece together why you would get more power from an equally efficient yet higher flowing turbine. Fewer pumping losses or more energy to the MGU-H would be obvious, and represent a modest gain. Now add fuel you've been developing for this concept. That would unlock the rest of the power.

Will it be enough, I don't know, it is a power bump, and estimates point to it being worth .2 seconds per lap. If that is correct then the gap to Mercedes will be .1 instead of .3

Will that make Red Bull the fastest car? It'll get them closer, the chassis is still not quite good enough. Which is a shame because they brought a pretty sizable update for Singapore and it didn't give them the performance they wanted. They tried again in Sochi and it brought almost no performance.

Japan is next, very few low speed corners, mostly mid and high speed, plus lots of full throttle. It will be a huge challenge, however Pirelli is bringing the hardest rubber so this may hurt Ferrari.

Mercedes slow corner advantage won't count for much, as all the critical corners are in the mid speed range. We saw how close qualifying was between Red Bull and Mercedes in Silverstone, which is a very similar track. I expect the same here, except the Red Bull will be just a bit faster. Will it be enough, I don't know.
Saishū kōnā