Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

McMika98 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 23:12
Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 21:50
McMika98 wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 21:47
Honda should have two versions of turbo for next year, compact for high altitude circuits and larger for normal circuits. Vettel could not get past Albon with the slipstream, the engine was quite something.
It would count as one more 'unit' used though.
They are allowed 3 turbos per year, and Honda never had issues woth the turbo so far.
If they are allowed 3 turbos per year do the rules stop them swapping out a turbo that has not failed (for a bigger "high altitude" unit) then swapping back for the next event?
je suis charlie

Revs84
Revs84

gruntguru wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 00:00
McMika98 wrote:
20 Nov 2019, 23:12
Big Tea wrote:
19 Nov 2019, 21:50

It would count as one more 'unit' used though.
They are allowed 3 turbos per year, and Honda never had issues woth the turbo so far.
If they are allowed 3 turbos per year do the rules stop them swapping out a turbo that has not failed (for a bigger "high altitude" unit) then swapping back for the next event?
Yes, as long as the components are in the pool they can use them whenever they want across the year.

GhostF1
GhostF1

I can't imagine they'd have Mexico/Brazil specific turbine... it's likely where the Honda Jet collaboration has assisted the most. Having a turbine with the best compromise between altitudes, their aero division would have the most experience out of all 4 manufacturers in this area.

etusch

Redbull and Honda said that this performance is not only from power unit but from Redbull's aero structure.
I remember that Mercedes were talking about cooling needs of high altitute. Because of cooling they can not run Engine as good as they wanted or they needed at a1 ring.
So I don't think Engine manufacturers will prepare a high altitute spec turbo mgu-h unit but they will make more efficient cooling system instead of...

FrukostScones

FIA apparently also confiscated the RB/Honda fuel system parts...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Wouter

FrukostScones wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:27
That is just a rumor invented and spread by the Gazetta.
The original article in AMuS talks about an unknown team.
The Power of Dreams!

Polite
Polite

Wouter wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:40
FrukostScones wrote:
there are several newspapers saying that.. and also: amus is right while others are wrong? bah... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rumors talks about a protest of Ferrari against Honda m8 8)

Pyrone89

Please let the Honda be legal, or we might as well forego any chance of RBR challenging in 2020. Best case for F1 fans is of the Honda is fully legal with more to come, and the Mercedes is falling back a little and the Ferrari falls back a lot so we have PU-unity. Renault is not willing to make the effort so I ignore them and they only supply B-teams anyway.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

El Scorchio

Polite wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:45
Wouter wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
there are several newspapers saying that.. and also: amus is right while others are wrong? bah... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is one of the great things about F1 fandom and this forum. I LOVE how both on here and the Ferrari PU thread, those who support either Ferrari or RBR are trashing or denying all the rumours and speculation about foul play on their team's part and what's been seized and for what purpose, but at the same time really questioning the opposition's integrity in the same matter.

Bill
Bill

The Honda fuel system is being used for comparison purposes not because they are suspicious of foul play

Polite
Polite

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:58
Polite wrote:
Wouter wrote:

This is one of the great things about F1 fandom and this forum. I LOVE how both on here and the Ferrari PU thread, those who support either Ferrari or RBR are trashing or denying all the rumours and speculation about foul play on their team's part and what's been seized and for what purpose, but at the same time really questioning the opposition's integrity in the same matter.
quote! i think those are only rumors and i also think this inspection is only research wise to do others Tds for next year. Fia didn't find any irregularities and there was no formal accusations, which are public!, by any team in the last gps..!

mine was provocation

El Scorchio

Polite wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 14:10
El Scorchio wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:58
Polite wrote:

quote! i think those are only rumors and i also think this inspection is only research wise to do others Tds for next year. Fia didn't find any irregularities and there was no formal accusations, which are public!, by any team in the last gps..!

mine was provocation
Agree! I suppose I was mainly referencing a few posts quoted in your post, and this was right after looking as some very robust denials of the hint of Ferrari doing anything wrong on that thread. I just love how people react and interact to these things.

And you're right- it is all only rumour, but it's great looking at how people choose to believe what they want to believe in response to rumours- and sometimes actually in response to fact as well.

Wouter

Polite wrote:
Wouter wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Exactly, and all those news sites quoted AMuS because they came out with the news.

Maybe you should read fewer gossip sites, such as the Gazetta. M8 8)
The Power of Dreams!

LM10
LM10

Wouter wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
Out of all the PUs besides Ferrari, which one would make sense to be investigated at the moment? Mercedes and Renault have not shown any performance jump lately, but Honda has.

Wouter

LM10 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 14:40
Wouter wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
Out of all the PUs besides Ferrari, which one would make sense to be investigated at the moment? Mercedes and Renault have not shown any performance jump lately, but Honda has.
From AMuS:
Deshalb haben FIA-Kommissare in Brasilien offenbar bei drei Autos Teile des Benzinsystems konfisziert. Ein Ferrari,
ein Ferrari-Kundenteam und ein Auto eines Nicht-Ferrari-Teams. So kann man auch Vergleiche anstellen.
Translation:
That's why FIA commissioners in Brazil apparently confiscated parts of the gasoline system in three cars. A Ferrari,
a Ferrari customer team and a car of a non-Ferrari team. So they can also make comparisons.

It is only about comparisons and not about investigating the customer team or the unknown team.

Parts of every other team can therefore be used for this.
The Power of Dreams!