Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wouter

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

GhostF1 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 01:50
Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:45
seense wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:08

Too bad there are no subtitles.
You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.
How, there are only Japanese captions available lol
Slightly more extensive.
1) press subtitles, thereafter
2) Push settings
3) Push "Japanese (automatically generated)"
4) push below "translate automatically", other languages ​​will appear.
The Power of Dreams!

Juzh

Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 18:04
Viruzpunk wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 17:23
I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.
If I remember correctly GB ratios can be adjusted mid-year on every second year. So last year they were stuck with what they had from the start, this year 1 change will be allowed. From my crude observations they ran the shortest ratios on the grid last year. Red bull's 8th gear would be roughly equal to ferrari and renault's 7th for example. Merc was somewhere in between.

Alexf1

langedweil wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 02:16
Wouter wrote:
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
Somehow (and totally unfunded) I felt RB had been a little conservative with (or maybe even misinterpreted) the gearbox ratio's before the start of 2019, and were actually surprised by what was possible with the PU and developped mappings.
As said, based on totally nothing more than a hunch really ..
Think you're right. In Monza first part of the race the car was revving much higher on the straights in slip stream. Second part the rev limiter came in much sooner in slipstreams to prevent such high revs throughout the rest of the race. Thats one of the reasons he couldnt get past Perez I think.

Juzh

Alexf1 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:31
langedweil wrote:
Wouter wrote:
Somehow (and totally unfunded) I felt RB had been a little conservative with (or maybe even misinterpreted) the gearbox ratio's before the start of 2019, and were actually surprised by what was possible with the PU and developped mappings.
Think you're right. In Monza first part of the race the car was revving much higher on the straights in slip stream. Second part the rev limiter came in much sooner in slipstreams to prevent such high revs throughout the rest of the race. Thats one of the reasons he couldnt get past Perez I think.
Unable to get pass perez was a different issue, which wasn't explained at all. Verstappen would easily go past 350 in first part of the race, then in the second part while following perez he was unable to get higher than 345 with a massive slipstream and drs. Kvyat was also regularly going up to 360 kmh with the same gearbox. So it had to be something else.

Capharol

Wouter wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:00
GhostF1 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:45

You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.
Slightly more extensive.
2) Push settings
you really don't wanna do that because the translation to english is so bad, i stopped watching after 5 minutes because the translation was ridicolous

Wouter

Capharol wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 12:53
Wouter wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

Slightly more extensive.
2) Push settings
you really don't wanna do that because the translation to english is so bad, i stopped watching after 5 minutes because the translation was ridicolous
Not everyone wants English subtitels. A few other languages ​​are very easy to understand.
Moreover, everything is better than not being able to understand Japanese at all.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:52
Alexf1 wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Unable to get pass perez was a different issue, which wasn't explained at all. Verstappen would easily go past 350 in first part of the race, then in the second part while following perez he was unable to get higher than 345 with a massive slipstream and drs. Kvyat was also regularly going up to 360 kmh with the same gearbox. So it had to be something else.
Merc power and the low drag (less overall downforce) of the Racing Point made it a formidable car to overtake around Monza and Max just ran out of tires (not enough advantage anymore to overtake one more car) in that phase of the race.

nzjrs

Capharol wrote:
Wouter wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

Slightly more extensive.
2) Push settings
It's not too bad. I could intuit what they meant most of the time in English. Switching to another language also helped for comparison.

Wouter

nzjrs wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 14:05
Capharol wrote:
It's not too bad. I could intuit what they meant most of the time in English. Switching to another language also helped for comparison.
Indeed, thats what I always do, and than compare if necessary.

Here is part one of the Honda ducumentary. @Seese posted part two already.

The Power of Dreams!

Juzh

Sieper wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:32
Juzh wrote:
Alexf1 wrote:

Merc power and the low drag (less overall downforce) of the Racing Point made it a formidable car to overtake around Monza and Max just ran out of tires (not enough advantage anymore to overtake one more car) in that phase of the race.
Yeah, it could also simply be down to lack of performance at that stage. Still seems strange though. Honda deployment strategies seemed a bit weird in that race. ~335-340 on the straight leading to parabollica with no drs, then barely 340-345 kmh with drs and massive slipstream on the main straight :?: :wtf:

HPD

Asaki says that Tanabe is a very careful person, but he is also a competitor. Then Tanabe decides to put full power the PU in Austria to get the victory. It is good to read this. #Engine mode 11 position 5

Another interesting thing is the graphics they show, how they solve the problems of MGU-H

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 14:33
Sieper wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:32
Juzh wrote:

Yeah, it could also simply be down to lack of performance at that stage. Still seems strange though. Honda deployment strategies seemed a bit weird in that race. ~335-340 on the straight leading to parabollica with no drs, then barely 340-345 kmh with drs and massive slipstream on the main straight :?: :wtf:
I agree, that was the single most important thing they used (hopefully, and had to apparently) 2019 for. Learning the deployment strategy for the engine in combination with the RB15. Hopefully now they have a better database/accuracy for the deployment/mappings for the 2020 campaign.

Jaisonas

Juzh wrote:
Alexf1 wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Wasnt it something along the lines of that limiter issue they had with too much slipping on curbs?

Capharol

to the person who rated me negativ on the translation of the video

if these translations make any sense to you, then you should start working for google translate.....
and these is only a few seconds of material that is translated, and i am not changing the translation all the time when the translation is BS

and think twice before you rate me negativly, not sure who it is but in 3 posts i made lately suddenly all 3 got rated negativ so i am asking the mods to turn these back and warn the person or persons in question to leave personal vendetta not influence their judgement

or even better, scratch the negativ rating at all

nzjrs

Capharol wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 19:51

if these translations make any sense to you, then you should start working for google translate.....
Oh what a silly thing to argue about