Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Sasha
Sasha

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Autosport today wrote that the PU would of been smaller but RB already designed the car.
So in 2022 expect even more compact PU.
I expect a complete new design PU for 2022.
HRD( HRC) is working crazy hours now to have it ready in time for Pre-season test.

Wouter

Sasha wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 12:42
Autosport today wrote that the PU would of been smaller but RB already designed the car.
HRD( HRC) is working crazy hours now to have it ready in time for Pre-season test.

The Japanese article in Autosport.web is talking about the 2021 PU, which suddenly became a lot smaller during last winter.
That was actually the (more compact) 2022 PU, but it was used a year earlier, because they would stop with F1.
RBR has adapted to this. This article is not about the upcoming year, but about the past winter period '20/'21. :wink:

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/773082?all

Translated by DeepL:

First is the teamwork between Red Bull and Honda. Immediately after announcing that it would end its F1 race in 2021, Honda decided to launch a new skeleton power unit one year ahead of schedule. As the name suggests, the outer dimensions of the power unit of the new skeleton were significantly different from those of the conventional one. The dimensions of the cylinder head have been changed, the camshaft spacing has been significantly reduced, and the valve angle has also been changed, making it more compact overall. Furthermore, with the change of the skeleton itself, other elements and accessories that make up the power unit were also reviewed, so it became similar to the conventional skeleton.

The Red Bull side was forced to make changes because it was already designing a new car for 2021 with the conventional skeleton, but Red Bull was willing to accept Honda's proposal without showing a disgusting face. That's because the Red Bull team was willing to put in any effort to win.

In this way, Red Bull Honda was ready to compete with Mercedes as a package for the first time since the introduction of the power unit in 2014.
The Power of Dreams!

Sasha
Sasha

Apologies

Wouter

Sasha wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 20:55
Apologies
You don't have to apologize for that. Nice of you anyway.

Was just a small mistake by reading too fast probably.
The Power of Dreams!

Sasha
Sasha

Read to fast but HRD/ HRC will have a complete new PU for 2022.
There last PU design then it goes to RB to maintain until 2026.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Sasha wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 23:27
Read to fast but HRD/ HRC will have a complete new PU for 2022.
There last PU design then it goes to RB to maintain until 2026.
What needs to be completely new?

It seems like a great package as is.

Sasha
Sasha

I think there was things left out of the 2021 PU Because it was a late decision to use the 2022 PU Design in 2021.
I think the 22 PU will be the full 22 and the 23 PU design added and I think that will mean almost a complete new PU

I could be wrong but HRD/ HRC are working like it's a complete new PU and that is why they shared so much of the 21 PU so soon.
The new PU will be even more advance because our insider on this site has the okay to do it finally from the President of Honda.

KAIZEN

Self-ignition is commercially available from Mazda.
It's a technology that can be done with a gasoline engine.

gruntguru
gruntguru

henry wrote:
29 Dec 2021, 17:12
Is it possible this partial self ignition approach will give more consistent combustion? Thanks In normal or jet ignition the flame front has to have a consistent distribution of mixture through which to progress. Auto ignition makes the gas ignite however it’s distributed.
Probably the opposite. Auto ignition of premixed charge is always very tricky to get right. HCCI is the ultimate example where the entire charge is premixed and auto-ignites at the same instant at multiple locations. You can imagine that getting this to happen at the correct crank angle when you are relying on the temperature and AFR (among other things) to be at the precise values required for auto-ignition to occur.

In short the advantage is rapid combustion close to TDC, allowing maximum expansion and work extraction after the combustion is complete. Consistent combustion will actually be much more difficult with this strategy. On the upside, the presence of spark initiated TJI means they have a fallback position if self-ignition does not occur in all or part of the remaining charge. The cycle will complete at the slightly slower rate usual with TJI followed by flame-front propagation through the remaining charge.
Last edited by gruntguru on 02 Jan 2022, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
je suis charlie

Wouter

Sasha wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 02:30
The new PU will be even more advance because our insider on this site
has the okay to do it finally from the President of Honda.
You mean @Wazari? You know he's retired and doesn't work for Honda anymore?
He has done very important work for the ICE which has been used last season.
Or do you mean anyone else?
The Power of Dreams!

hasika
hasika

Sasha wrote:
31 Dec 2021, 12:42
They article in Autosportweb just wrote the RB16B was already designed around RA620H-type PU when Honda told the team they want to introduce the 2022PU to this season,which means RB had to modify the carbody.But RB accepted Honda’s suggestion very quickly,because RB want to win,no matter how many work was added(to modify the chassis and areo parts).

Snorked
Snorked

Charge Air Cooler Bypass 2

google translate
https://f1-motorsports-gp.com/honda/hon ... 1h-1014hp/
The charge air cooler and the intercooler's the thing.

Intercooler through (bypass)say that,2 is 2nd from? 2 the book about?

Honda and Red Bull among CB2 called.

Excessive boost pressure to release the POV(pop off valve), the intercooler, after passing through the Plenum chamber from the front of the pod to return to set.

CB2, the intercooler before you pass through the exhaust connected to.

POV is the compressor in the compressed air after the pod back to compression in order to have energy to have not-so-genius by always being smiling and happy.

CB2, the compressed air of excess exhaust connected to the exhaust turbine to turn the power of the energy loss is minimized.

In addition, it intercooler cooling and this itself is the energy consumption.

Cold air connection than the hot air of the turbine is a good thing, this simple device is a plurality of energy efficiency improvement effect.

Open when regenerative energy is equivalent to the calculation of more than 10% increase things to say.

"This,it had not just one, I"by Honda engineers Yamada

ispano6

KAIZEN wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 03:41
After watching the NHK 2021 Honda special they make clear that what Honda has come up with is a new innovation so I wouldn't say that Honda's technology is "commercially" available, yet.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 20:11
Carbon nanotubes are far from ready for use yet. Still a pie in the sky application. The contacts of carbon nantoube to metal is your problem... And actually making the nanotube without defects....

Lithium metal batteries should be ready in a few years. About a 30% improvement in density can be expected.
Looks like I was right after all (I mentioned this possibility in August of last year). As shown in the NHK BS1 2021 Special program, Honda did in fact incorporate carbon nanotubes into their upgraded battery! =D>
This innovation was finally brought to the track during the 2021 mid-season after a decade of testing and development. It's awesome to see that it went into Formula 1 and now will be one of the core technologies that future Honda vehicles will use. In the documentary, Asaki is immensely proud and pleased and mentions that there will be an impact "for the rest of his life" in how much of what was learned in F1 will go toward road cars. We may even see a production car with Honda HCCI engines running on biofuels and without the entire line-up going all electric.

mclaren111

ispano6 wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 07:34
KAIZEN wrote:
01 Jan 2022, 03:41
After watching the NHK 2021 Honda special they make clear that what Honda has come up with is a new innovation so I wouldn't say that Honda's technology is "commercially" available, yet.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 20:11
Carbon nanotubes are far from ready for use yet. Still a pie in the sky application. The contacts of carbon nantoube to metal is your problem... And actually making the nanotube without defects....

Lithium metal batteries should be ready in a few years. About a 30% improvement in density can be expected.
Looks like I was right after all (I mentioned this possibility in August of last year). As shown in the NHK BS1 2021 Special program, Honda did in fact incorporate carbon nanotubes into their upgraded battery! =D>
This innovation was finally brought to the track during the 2021 mid-season after a decade of testing and development. It's awesome to see that it went into Formula 1 and now will be one of the core technologies that future Honda vehicles will use. In the documentary, Asaki is immensely proud and pleased and mentions that there will be an impact "for the rest of his life" in how much of what was learned in F1 will go toward road cars. We may even see a production car with Honda HCCI engines running on biofuels and without the entire line-up going all electric.

That would be Fantastic... :D :D I'm sooo Tired of this EV Nonsense...

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

According to the FERRARI their ‘superfast’ developed combustion (development headed by Wolf Zimerrmann) said that this development goes closer and closer to the principles known in diesel engines without arriving at the HCCI solution that could Easley do without the spark plug to ignite the compressed charge. That report highlights the important contribution played in this development of attaining the highest possible compression pressure and fuel injection pressure to the maximums allowed by the rules as well as the importance of turbulent motions of the charge air to positively influence the speed of the flame propagation, giving more homogeneity to ensuring a fast ignition.