Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Sorry if i did not notice it, but I can't found a rule that allows the cooling outlets "outer" (1000mm) template to intersect the suspension template.

cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:Sorry if i did not notice it, but I can't found a rule that allows the cooling outlets "outer" (1000mm) template to intersect the suspension template.
The suspension templates can't be inside the cooling outlet outer template. In K4.2, "Within these templates there must be nothing but empty space (no bodywork, supplied parts, wheels)" - we are considering the suspension templates as supplied parts, I will look at the wording of this to make it clear what is a 'supplied part'.

RicME85

Ok....so the rules say 'bodywork' must be no less than 10mm. Is the floor classed as bodywork?

cdsavage

Yes, anything that you model (other than the inlet and outlet surfaces) are bodywork.

cdsavage

New rule package draft available on the KVRC site: http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... lenge-2015

Among a number of small tweaks, the front crash structure rules have been changed as mentioned previously, and the diffuser regulations have changed (there was a loophole with the way they were previously worded).

We're very close to having a definitive release - other than any bits and pieces we may have overlooked, there's really only one thing which may still change - the height of the diffuser might be lowered slightly (from 360mm).

We've also released some 'starter' parts to help those with less time to spend on modeling. The central bodywork forming the nose, tub and gearbox area are included, along with some bodywork covering the wheels.

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:Yes, anything that you model (other than the inlet and outlet surfaces) are bodywork.
Another question baout minumum thickness: the rear end of the wing profile can contain a cusp or must be rounded? In that case: with which is the minimum radius allowed?

cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:
cdsavage wrote:Yes, anything that you model (other than the inlet and outlet surfaces) are bodywork.
Another question baout minumum thickness: the rear end of the wing profile can contain a cusp or must be rounded? In that case: with which is the minimum radius allowed?
The sharpened trailing edge provision in K1.2 would allow you to bring the trailing edge of the wing to a sharp edge, but we will be lenient in judging the thickness of the rear wing anyway.

CAEdevice

cdsavage wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
The sharpened trailing edge provision in K1.2 would allow you to bring the trailing edge of the wing to a sharp edge, but we will be lenient in judging the thickness of the rear wing anyway.
Ok, thanks.

What do you nean with "lenient"? If the airfoli ends with a cusp, I think that the thicness measured in that area will be less than 10mm.

I think that the wings (rear and front if there is one) could be considered with a smaller thickness (2mm) and a rounded edge (2mm).

cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:What do you nean with "lenient"? If the airfoli ends with a cusp, I think that the thicness measured in that area will be less than 10mm.

I think that the wings (rear and front if there is one) could be considered with a smaller thickness (2mm) and a rounded edge (2mm).
As it is, a wing profile ending in a 'cusp', with local thickness less than 10mm, would be legal since K1.2 allows a sharpened trailing edge. By 'lenient' I mean that the minimum thickness and leading edge rules will only be loosely applied for the rear wing, as long as the wing profiles are each at least 10mm thick at some point along their chord then you will be fine.

I'm reluctant to include separate thickness rules for the rear wing since this adds more complexity to what is already a difficult thing to measure/judge.

RicME85

I too was curious about this but after looking at the new supplied parts it answered my question :)
(The area behind the front wheel comes to a point)

CAEdevice

Hi, maybe I've made confusion with the last CAD update, but I can't find the exact dimensions of the wheels (PS: the 2015 car design officially started today!)

cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:Hi, maybe I've made confusion with the last CAD update, but I can't find the exact dimensions of the wheels (PS: the 2015 car design officially started today!)
Sorry, I forgot to include the CFD parts in the latest update. A separate link for them has been added on the KVRC site.

The wheels aren't supplied as part of the main guide file since they don't have any bearing on the actual rules. There's one exception, some of the outer templates are specified to not intersect the wheels, but we intend to change this to "wheel wells" or something similar.

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:The wheels are in this file - http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... ects=0&d=1
cdsavage wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:Hi, maybe I've made confusion with the last CAD update, but I can't find the exact dimensions of the wheels (PS: the 2015 car design officially started today!)
Sorry, I forgot to include the CFD parts in the latest update. A separate link for them has been added on the KVRC site.

The wheels aren't supplied as part of the main guide file since they don't have any bearing on the actual rules. There's one exception, some of the outer templates are specified to not intersect the wheels, but we intend to change this to "wheel wells" or something similar.
Thanks!