2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring

Anyone knows why they ran so long gears back in V10 days? He barely hits 7th for a split second before braking for corners. Seems like a lot of wasted acceleration?

mertol

I'm not sure they do - the camera switched right on the longest straight but maybe for drafting? Maybe they didn't have time to change the ratios.

Godius

Are they still allowed to overrun the track limits on turn one?

NTS
NTS

Godius wrote:Are they still allowed to overrun the track limits on turn one?
No way. But I think even in that time it was not allowed... [Insert rules-do-not-apply-to-red-cars joke here]

I do love the sound of that time. And it's interesting to see that the gearboxes were less advanced back then, you see the helmet move quite a lot on up-shifts. While the current gearboxes are so fast I think this movement almost doesn't happen?

SiLo

Slightly off topic, but that was an epic lap after missing the first corner and having a huge moment at the second.
Felipe Baby!

MercedesAMGSpy

iotar__ wrote:- Private GP of one of the teams, behold American wrestling F1. Sport where a team can co-own and co-run the whole circus on financial, sporting and technical basis, it can also own a track and a race. What are the chances of Red Bull getting any penalties compared to let's say Lotus or Force India?
- Hamilton will lead for a change and Rosberg will overtake him during pitstops, because Mercedes "learned" in Canada that giving faster driver (or unnecessarily overcooking brakes driver) same tyres and pitstop one lap later can give him a lead, imagine that.

- Track looks like simpler, faster, less developed Bahrain
Well, without Red Bull we couldn't race here, but maybe you know another country in the Middle East with a lot of oil money and no spectators? That is also an option.

Cam

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Well, without Red Bull we couldn't race here, but maybe you know another country in the Middle East with a lot of oil money and no spectators? That is also an option.
=D> Red Bull are about the only ones joining the dots between revenue and crowds. It can be done. Personally, I hope it's a great race, no matter who wins, and that it's here to stay for a while.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Juzh

SiLo wrote:Slightly off topic, but that was an epic lap after missing the first corner and having a huge moment at the second.
That was the racing line back in the days. he didnt miss the corner at all. everyone did it.

raymondu999

Laptime predictions? Strategy predictions?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mertol

Pole will be 1:07.5 race will be with 2 stops ;)

f1316

NTS wrote:
Godius wrote:Are they still allowed to overrun the track limits on turn one?
No way. But I think even in that time it was not allowed... [Insert rules-do-not-apply-to-red-cars joke here]
Watch the 2003 race - absolutely every car went wide at turn one.

ian_s

Juzh wrote: Anyone knows why they ran so long gears back in V10 days? He barely hits 7th for a split second before braking for corners. Seems like a lot of wasted acceleration?
wasnt 2003 the start of qualifying with the same fuel as you start the race with?

NTS
NTS

f1316 wrote:Watch the 2003 race - absolutely every car went wide at turn one.
I know, but the questions was whether it was allowed and I think the rules about track limits were in place in 2003? It's just that everybody did it, and nobody got a penalty for it, but it wasn't allowed by the rules right?

WaikeCU

I think it's just the case that everybody did it and it would be pretty ridiculous to penalize everybody.

Pieoter

I believe that as a rule of thumb the stewards will only penalize going outside the track if you shorten the track length (cut on the inside of a corner).