steering wheel torque - how much do drivers cope with?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
andylaurence

Re: steering wheel torque - how much do drivers cope with?

yessamgerg wrote:
andylaurence wrote:Interesting stuff. Does the car oversteer quite a bit at low speed? It seems more stable at higher speeds.
Not really, this test was done at the end of a long test season right before leaving for our second competition so a this point the car was handling pretty much exactly as intended. do you have a spot that illustrates the question, I can go into the log and look at what else is happening, could be on throttle or something....
I noticed it at 0:09-0:11 as a large and varied steering force coupled to a small oscillation of the wheel, suggesting the driver was balancing the rear of the car with the steering inputs. There's no corrective input or oscillation of force in the same way throughout the trace, with the exception of some corrective action at 0:49. The lack of oscillations at high speed (0:05-0:07 and 0:39-0:40) suggest that the car is more stable. I've not seen steering torque data before though, so perhaps this is normal.

yessamgerg

Re: steering wheel torque - how much do drivers cope with?

andylaurence wrote:I noticed it at 0:09-0:11 as a large and varied steering force coupled to a small oscillation of the wheel, suggesting the driver was balancing the rear of the car with the steering inputs. There's no corrective input or oscillation of force in the same way throughout the trace, with the exception of some corrective action at 0:49. The lack of oscillations at high speed (0:05-0:07 and 0:39-0:40) suggest that the car is more stable. I've not seen steering torque data before though, so perhaps this is normal.
Interesting point. Our drivers tend to like a car that is pretty loose at low speed. The courses that it runs on tends to have a lot of very tight hairpins and such so drivers like a car that can rotate at low speeds. Conversely they tend to like a car that pushes (at least a little) at higher speeds (in this case higher is like 45+ mph). We tend to run our Cp pretty substantially rearward of our CG because most of the high speed maneuvers are big offset slaloms which can get hairy with a car that is loose.