Sauber C34 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sauberfan
sauberfan

Re: Sauber C34 Ferrari

Ericsson showed an attractive starting the test. Two months ago, the young Swede complained about (the C33) problems, mentioning the little braking stability and a little edifying handling in fast corners.
Both concerns areas appear to be eliminated with the new Sauber, so he has more confidence in the car. Marc Surer is striking: "Ericsson could brake later into the curves as Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes."The Swede is happy:" It's always good to start a winter test s with no problems. This is a good base. "

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/6 ... enzen.html

nokivasara
nokivasara

Ericson must have enjoyed his first outing in the C34, coming from a dissapointing first year in F1 with Caterham.

They racked up lots of laps and they certainly did better than I would have thought a month ago. Or yesterday for that matter :lol:

adrianjordan

Does look better on track than in photos, even warming to the shade of blue...

I think the actual problem for me is the lack of sponsors to break up the sea of blue...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

sauberfan wrote:Ericsson showed an attractive starting the test. Two months ago, the young Swede complained about (the C33) problems, mentioning the little braking stability and a little edifying handling in fast corners.
Both concerns areas appear to be eliminated with the new Sauber, so he has more confidence in the car. Marc Surer is striking: "Ericsson could brake later into the curves as Nico Rosberg in the Mercedes."The Swede is happy:" It's always good to start a winter test s with no problems. This is a good base. "

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/6 ... enzen.html
Surely Marc Surer must be joking... That Merc wasn't running anywhere near flat out

Moose
Moose

NoDivergence wrote:Surely Marc Surer must be joking... That Merc wasn't running anywhere near flat out
He's not trying to assert that the Merc is running flat out, only that the Sauber is more stable on the brakes than the Caterham was last year.

No big surprise there ofc, you'd be worried if it wasn't.

FW17

Moose wrote:
NoDivergence wrote:Surely Marc Surer must be joking... That Merc wasn't running anywhere near flat out
He's not trying to assert that the Merc is running flat out, only that the Sauber is more stable on the brakes than the Caterham was last year.

No big surprise there ofc, you'd be worried if it wasn't.
The comparison made was on the C33 not the Caterham

stefan_
stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 2 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (02.02.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

PlatinumZealot

Now that is a good example of lightweight structure design.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM
PhillipM

There's a few places saying a few teams keep trying to get a good look at the rear end of the Sauber every time it comes through the pitlane - what are they looking for that we've missed?

michaelclarke

PhillipM wrote:There's a few places saying a few teams keep trying to get a good look at the rear end of the Sauber every time it comes through the pitlane - what are they looking for that we've missed?
All I can see so far is the, Mercedes style, u-shaped starter motor hole area in the diffuser. That's the only *slightly* unusual thing I can see (from limited images).

Looking forward to hearing what it's all about. Could it be the secret Scarbs was talking about?
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

michaelclarke

I could be chasing the wrong thing here but..

If you look at the Sauber C34 in the launch images, it has quite a decent amount of rake:

Then if you look at it again, while testing (in one of the first 2 days at Jerez I think), the amount of rake is much less. To me it actually looks very flat to the ground:

I don't know what the car was doing at this point, so again I may be barking up the wrong tree. It would be unusual for them to use a small amount of rake when the goal recently has been to jack it up.

Maybe it's just for testing, I'm not sure. If anyone else has explanations/ideas let me know!
Last edited by michaelclarke on 03 Feb 2015, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

michaelclarke

Going on with this, it looks like the Jerez Sauber has been lowered quite significantly at the rear. Take a look at the amount of leading edge slot that's visible behind the tyre at launch:

And again in Jerez:

Have a look and again, let me know if this is significant.
Last edited by michaelclarke on 03 Feb 2015, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sebp

Soft rear springs plus our favourite testing topic, the angle at which the picture was taken, maybe?
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

michaelclarke

Sebp wrote:Soft rear springs plus our favourite testing topic, the angle at which the picture was taken, maybe?
Would that bring a benefit over hard springs? Maybe to stall something/reduce drag at high speed?

Haha yes, it could definitely be that too. I've already been caught out a few times myself by that old trick.