Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jetho

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Steven wrote:
jetho wrote:
Can somebody please tell me what purpose the fin in front of the cockpit opening serves? I've been wondering this for a long time but couldn't find an answer. It's also found on other cars in different designs.
It's to meet the technical regulations that require the driver's helmet to always sit underneath a straight line between the front of the cockpit and the top of the roll hoop. Because the FIA measures this via a bar that is put onto the car on its centreline, this fin virtually raises the front of the cockpit, making it easier to fit the driver (and it allows him a slight improvement in visibility).
Thanks for the answer. I knew about the rule but didn't thought it was connected with that fin.

Blackout

New view on the intake plenum (engine facing the wrong direction)

tuj
tuj

You guys seen this? http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/ ... cy-in-2015

Apparently Ferrari picked up 40hp in fuel + combustion chamber optimization alone. Merc seems to have gained at least 40hp from their 2016-spec engine, a lot of that coming from the combustion concept.

TK96

Can somebody please tell me what purpose the fin in front of the cockpit opening serves? I've been wondering this for a long time but couldn't find an answer. It's also found on other cars in different designs.[/quote][/quote]

I also have a question about this picture. Why does the transparent visor/windshield have an angular shape and not the usual flat one. (why do F1 cars even have them? Is it a regulation thing?)

BanMeToo

Like JDC123 said, it breaks up a little bit of the turbulence that crashes into a driver's helmet.

PlatinumZealot

TK96 wrote:
Can somebody please tell me what purpose the fin in front of the cockpit opening serves? I've been wondering this for a long time but couldn't find an answer. It's also found on other cars in different designs.
[/quote]

I also have a question about this picture. Why does the transparent visor/windshield have an angular shape and not the usual flat one. (why do F1 cars even have them? Is it a regulation thing?)[/quote]

The picket fence shape has less drag than a flat shape, but is almost as effective at deflecting the air. It is an aero trick.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Blackout wrote:New view on the intake plenum (engine facing the wrong direction)
http://cdn.f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... gine-2.jpg
This shows the variable trumpets are vertical.There is an adjustable "H" chamber in the middle it looks like. Almost like a Porsche engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JDC123

PlatinumZealot wrote:
TK96 wrote:
I also have a question about this picture. Why does the transparent visor/windshield have an angular shape and not the usual flat one. (why do F1 cars even have them? Is it a regulation thing?)
The picket fence shape has less drag than a flat shape, but is almost as effective at deflecting the air. It is an aero trick.
As i've explained a few pages ago it is to stop/slow down the turbulent air hitting the drivers hand through corners where it would otherwise be exposed above the cockpit. I don't think it is a regulation to have one as i think i saw pictures of the mclarens after the race on sunday without them (they need as little drag as possible atm). The drag is negligible when you consider the amount of drag the car produces in total, and just like cockpit cooling ducts it is there to improve the comfort of the driver, something which will provide a much greater performance boost over a race distance.

lio007

SectorOne

JDC123 wrote:As i've explained a few pages ago it is to stop/slow down the turbulent air hitting the drivers hand through corners where it would otherwise be exposed above the cockpit. I don't think it is a regulation to have one as i think i saw pictures of the mclarens after the race on sunday without them (they need as little drag as possible atm). The drag is negligible when you consider the amount of drag the car produces in total, and just like cockpit cooling ducts it is there to improve the comfort of the driver, something which will provide a much greater performance boost over a race distance.
The only reason Nico´s winshield is jagged is because he likes more buffeting.
He likes more air hitting his helmet then Hamilton and that´s why his is jagged and Lewis screen is not.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ChrisF1

JDC123 wrote:I don't think it is a regulation to have one as i think i saw pictures of the mclarens after the race on sunday without them (they need as little drag as possible atm).
Agree, I am pretty sure it isn't, and Mark Webber states in his book that Newey had Red Bull run without a screen at Monza and the lift would give him bruises from the helmet straps :x

ferkan

http://f1-insider.com/mercedes-neuer-wundermotor/

"Mercedes new superengine"

Can someone who knows a thing or two about German language translate this? From Google translate I get that they use some interesting "trick" and that one other engine manufacturer is playing with the same trick.
Here so little fuel is injected into the combustion chamber, the mixture would not burn with a normal spark. Therefore, the pre-chamber is then also enriched with an extremely small amount fuel, which is ignited by a spark plug in the prechamber.

Result: The hot gas wisps ignite the lean mixture in the rest of the cylinder. In particular in the partial load range Mercedes can thus save fuel which can be used in full throttle for more power.

Holm86

ferkan wrote:http://f1-insider.com/mercedes-neuer-wundermotor/

Can someone who knows a thing or two about German language translate this? From Google translate I get that they use some interesting "trick" and that one other engine manufacturer is playing with the same trick.
Here so little fuel is injected into the combustion chamber, the mixture would not burn with a normal spark. Therefore, the pre-chamber is then also enriched with an extremely small amount fuel, which is ignited by a spark plug in the prechamber.

Result: The hot gas wisps ignite the lean mixture in the rest of the cylinder. In particular in the partial load range Mercedes can thus save fuel which can be used in full throttle for more power.
Sounds like an old diesel engine with pre combustion chamber. Just with the spark plug mounted in the pre-chamber, instead of the injector??

siskue2005

Here is the video of pre combustion chamber

XRayF1

ferkan wrote:http://f1-insider.com/mercedes-neuer-wundermotor/

I will try.

"The trick: a double injection together with a pre-chamber ignition.

Is this case only little fuel is injected into the (main) chamber, which would not ignite the mix using a standard spark. Therefore, the pre-chamber gets enriched with another extremely small quantity of fuel, but which in turn gets ignited by a spark plug in the pre-chamber.

The result: the hot gas strands inflame the meagre mix in the rest of the cylinder.
Especially under partial load, Mercedes may save fuel, which they may then spend at full throttle passages for more power."