Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
adrianjordan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06 Speculation

Facts Only wrote:...variable length inlet trumpets.
Please could someone explain these in (as) simple (as possible) terms as they're a new concept to me...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Blackout

adrianjordan wrote:
Facts Only wrote:...variable length inlet trumpets.
Please could someone explain these in (as) simple (as possible) terms as they're a new concept to me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZW31F7McY

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 30 Jan 2015, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Harry_F1Fan

New bodywork over the side pods

Emerson.F

:o
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

dren

Nice view of the sidepod winglets. Very detailed.
Honda!

henra

GPR-A wrote: I am only debating the WIDTH of the nose structure. McLaren HAS a wide nose and Merc has opted for much leaner nose. Not sure why? When Merc knows the answers to creating such a complex nose, why are they going for leaner one, when in reality they could still have been aggressive.
With the new Nose regulations the tip is very low. When you go for a wide nose it is difficult to get enough undisturbed air to the tray and floor area. Squeezing it underneath a wide nose and through the Front Wing pillars will rob the air much of its velocity which is not good for underbody aerodynamics.
One way to get a bit around this problem is to force it alongside the nose. Ferrari does that with aggressive rounding, a very long nose and extreme toe-out of the Front Wing pillars. Merc seems to pursue a very similar path, just executed differently. As an advantage for the Merc Approach I see a bigger distance to the Y-250 vortex. With the Ferrari Approach (also last year's) getting no interferences of both flows might be a bit of a challenge.

McLaren seems to try something a little bit different but I haven't figured out what, yet.

SectorOne

Could the shorter nose also have anything to do with crosswinds?
So with a shorter nose it will not affect the front wings as much?

Probably a bad image as it seems the air is going the opposite direction of what i had in mind.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Advino116

SectorOne wrote:Could the shorter nose also have anything to do with crosswinds?

Probably a bad image as it seems the air is going the opposite direction of what i had in mind.

http://i.imgur.com/CM1eAqp.png
The image depicts the air flow in the case the car spins. I recognised it from a video that was shown during a talk by Sauber's TD at my university.

astracrazy

I don't know about anyone else, but i'm half looking forward to seeing what the w06 front wing will be like - if we get a change at all. The w05 wing was a thing of beauty.
SectorOne wrote:Could the shorter nose also have anything to do with crosswinds?

http://i.imgur.com/CM1eAqp.png
I see where your coming from but if it was a major factor of consideration then they would all have short noses. From that image, it looks like air going over the endplates would be more of a problem anyway (in that scenario)?

I tend to think keeping with a short nose was the best next thing, within the rules, to the w05 nose. To keep more of an evolutional step. From the side, the look nearly identical in angle/shape (atleast launch w05 spec)

kooleracer wrote:But this isn't the new chroma livery that they have been talking about right?
I was expecting Mclaren chrome maybe its because its just a really dull day. Get some sunshine on her and we'll see. From the very first pics you can see its more chrome

SectorOne

Advino116 wrote:The image depicts the air flow in the case the car spins. I recognised it from a video that was shown during a talk by Sauber's TD at my university.
My bad, so in the real world airflow is more or less always hitting the car head on?
astracrazy wrote:I see where your coming from but if it was a major factor of consideration then they would all have short noses.
Yea i had this little idea that simply accomplishing a short nose was so exhaustive in terms of R&D that most teams simply say forget it. Anyway forget it :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Artur Craft

SectorOne wrote: My bad, so in the real world airflow is more or less always hitting the car head on?
of course not. But crosswinds are not that much of a significant factor when designing your car as it is sort of an once in a while thing.
3m/s(typical values) wind won't affect aerodynamics that much.

They design more with yaw effect(happens in cornering) in mind and consideration.

My guess is that a longer nose will have a different effect during yaw condition airflow but to quantify it we would need CFD analysis.

f1motta

Mercedes W05 vs. W06 - front view - http://www.f1talks.pl/mercedes-w05-vs-w06

fawe4

Nose, after suspension, drops for a lot and is almost tinny compared to other teams. I've not idea how the managed to package that.