Bathurst

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

This years race went more smoothly, with fewer crashes/ safety car' interruptions..

It took a proper factory effort by team McLaren ( @ record pace), to defeat last year's winning Nismo GTR, with Bentley in 3rd.

Audi took 4th from M-B, so it really was a fair old shake, marque performance-wise..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

Luckily I only live 2 hours drive from the circuit in western Sydney. It is a mythical place and when you approach Bathurst and see the sign on the mountain it sends shivers up the spine. Even at the legal limit of 60km/h the track is magical to drive around. Can only imagine the buzz from driving at the speeds the v8's and GT's do.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

carisi2k wrote:Luckily I only live 2 hours drive from the circuit in western Sydney. It is a mythical place and when you approach Bathurst and see the sign on the mountain it sends shivers up the spine. Even at the legal limit of 60km/h the track is magical to drive around. Can only imagine the buzz from driving at the speeds the v8's and GT's do.
Yeah, as a special motor sport 'scenic drive' - Mt Panorama - is a must do, if you're in the locality..

Although it seems a tad bizarre/dangerous.. that two way traffic is permitted on it - as a 'scenic' road..
..& it is startling to see a vehicle coming at you on the racing line..
.. opposite to the racing track direction - which is so conditioned from watching the events there..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

J.A.W. wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Luckily I only live 2 hours drive from the circuit in western Sydney. It is a mythical place and when you approach Bathurst and see the sign on the mountain it sends shivers up the spine. Even at the legal limit of 60km/h the track is magical to drive around. Can only imagine the buzz from driving at the speeds the v8's and GT's do.

Yeah, as a special motor sport 'scenic drive' - Mt Panorama - is a must do, if you're in the locality..

Although it seems a tad bizarre/dangerous.. that two way traffic is permitted on it - as a 'scenic' road..
..& it is startling to see a vehicle coming at you on the racing line..
.. opposite to the racing track direction - which is so conditioned from watching the events there..
It isn't dangerous at all if you stick to the speed limit and obey the road rules. You just need to remember that it is a public road when it is open and not a race track. The police also like to hang out to make sure people aren't racing around the circuit at these times and to make sure you haven't taken 1 too many a drink from the wineries around the circuit.

There is also a motoring museum beside the circuit at the last corner. It has many historical cars for all types of motor racing in Australia and overseas. In the centre of town there is many things to see and do. I enjoy the ice cream parlour and as a bit of a train buff I always take in the train station where there is a steam train on display that was driven by one of our early prime ministers.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

carisi2k wrote:
J.A.W. wrote:
carisi2k wrote:Luckily I only live 2 hours drive from the circuit in western Sydney. It is a mythical place and when you approach Bathurst and see the sign on the mountain it sends shivers up the spine. Even at the legal limit of 60km/h the track is magical to drive around. Can only imagine the buzz from driving at the speeds the v8's and GT's do.

Yeah, as a special motor sport 'scenic drive' - Mt Panorama - is a must do, if you're in the locality..

Although it seems a tad bizarre/dangerous.. that two way traffic is permitted on it - as a 'scenic' road..
..& it is startling to see a vehicle coming at you on the racing line..
.. opposite to the racing track direction - which is so conditioned from watching the events there..
It isn't dangerous at all if you stick to the speed limit and obey the road rules. You just need to remember that it is a public road when it is open and not a race track. The police also like to hang out to make sure people aren't racing around the circuit at these times and to make sure you haven't taken 1 too many a drink from the wineries around the circuit.
Ah, no..

It is IMO - stupidly dangerous, esp' for visitors, to keep it as an undivided/unmarked two-way public drive..
& foolishly/needlessly so, given the predictable, yet easily avoidable outcome.. as common sense clearly dictates..
..notwithstanding sad old Aussie 'wowserism'..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

Only dangerous for imports who think they are racing Bathurst. Keep left and you will be fine. I have driven around the track in both directions many times with no issues what so ever.

If you had issues driving around the circuit at 60km/h then maybe you should not have a license.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

carisi2k wrote:Only dangerous for imports who think they are racing Bathurst. Keep left and you will be fine. I have driven around the track in both directions many times with no issues what so ever.

If you had issues driving around the circuit at 60km/h then maybe you should not have a license.
Do try & be serious Caro.. a license, or lack of it.. has zero to do with it..

No head-on/avoidance swerve crashes at Mt Panorama need happen.. at all - at whatever speed.. if its one-way..
Last edited by Steven on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

Actually, if the Bathurst/ N.S.W. state powers-that-be.. could shrug off their historically shown 'wowser' world-view..

IMO, it would be cool - if the Mt Panorama track could be run akin to the Nurburgring..
.. as an unlimited speed venue, for certified road-legal vehicles - even if it was only for a few days a week..
& say, 5/10 laps pay per go.. ( likely 'bout as long as regular car brakes could hack full-on work)..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

Another drama filled 12 hour GT endurance race... excellent racing in the heat ( mid-30's degrees C)..
... with a tad too much impatience/risk taking seemingly causing excessive crashing/safety car interventions,
& a few overtly dubious 'drive through' penalties 'awarded'... IMO...
...case in point, one given to the M-B/AMG of S. van Gisbergen, who, in a duel for the race lead near the end,
just popped a sub-class Porsche driven by A. Mac Pherson with a tail tag, who over-reacted by locking the brakes,
& inexorably/needlessly sliding nose 1st into the wall - just before the last turn..

Ironically, SvG lost the M-B/AMG on the top of the Mt, trying real hard & crashed out, even before getting the penalty notice..

One of SvG's Euro-team mates then had a melt-down, with a physical tantrum worthy of a 3 year old, &
stormed off - then went to the extent of verbally bagging him, in an on-camera interview shortly afterwards..

The extremely fast & economical Maranello M-S Ferrari which qualified on pole - won, with exemplary driving..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

'Ricky Bobby' wins the Bathurst 1000!

Actually a damn good performance by Will Ferrell look-alike & series funnyman David Reynolds, together with Luke Youlden,
to win today - in their fairly low budget Holden effort..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

J.A.W. wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am
Do try & be serious Caro.. a license, or lack of it.. has zero to do with it..

No head-on/avoidance swerve crashes at Mt Panorama need happen.. at all - at whatever speed.. if its one-way..
Why would they do that for. Have you ever driven around the Mt Panorama circuit backwards. That is just as fun as driving it the right way round. The thing you need to realise is that the circuit is also a tourist drive as it is quite spectacular at the top of the mountain. It also has drive ways on both sides of the road.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.
109
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 am
Location: Altair IV.

Re: Bathurst

Post

Safety..

It is an entirely predictable & avoidable crash causation factor..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

johnny comelately
johnny comelately
80
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bathurst

Post

Hoping I can take a liberty and expand the thread "Bathurst" to include the more traditional Bathurst 1000 endurance race for Australian (V8)Supercars that was spectacularly run a couple of days ago.
The particular issue is a safety matter that came up due to a wet race.
These current cars are very developed C of T platforms, which includes all the mandatory safety features, BUT fogging of the windscreens became a dangerous factor during this race and the solution was rag-bound sticks which totally complied with the rules that had there priorities just right by having to have some holding aspect to them so they wouldn't fly around the cabin (magnets taped on the stick).
So belting down a wet Conrod Straight at 270kph with one hand trying to wipe the fog off the inside of the screen.
my problem is with the rules that did not say functional demisters must be working but that you must have the stick held.

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

J.A.W. wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 am
Safety..

It is an entirely predictable & avoidable crash causation factor..
Not a 60km/h (official speed limit) it isn't. The circuit is heavily patrolled by the police to make sure people don't think they are lowdnesy or McLaughlin. People like myself can park alongside the track or visit one of the vineyards alongside the circuit.

A photo of mine from the circuit.
https://www.facebook.com/SydneyNswFoami ... =3&theater

User avatar
carisi2k
22
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Re: Bathurst

Post

johnny comelately wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm
Hoping I can take a liberty and expand the thread "Bathurst" to include the more traditional Bathurst 1000 endurance race for Australian (V8)Supercars that was spectacularly run a couple of days ago.
The particular issue is a safety matter that came up due to a wet race.
These current cars are very developed C of T platforms, which includes all the mandatory safety features, BUT fogging of the windscreens became a dangerous factor during this race and the solution was rag-bound sticks which totally complied with the rules that had there priorities just right by having to have some holding aspect to them so they wouldn't fly around the cabin (magnets taped on the stick).
So belting down a wet Conrod Straight at 270kph with one hand trying to wipe the fog off the inside of the screen.
my problem is with the rules that did not say functional demisters must be working but that you must have the stick held.
The problem is that with the move to polycarbonate windows demisters are not viable. When they used to have glass windows they put heating elements in the windows to prevent such an issue. The move from glass was as a safety precaution from Kangaroo or tyre strikes that used to shatter the windows.